Outward - Open world RPG with co-op and split screen!

Soldato
So this all finally clicked last night when on a solo run without the wife. Absolutely destroyed the bandit camp to the NW and now have the lieutenants weapon plus some fancy shield. It's also winter in my game and have found some fur armour which deals with that neatly.

I probably should try and leave the first map soon lol.

I am pretty hooked though.

Soldato
Yeah, I have been finding this game scratching an itch I didn't even know I had for an older style of more hardcore survival RPG mechanics. It's been horribly addictive as a result.

I did just leave the location where it was winter for a bit, and ended up amassing a load of silver through looting, mining and turning things I'd gathered into potions. Was surprised how much some of the equipment goes for after being used to scrouging 6 or 8 silver from weapons and armour in the first map.

So, I completed my build (rune mage/shaman/spellsword), geared myself up and am now pretty much self-sufficient and can take on anything I've yet come across (though it can be a bit hairy if I'm surprised and zerged).

Typically for me with these kinds of games, I got around 25 hours in having only done one actual mission! The rest of that time was exploring and getting my training and gear sorted. Definitely over the early game weakness and haring through the story now, though.

Liking the variety of ways to approach different situations. The combinations of builds provides a lot of options. I toyed with trying to make a tanky mage, then thought I'd want a super-hard-hitting melee brute, but then settled on a pew-pew glass cannon build instead. Even with my build I can decide to throw up runic protection and attack with an infused weapon, sling spells from distance, summon a ghost warrior, drop sigils and unleash AoE destruction, or kite and drop magic mines in my enemies' path. Combat is a bit light and floaty, but it always feels fun.

Soldato
I think you could make a really powerful build without magic anyway, looking at the skills available. If I ever do another playthrough I think I'd like to try a no-mana run. Plenty of cool-looking possibilities and relevant skills. Claymore- or greataxe-wielding walloper who leaps in and leaves a crater around him, sword-and-shield damage-sponge tank, offhand pistoleer, Legolas bow-user... I kind of want to try them all.

Associate
Been after this for a while ended up taking the plunge as it's only just over a tenner on key sites.

Good game so far although it's extremely hard - lots of enemies 1 shot kill me and there's lots of inventory management to do which results in frequent trips back to base.

I'm having a few GUI/control issues though....

I play using a 360 controller on pc but i find some functions don't seem to work.

When i press the button to crouch for stealth it brings up the menu instead.
Some of the other buttons such as sheathing weapons/turning lantern on/off seems to bring up inventory/character pages as well as doing the actions.
GUI seems to randomly switch between showing me controller buttons but then also keyboard ones..it's like a glitch of some kind you can see it flickering between the two really quickly.
I can't seem to shield bash either.
Can;t work out how to use the hotkey function to kick enemies.

Anyone playing with a 360 controller having similar issues or can you try for me to see if you replicate them?

Back
Top Bottom