1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking guide for newbies here...

Discussion in 'OC Archive' started by NF7-S, Oct 29, 2003.

1. kingdhesiii

Gangster

also what sort of cpu speeds can u expect with a 146 without chaning the multiplyer

2. smids

Soldato

You cannot unlock CPU multipliers (except with some older Athlon's IIRC - required some modding). They are locked upwards on all CPU's except the FX series which are completely unlocked. All other's are multi locked upwards but unlocked downwards. e.g. a 2.2ghz 11x multi San Diego can be set to 10x, 9x etc all the way down to 4x but cannot go upwards to 12x. When you understand more about overclocking, you will realise that changing the multiplier is a minor thing and basically is based on what RAM you have. Read my guide on page 7 of this thread in Orange text for more info on A64 overclocking. :)

3. AlanJ

Hitman

Hi there after reading this thread yesterday ive decided to attemp to overclock my CPU.

Specs;
    Abit KD7A
    AMD Athlon 2600+ (1,9mhz)
    2 x 512 not sure on make
    330FSP GROUP psu (330w)

I gave it ago yesterday and i managed to get 2140 mhz quite stable!
    Put back to default lastnight so i could do some work instead of crashing lo.

Ive been trying most of the day to overclock it, but today nothings happening at all. I went into bios changed the settings to yesterdays and it would boot! Had to remove the motherboard bat. ps was at 10x 186

Any ideas?

Many thanks

4. Baker

PermaBanned

Will follow this guide at the weekend to try and get max possible out of my PC. :)

5. Siders77

Hitman

I've had a read through this thread but still don't really grasp the concept of it. :o

I have an AMD 3200+ which has a locked mulit (As do all of the Venice cores I believe)

I put the FSB up to 220, the DDR SDRAM voltage(I think that's what it's called) up to 1.75. Then I got 2.4Ghz. I did this when I was on the phone to a mate who was helping me.

We ran into a problem though. I couldn't find anywhere that will let me adjust the RAM timings (That's what I was told to do)

Any help here?

Spec is in my sig if you need it. :)
    Cheers, Lee.

6. abhorsen

Associate

okay so i've read through this post and i might have missed it so feel free to nudge me in the right direction (page number etc) searched the whole forums too and i cant seem to find out where to unlock the multiplyer on my chip anywhere (see sig for specs), i heard it couldnt be done on the new 64's except the FX's but maybe thats just increasing... I havent tried an overclock of a CPU before so be gentle :D Thanx.

7. smids

Soldato

Hi, Welcome to the Forums :).

First - your sig is too big - 4 lines of text max OR a pic of 400x75 max and 20kb max + 1 line of text, just change it before a mod sees it ;).

Now, you have an 3200+ venice - 10x multi is the default multi on that. You can decrease this multi all the way to 4x but not increase it, only the FX's can do that and unfortunately no-one has figured out yet how to unlock them (damn AMD :p). If you want a good guide at clocking, if I do say so myself, look at my guide on P7 of this thread (orange writing, Crash course in clocking for n00bies :p). This will give you all the basics but I suggest a more detailed guide once you have the basics down. Venice's clock well, so I can see 2.5ghz easily. Good luck.

One more thing too...this thread is a guide thread only, we're only supposed to post guides here but I didn't want your post to go unanswered. Just ask in the main O/C'ing and Cooling forum for an advice on anything you don't understand after reading one of these guides. There is an amazing one at i4memory but I haven't got the link at the second - i'll see if I can dig it up for you.

8. Dyewitness

Hitman

Anyone have a P4 Northwood overclocking GUIDE???

9. P-NVIDIA-Andy

Associate

Hi guys, I'm a noob on the boord and to OC'ing :o, however, I was just wondering if anybody has managed to OC a similar setup to me. My specs and BIOS settings are listed below:

Specifications:

CPU: AMD Ahtlon XP 3200+ Barton Core
    Mainboard: MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum MS6750-E (No MBM Support)
    Memory: 2 Gig DDR3200 G.Skill 2GBZX

Defaults:
    1. CPU Speed: 2189MHz
    2. V-Core: 1.642
    3. Multiplier: x11.0
    4. FSB: 200.00MHz
    Memory Timings:
    1. T (RAS): 5
    2. T (RCD): 3
    3. T (RP): 2
    4. CAS (Latency): 2.0
    If anyone has any recommendations for me (such a noob), I would be extremely greatfull.

10. smids

Soldato

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, you won't get much of a response in here - this is a guides only thread. Start a new thread in the main forum and you'll get much more response.

Just a side note, your sig is too big. 400x75 and 20KB max + 1 line of text (like mine)
    OR
    4 lines of text. Another thing is that you aren't allowed .gifs. They just try to keep bandwidth down on here - just get it changed before a mod sees it.

11. P-NVIDIA-Andy

Associate

Thanks for the info there, new topic here.

12. Chronictank

Mobster

I found this guide when trolling around for info about how best to overclock my gear.
    No discredit to the authors in this thread but i found it very difficult mapping the instructions on there to the settings on my DFI Lanparty and uncovered this little jewel as a result :)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

I would like to add however that the guide is written for single core processors, so you need to run two instances of the program to test the stability of both cores, with Super Pi i simply copied the program folder, ran 2 instanced.
    ctrl+alt+delete to open task manager
    right click on one instance of Super Pi, and select "go to process"
    right click on the process and select "affinity", select 0
    repeat for the other instance of super pi and set the affinity to 1.
    For Prime95 go here:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17561094&highlight=prime+affinity

Enjoy ^^

Edit: Dfi-Street website was given to me by cavemaloc
    Link to prime 95 on duel core, i dont remember who gave me that sorry :<

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  13. Monstermunch

Wise Guy

Not wanting to disagree with people here, but that DFI street clocking info is a load of crap. It states things that just aren't true... Saying that you need to keep the HTT to around 2000 is a load of rubbish when dropping it to 3 x 200 has no effect whatsoever on performance!

14. drak3

Wise Guy

I have A8R32-MVP Deluxe. How I lock the PCIe on this mobo like the guide says? Thanks alot.

15. smids

Soldato

PCIe is locked already usually.

16. drak3

Wise Guy

Thanks man. This means I can move to step 2 now in the guide :(

oh you have the same cpu in your sig running at impressive speed :)

I ve been trying with mine for 5hours now and cant boot if I change a setting :/

17. smids

Soldato

Look into the HTT multi - make sure you aren't going over 1000mhz as some boards are very fussy. Over 200mhz FSB = drop HTT/LDT multi to 4x.

18. drak3

Wise Guy

If I understand correctly you mean the Hypertransport speed? Well after some hours reading threads I figured out that my motherboard is supposed to run stable up to 1500 and otherwise it sets the multi automatically to the best. But maybe I understood wrong :( Please help me if is not this. Thanks man.

19. drak3

Wise Guy

HTT/LDT multi to 4x and cant boot with 220Mhz FSB. All these people running 1Ghz more than me with this board cant be lying fs :(

20. comp builder

Hitman

how do i change the multiplier and vcore (i have a AMD Athlon 2000+ and a v333u motherboard)
    thanks