Overused movie sound effect

Soldato
OP
OP, is it the "Sauron having his finger chopped off" sound you mean?

Skip to 1:50

That's the first film I remember hearing/seeing it in.

That's it! That's the exact sound. Nice one. So what would that sound be called or described as? It's one of the most ubiquitous movie sounds depicting the awe and wonder of anything on a massive scale.

Man of Honour
That's it! That's the exact sound. Nice one. So what would that sound be called or described as? It's one of the most ubiquitous movie sounds depicting the awe and wonder of anything on a massive scale.

Thats actually (a little) different to the one in the pacific rim trailer but both are dopler type sounds to key something in motion (or sometimes when changing the speed of time i.e. preceeding slowmo effects). The use in the trailer and in many movies is part of the effect of a helicopter (or often futuristic flying vehicles) flypast.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not sure what it would be called, and I'm hesitant to Google for "Isildur taking Sauron's ring with his weapon"... :p

Soldato
The sound you're on about OP is a basic sinewave being swept in frequency downwards - usually in the 50Hz down region, sent to the LFE channel to give the subs a workout. It's a tactile kind of sound that's pretty much felt as much as heard, hence the use in films like Transformers (when Ratchet IIRC does a forward roll over a missile).

Soldato
I watched Resident Evil 3 last night and it reminded me of this thread: the generic whoosh noise when something ominous has passed across the screen without anyone noticing.

Soldato
Overused? Probably.

A more likely explanation is that you simply watch too many films. For the vast majority of people I'd argue they are a treat now and again :p.

Personally I love that sound effect.

Don
Lots of noises from Doom, the door open noise, there's a 'clunk' noise from Doom used a lot too.

Door creek, heard one used way too many times recently, can't remember what it was in now.

And of course the wilhelm scream.

Besides the scream, I don't see what they don't make their own site effects. Using the wilhelm is a long running joke, love hearing it :D

Soldato
OP
Overused? Probably.

A more likely explanation is that you simply watch too many films. For the vast majority of people I'd argue they are a treat now and again :p.

Personally I love that sound effect.

In all honesty, I really don't watch many movies at all, certainly not compared to many people. I haven't even seen dark knight rises yet or Ironman 2, to name only two blockbusters on my to see list. And yes, I think it's an awesome sound, but still overused. I cant imagine another sound in it's place though that would be as good.

Associate
My personal hate is the 'chuckling baby' effect.
It has been used on adverts for nappies, fabric conditioner, baby wipes and bubble bath.
The most recent, I think, was a Cow and Gate baby food ad- right at the end it cuts to a pudgy baby in a high chair, who does a 'he-he-he... Heh!' laugh.
This sample featured on the coverdisc of the very first edition of Future Music magazine, back in about '95, and struck both me and my musical friends immediately, for its sheer annoyance potential.

Back
Top Bottom