Parents - How old were you when your first child was born?

Soldato
I was 35 and the wife a bit younger, its very hard work and there is not right or wrong age, we had only been married a year and been together for 3 years.

We actually have 2 girls, 16 months apart, thats proper hard work. We want one more, not sure how long we wait, a part of us wants to wait till they are both at school (my suggestion of waiting till they are at uni was dismissed) or have another one sooner and get it all done with earlyish!

Get it smashed out mate! :p Imagine when the other 2 are at uni and having to do it all again for another 18yrs!! :eek:

Associate
I was 19, the Mrs was 19 too. It was over 20 years ago and we are still together, so was the right decision and we had one more 6 years later.
I dont think there ever is a right time as such, you just have to both decide you want kids then fit your life around it. if you wait for the right time you could be waiting forever!

Soldato
I will be 31 and my partner 29, currently 23 weeks pregnant with our first.

I've always looked at it from a point of view of how old I'd be at the child's 20th birthday, 50~ seems like a good match :)

Soldato
Also you need to remember, making a decision to try doesn't mean you will instantly fall pregnant. For many people it will take up to a year to conceive, the odds are something like 20% within 2 months and 85% will conceive by the end of the year.

Soldato
We were both 23. In hindsight, waiting would have been a better idea had we known how that year would have turned out. That was 13 years ago...

It all depends on your situation though as everyone's different.

Soldato
I was 31, wife was 30. Child is 3.

No 'right time' as such but the later in life one leaves it the more difficult to conceive it becomes. We were married nearly 10 years when we had our daughter and we were definitely in a good place financially - I would have said 5 years earlier would have made the sleepless nights that much easier though.

Caporegime
35, wife was 34.

I absolutely never wanted any and put it off for years. I only got married as a distraction tactic. I knew the end of the relationship would come when she would eventually give up waiting. I was incredibly selfish. In all other ways we fit.

To cut a long boring story short, I was wrong. Having my son was something I wish I'd done 10 years ago and maybe had another.

Soldato
Both 34, Oldest now 3 and we have a 1 year old, from Yorkshire.

It's certainly easier now than it would have been 10 years ago from a financial point of view (nursery costs), is hard work though!

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Both 32, had been married for 10 years.

Tried a couple of years earlier but lost one due to miscarriage.

Out daughter is 9 now and pretty much perfect.

Soldato
I was 31 and my fiancee was 32. Matilda is 3 years old now. There's no such thing as 'the right time' in my opinion. You could go on waiting for the right time and end up being to old to have kids. We live in the north.

Back
Top Bottom