Parents - How old were you when your first child was born?

Soldato
I thought you all lived in the UK, better together? Very poor to think that this is an English only forum.

hehe eddie when you drive through england all the signs say "THE NORTH" until past Manchester where you see the occasional sign for Scotland.

It's just the way it is.

There's the UK then there's reality. UK=England in most people's eyes not through any superiority complex it's just the way it is. The French call everyone in the UK Anglais even in their Broadsheets and on the news even when they are Scottish.

Associate
31, wife was 30. Im 34 now and we have three.
A 4, a 3 year and a 8 month old. No more for sure as I immediately got the snip when we found she was pregnant with baby #3.

Last edited:
Soldato
35 years old for the first, 38 for the second. Seems to work well enough (they are 5 and 2 now). I thought maybe we'd be 'old' parents at primary school but most seem to be 30s/40s.

Soldato
lol firstly you need to find the right person.

This doesn't always happen at 20.

I was 32 and the wife was 2 years older.

We would have had one earlier but it wasn't possible for various reasons (health related)

I'll be 50 when he's 18 still feel young and healthy and fit so no real worries about my age.

It is worth some consideration though for these people waiting. I mean if you ask anyone about their grandkids they're just as important if not more then their original children! All the pro's of having kids with none of the sleepless nights etc!

My son is lucky enough to still have great grandpartents (Just one set, on my side) but the gaps getting bigger traditionally which is a shame in a way.

Associate
I was 26 and my husband was 27. We're Southerners now, but Midlanders by birth!

We agreed that we'd want me to look after any children (rather than handing them off to childcare) so it had to be at a time when we could afford to have just one income for 4+yrs.
We'd been married for 4.5yrs and owned our own home for 3.5yrs.
Effectively I've given up my career to be a Mum. In 10yrs would I have had too much invested in that to have wanted to give it up?

So many factors to consider. There's definitely not one answer for everyone

Last edited:
Associate
I was 23 and so was my girlfriend when our little lad came into the world. He is 3 tommorow and its funny to see how much you grow up in 3 years.

V F

V F

Soldato
I thought you all lived in the UK, better together? Very poor to think that this is an English only forum.

Everyone knows what "The North", "The South" and "The Midlands" are. Likewise everyone knows where Scotland is so it doesn't all need spelling out unless you're being pedantic.

Funny thing is, all the English I've known and they refer the North to Newcastle. Plus most English refer Newcastle more of Scotland than England.

Soldato

Whats that got to do with it? It's typically how people born in England refer to themselves. I'm English, so when thinking of the north, I wouldn't include Scotland in that thinking because its a different country!

As we're all in the EU, maybe we should consider that everyone in the UK is from the North.

Soldato
We're trying right now. She's 28 and I'm about to turn 35. While there's never been a right time, now is as good as any. We have our house, business, careers and education. We can easily afford for her to stay at home with the child without any financial hardship. Add to the fact that she might have polycystic ovaries, we're in a hurry. I have to admit, the 'trying' have been fun but stressful. Made me feel like a yogurt dispenser at times without any thought for romance :p I need to produce daily and twice daily on weekends and it's been kept on a chart of some sort as she wants to know which encounter made her fall pregnant. Not that I believe for a second that you can be that accurate.

Back
Top Bottom