Paris Olympics 2024

Seems incredibly harsh to be given the boot from a single false start. Surely you should have warning and boot on second offence, even if it follows you through for the entire competition.

They dropped leniency for false starts because it led to multiple false starts in almost every race. I don't have a problem with the current rule - they know the rules and they need to practice in a way that means they don't fall foul of it.

They dropped leniency for false starts because it led to multiple false starts in almost every race. I don't have a problem with the current rule - they know the rules and they need to practice in a way that means they don't fall foul of it.
I get it, maybe I’m just being too empathetic to the athlete, all of that training, build up, everything, for nothing.

Maybe it's not really the same thing, but certain athletes get three chances to get their best result. A long or triple jumper might foul a jump by their foot going too far over the line on the board and they get the red flag, or a pole vaulter knocks the bar off so he gets to go again. It's the nature of sports to make mistakes. Yet a sprinter gets no chances to accidentally foul like jumping the gun and he's kicked out. Seems unfair to me.

Last edited:
Maybe it's not really the same thing, but certain athletes get three chances to get their best result. A long or triple jumper might foul a jump by their foot going too far over the line on the board and they get the red flag, or a pole vaulter knocks the bar off so he gets to go again. It's the nature of sports to make mistakes.Yet a sprinter gets no chances to accidentally foul like jumping the gun and he's kicked out. Seems unfair to me.

But in sports where you're taking the best of several results, your success or failure isn't impacting the other athletes. In running events, every other one of the athletes needs to go back, reset, collect themselves and get ready to go again.

But in sports where you're taking the best of several results, your success or failure isn't impacting the other athletes. In running events, every other one of the athletes needs to go back, reset, collect themselves and get ready to go again.

That's true. But then one could argue, if sprinters only get one chance to get their best result, perhaps that same rule should apply to jumpers and other athletes.

Back
Top Bottom