Path of Exile(diablo clone)

Associate
I was looking at D4 but it seems expensive vs the negative comments so thought I might take a look at POE. Knowing nothing much about either!

Definitely follow a solid build guide, and don't try to learn everything at once, you can't, no-one can. Just play through the campaign and see if you enjoy it.

Soldato
yeah just take it slow, don't worry about perfect builds or doing end game content. Just try to aim to complete the campaign to start with should take quite a few hours first time

Soldato
Definitely follow a solid build guide, and don't try to learn everything at once, you can't, no-one can. Just play through the campaign and see if you enjoy it.
Good, there seems to be a huge amount going on.
yeah just take it slow, don't worry about perfect builds or doing end game content. Just try to aim to complete the campaign to start with should take quite a few hours first time
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go over the weekend, will motivate me to finish putting some new fans into the PC. I don't imagine it's going to stress a 6950XT.

Soldato
ah just 1 tip if it's your first time. Most guides will say to kill all bandits in Act 2 which is usually most optimal; instead help Alira as her buffs are really useful

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I was looking at D4 but it seems expensive vs the negative comments so thought I might take a look at POE. Knowing nothing much about either!

Grim Dawn or Inquisitor 40k if you need a ARPG fix. Grim Dawn is exceptional top 5 game of all time, Inquisitor is also fun, slaying heretics is joyfull. (both can be had cheap as chips)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'll start with the UI and basic stuff and start playing, looking stuff up as I go until I can do the simple stuff well. I used to play MMO's a lot but that genre seemed to die and I don't have as much time these days. Is it just single player?

Been checking out POE2, looks very good and I think your storage transfers over from POE is a bonus.

Last edited:
Associate

POE V D4 in a nutshell.

In 10 minutes it pretty much sums up why POE is on a totally different level to Blizz's game. Is there loads to learn? yes there is, is all the info you'll ever need out there? yes it is.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
7hrs in and starting to get an idea. One think I will say is most of the beginner guides are nothing of the sort. I think they've played so long they don't even realise that they are using jargon and references the new player has no idea about! GGG are definitely missing a trick making it so hard to get started. I will say that's what Blizzard got right with the original WoW. That said I'm quite enjoying it so far, just created a couple of characters to test things out on Standard to see how things work. Click to move still seems weird :cry:

Soldato
think some of the content creators have talked about this before, it's a huge task to make a true beginner guide, and it'll go out of date fairly quickly. The amount of traffic true beginner guides gets is pretty low so it's hard to justify doing them

D3K

D3K

Soldato
7hrs in and starting to get an idea. One think I will say is most of the beginner guides are nothing of the sort. I think they've played so long they don't even realise that they are using jargon and references the new player has no idea about! GGG are definitely missing a trick making it so hard to get started. I will say that's what Blizzard got right with the original WoW. That said I'm quite enjoying it so far, just created a couple of characters to test things out on Standard to see how things work. Click to move still seems weird :cry:
Switch to Trial of the Ancestors league. There's no benefit at all to running on Standard. If anything it's a negative since the trade prices are inflated and there will be less people available to trade. Even if you don't trade then you're missing out on the new league mechanic.

Soldato
think some of the content creators have talked about this before, it's a huge task to make a true beginner guide, and it'll go out of date fairly quickly. The amount of traffic true beginner guides gets is pretty low so it's hard to justify doing them
It's not so much a how to do things it's even a high level explanation that is missing. Just an explanation of what POE is why there are Standard and Leagues, a really simple overview to give it all some context and suggestions on how to get started would be nice. Most people won't spend hours reading around to just play a game. I certainly read a lot of comments from people who took a look got overwhelmed and went elsewhere.
Switch to Trial of the Ancestors league. There's no benefit at all to running on Standard. If anything it's a negative since the trade prices are inflated and there will be less people available to trade. Even if you don't trade then you're missing out on the new league mechanic.
Thanks, I have seen this suggested and as a new player it was a strange concept. Once you realise everything then moves over to Standard eventually it makes more sense. I get the idea that you can use the League to get items more easily that then transfer over to Standard but would be much more expensive to acquire on Standard? I can't see me perpetually grinding away to reset every 3 months but I can see the league being useful to help a character on Standard.

Even the whole idea of not trading was odd, I can see why now as there is the SSF option. Very different from anything I've played before where a mechanic like trading was just a basic part of the fabric of the game.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
@Troezar quick example of price differences - kaoms spirit gloves are 80c on std, 30c on league. a divine orb is 300c vs 200c. Some things you may get cheaper, like a Hyrri's ire which is very expensive on league due to demand, whereas on std the supply is more than demand. Ymmv but generally it is inflated, and also less populated. One big gripe with Poe trade is the lack of responses you get from sellers. This is worse on std.

Soldato
@Troezar quick example of price differences - kaoms spirit gloves are 80c on std, 30c on league. a divine orb is 300c vs 200c. Some things you may get cheaper, like a Hyrri's ire which is very expensive on league due to demand, whereas on std the supply is more than demand. Ymmv but generally it is inflated, and also less populated. One big gripe with Poe trade is the lack of responses you get from sellers. This is worse on std.
Yes it's quite a different way of doing things if you're new to it. I may try following a guide for an RF Juggernaut on League to see how I get on. At least I'll have something to follow and some explanation of the logic behind different choices.

What's this "mapping" I keep hearing people refer to?

Associate
Yes it's quite a different way of doing things if you're new to it. I may try following a guide for an RF Juggernaut on League to see how I get on. At least I'll have something to follow and some explanation of the logic behind different choices.

What's this "mapping" I keep hearing people refer to?

Just check out some YT vids. They will give you a good idea what they're about.

Associate
Anyone got any idea why my loot is disapearing after a couple of seconds?

I've just got a basic semi strict filter one.

I've tried loading up a new one, and that hasn't helped, everything was fine yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom