Pathfinder 2.0 Playtest

Soldato
Now got my hands on the book. I never got around to fully reading the playtest let alone playing it so I can't remember much of it apart from a change to successes and failures.

Soldato
Seriously though, if you could use your mutagens for buffing, healing and offensive purposes, other classes would be less welcome. Every group would just have an alchemist!

Meh :p

I just found the buffs so uninspiring you are pretty much only going to want to play the bomber type of alchemist, which is fun, but seems a little limiting.

Soldato
OP
Having had a few games of PF2, I really do like it. It can be very deadly, but also very rewarding. Having a battle map or grid is vital though - we've not used one yet due to limited available time for prep, but I'll be making more of an effort from now on. No point having such an amazing system if people are guessing what's going on.

Soldato
Haha! The last two weeks have been a proper blast.

The system is really detailed though - it will take a while before we don't have to scroll through the rules 10 times a night!

I've really enjoyed it. My main takeaway though is how uncompromising the system is (in a good way) to group composition.

5e you can roll with what you like and generally win through almost anything. PF2 even low level encounters with a poorly composed group and you get stomped.

Last session, admittedly we rolled like complete horrors, but 3 basic enemies almost wipes us and I had to burn 4 spell slots and 2 battle medicine uses to keep us up and we are still pretty beat up. I like this though, a lot of 5e you can roflstomp most content in this you have to be a lot more tactical.

Soldato
OP
I've really enjoyed it. My main takeaway though is how uncompromising the system is (in a good way) to group composition.

5e you can roll with what you like and generally win through almost anything. PF2 even low level encounters with a poorly composed group and you get stomped.

Last session, admittedly we rolled like complete horrors, but 3 basic enemies almost wipes us and I had to burn 4 spell slots and 2 battle medicine uses to keep us up and we are still pretty beat up. I like this though, a lot of 5e you can roflstomp most content in this you have to be a lot more tactical.
That encounter was intended for 4 characters, so there was some adjustment on the run. I've no doubt an extra PC would have made it much simpler - well, that and some even remotely competent rolling. Combat is certainly something you need to think about a little more. The action economy is brilliant, in my opinion, and while it's not difficult to get your head around, it is much more satisfying than 5e (and that's coming from someone whose been playing 5e since release!).

Associate
I've still not had a chance to play the game yet, just been reading the rules and toying with ideas.
Fingers crossed my local group are going to finally bend to my will and give it a go for a one-shot on the weekend before I head off on holiday.

Soldato
OP
I've still not had a chance to play the game yet, just been reading the rules and toying with ideas.
Fingers crossed my local group are going to finally bend to my will and give it a go for a one-shot on the weekend before I head off on holiday.
It has a lot going for it. It really throws bounded accuracy out of the window which was a bit of a bugbear for me in 5e. I want my heroes to feel like heroes - although the preprinted adventures are a little rough at times, and my party are squealing about repeatedly getting slapped down.

Soldato

Can always attempt to play a one shot with your other group :D

Not sure @No1newts being the expert is a good idea though... :p

Soldato
Can always attempt to play a one shot with your other group :D

Not sure @No1newts being the expert is a good idea though... :p

Haha when I'm not notoriously fast and loose with simple 5e rules I certainly don't think I'm the best to advise on rules of PF2.

Awesome system though and after this campaign I think we should really consider a system switch. Though anything more complicated than "I run forward and stab them" may melt Stu's mind :D:D

Back
Top Bottom