Payraise.. how much do you expect? how much did you get?

Last edited:
based pn a shopping basket of stuff people dont buy right? https://moneyweek.com/economy/inflation/inflation-basket-of-goods

They pick and choose to manipulate the figures....

your shopping budget likely doubled in 2 years

Don't know what you're buying but ours certainly hasn't doubled. Sure it's gone up but generally we still spend anywhere between £50 to £100 a week for the two of us depending how much booze/ random household stuff we buy that particular week. That was the case even 5 years ago, though we don't drink as much :) I'd say our "basic" shop is about £15 more than 2 years ago.

Cutting jobs and giving rises to the rest. Not much use when there is no one left to actually do the work. People are still leaving for 30-40% higher wages in the private sector.

Oh i agree, doing more with less has been the norm for some time now, but for old farts like me, i'll take the rise and top up the pension.

the need to recruit, retain and motivate suitably able and qualified people taking account of the particular circumstances of Service life;

We know that the armed forces face an acute problem in recruiting and retaining sufficient, trained and motivated personnel. Voluntary Outflow is high and during the course of the round reached a level last seen in the 1990s, while recruitment has fallen well short of intake targets. The size of the armed forces reduced by over 7,000 personnel in calendar year 2023.

The factors driving this recommendation are:

• the historically high level of Voluntary Outflow from the armed forces and continuing shortfalls in recruitment;

• evidence that the morale of the armed forces remains fragile, with many personnel feeling that their contribution is taken for granted – no ****.

Interesting:

New entrants to the armed forces are currently paid at a reduced rate for the six months or so they spend in initial training. We have been concerned for some time that this is an obstacle to recruitment, particularly for those with pre-existing financial commitments and broader experience. We now recommend that all new entrants should be paid at the first point of the main pay scale. This means that the initial offer to recruits would increase from £18,687 to £25,200.

Still waiting on my FRI from last year… :D

That rumour has done a good job of stemming the flow. I'll be slightly bitter if it turns out to be a nice wedge.

Since I left last May I got promoted (told when I was out) and missed two hefty pay rises and a likely sizeable pension bump.

Last edited:
That rumour has done a good job of stemming the flow. I'll be slightly bitter if it turns out to be a nice wedge.

Since I left last May I got promoted (told when I was out) and missed two hefty pay rises and a likely sizeable pension bump.

But how much have you earnt since leaving on top of the pension…

Got my bonus as expected this month, just checked my payslip - £13k in tax....
You need to learn about tax avoidance

some people's pay are heavy biassed towards bonuses and commissions.. had a role once where my bouns was over a 1/3 of my yearly salary for some it was 1/2.
But while the salary was increased with yearly reviews the bonus which was a fixed amount per unit was never increased. so in theory any payraises we got was 1/3 less due to the non increasing bonus.
I imagine the people who was first on this pay structure the bonus may have been 2/3 of the yearly salary.

The company needed to replace this pay structure and did it by offering an uplift in salary by 30% and reducing the bonus to a quarterly one with maximum payout of £250 per quarter.

You need to learn about tax avoidance

some people's pay are heavy biassed towards bonuses and commissions.. had a role once where my bouns was over a 1/3 of my yearly salary for some it was 1/2.
But while the salary was increased with yearly reviews the bonus which was a fixed amount per unit was never increased. so in theory any payraises we got was 1/3 less due to the non increasing bonus.
I imagine the people who was first on this pay structure the bonus may have been 2/3 of the yearly salary.

The company needed to replace this pay structure and did it by offering an uplift in salary by 30% and reducing the bonus to a quarterly one with maximum payout of £250 per quarter.

I'm starting to get to the level where that might be prudent certainly.

Back
Top Bottom