Payraise.. how much do you expect? how much did you get?

Soldato
We got 6% last year (NHS) but because of strikes I've probably doubled my salary overall (makes very littlr sense at this point!). Consultants are still squabbling with the Gov regarding last year.

This year expecting very little true payrise as usual, but take home will likely be bolstered by further strike cover.
you never know. could throw us a bone as it's an election year.

Soldato
10% last year

No idea this year, won't know for another month

The most I ever got in a single year was a 20% increase and that was only because I threatened to go to a competitor and so they offered me the 20% increase, maybe I should have asked for 30%

Last edited:
Soldato
I work in tech recruitment so I'm heavily commission based. We don't really get non promotion based pay rises and my next promotion is at tough one to hit target wise so it's going to be 0 for me.

That said I could still earn more or even less than last year depending on the market and how well I do.

Currently I'd be happy to maintain but I think I may earn a little less than last year as the contract tech market is on its knees in the uk

Caporegime
Expecting 3% and a 5% bonus, finding out later this week.

Edit: Oh, and hoping to renegotiate contract to be in the office 1 day a week instead of 2 (which is effectively a 3% net income payrise)

Last edited:
Associate
3% this year, which was across the entire company.

I'm not particularly happy, as I've been here for quite a while, and have always just accepted whatever pay rise they give me. But I was involved in a major project back in 2021-2022 that essentially had just 2 people driving the whole thing (including me), and I basically solo tested every single bit of development that was involved in it, and that project ultimately saves the company between £1-3m anually now. Tried to negotiate a higher pay raise in 2023, but wasn't given a look in.

So I can't be arsed now. Apparently everyone in the company helps save millions all the time. My contribution is seen as the same as all the window lickers here, no matter how much effort I put in, so why even bother? They get the bare minimum from me now. Yes, I know I should leave really.

Soldato
Chicken and egg situ at the moment, they are wanting people to accept a less than inflation pay raise to slow down inflation but it’s inflation that’s causing people to need higher pay raises.

Wage inflation is caused by a shortage of Labour, not by excessive demand.

The fix for this is immigration... from let's say the EU :)

Soldato
Wage inflation is caused by a shortage of Labour, not by excessive demand.

The fix for this is immigration... from let's say the EU :)

I'm skeptical about claims of labour shortage. A few years ago there was meant to be a shortage of engineers/STEM qualified people. I never saw any more jobs around as a result or higher wages being offered on vacancies as a result.

Then a couple of years ago a shortage of HGV drivers. Same deal, where were all the offers of training to try and recruit new people?

Apparently now there is a shortage of air traffic controllers. Where are the retraining opportunities for adults?

Businesses in this country expect people to fall into their laps instead of investing in training and skills.

Last edited:
Soldato
Our salary reviews are in summer but I'm about to take a little pay cut as I'm reducing my hours a little bit and going to 9 day fortnight from April

E: just to add, think it was 12% last time round.

Last edited:
Associate
4.5% last April, this year is an unknown but I’d expect around 4% again despite inflation being much higher for the past year

These increased costs aren’t passed onto customers by the business I work for at present so I can see both sides as to why it’s difficult

Man of Honour
I was expecting to get 4% based on UK inflation but a meeting held recently led me to believe it's more likely to be 3% based on forecast global inflation for the year. Bonus pool seems more hopeful, but I've got ahead of myself in the past on that front.
Last year at a different company I got 5% and was a bit annoyed as that was the absolute minimum they could give me contractually, and was only about half the inflation rate.

Last edited:
Associate
Got 8% last contract renewal from the client. But my agent showed his hand during negotiations so ill be having 3.5% from his piece of the pie at the next contract renewal regardless of what the client offers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom