Pc failure help

Soldato
The Rog looks super but I don't want to burden myself if it's a struggle to get running. I'm presuming when I've bought all the new components it's pretty much just going to be a simple plug everything up. Then go into bios and tell it which ssd to boot from then that's it?

What will take the time I'm guessing is remembering what cable goes where.

So your saying it goes rog. Then MSI carbon then tomahawk? Or the 2nd two might be the same actually
The ASUS won't be a struggle to get running - it's only their Customer Service that's a PITA.

But, yes, Strix B450 E, then MSI Carbon and then Tomahawk. And at £116 that Asus is great value.

The Rog seems to have a HDMI display port and a single dp.
You won't be needing this motherboard feature as the Zen CPUs your looking at don't have integrated graphics - only the 2200G/2400G has this feature.

The fans are positioned so the ones at the front of th pc suck in. The ones on the base of the pc suck in if I remember correctly. Back of the pc fans suck out. Fans inside the pc suck inwards further and then upwards. Fans on top of the pc push upwards. The filters on the fans on the top of the pc are taped on their outer sides. Lots of cleaning of fans this weekend lol
How many did you have attached to motherboard headers - were you using splitters at all?

On your next build, if you're reducing mechanical drives etc.. - you may want to reduce the number of your fans for your sanity (that humming would drive me nuts).

Associate
OP
I'm not good with the lingo lol. PITA? also spilitters and mobo headers. But I think I know the second and third. I think I have like 4 fans directly plugged into the mobo. But the main body of those same type connections seems to all be plugged into like a central plug in area of the other side of the case. There is velcrow. I've took a picture. Some sort of large power cable seems to connect to it and go to the PSU I think.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jo8q9d3u/

What I mean about the display ports is. Ive checked a few images and as of yet can't get close to the ports of the Rog. To see if there is a white DVI cable port for my secondary screen. My first monitor is HD but the second I own is DVI cable not hd. I ll try get a better view on ports.

It really seems great value. Are we allowed to post market links? If not can I one way or another get you to give the market site/product an overlook before I plan to commit to it?

Do you not like the humming? I honestly don't mind it, Im kinda one of those that wants a sound. You know like with a big car engine? Maybe that's the reason : p, although I could be wrong. I don't drive or anything haha. I just like hearing it whirl up.

Things are looking good so far. I think I'm happy with the parts now. Do you know anything about pc cases? Are they like universal and have holes to accept most modern mobos? I'm not too sure how strict all these parts are which can be used with which.

K2 people havnt emailed back yet. Im unsure if I even want the k2 anymore lol. Bit annoyed that it can't even be used again. Is that because I'm moving from intel to the other? Oh I forgot. The k2 uses two big fans that I forgot to mention as part of the fan count haha

Here are some close ups of what I'm looking at now. Going to start taking more out now. Slowly getting more excited. As soon as I've checked all comparability issues, I could probably order this weekend tbh. Might order it too arrive at work. Not sure yet

https://postimg.cc/gallery/dflkaaai/

What's your pc like?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not good with the lingo lol. PITA?
PITA = Pain In The As..(Bottom)

also spilitters and mobo headers. But I think I know the second and third. I think I have like 4 fans directly plugged into the mobo. But the main body of those same type connections seems to all be plugged into like a central plug in area of the other side of the case. There is velcrow. I've took a picture. Some sort of large power cable seems to connect to it and go to the PSU I think.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jo8q9d3u/
So, you only had 1 fan plugged into each motherboard header, respectively (i.e. 1 fan powered by each motherboard fan connection)? So, no splitter (adaptor) that allowed more than 1 fan to run off one header?

The reason i ask is that you mentioned 14 fans - so was concerned you may have pushed your luck with splitters. From your pics you've run them through a couple of fan hubs connected to a molex - so they may be running full tilt if no controller(?).

What I mean about the display ports is. Ive checked a few images and as of yet can't get close to the ports of the Rog. To see if there is a white DVI cable port for my secondary screen. My first monitor is HD but the second I own is DVI cable not hd. I ll try get a better view on ports.
By HD - you mean HDMI connection (you may have DP - display port -depending on age).

You won't be using the display ports of the motherboard - your CPU nor the motherboard support onboard graphics. You will be solely dependent on the ports coming from your discrete graphics card (GPU). And that will be your GTX 670 - unless you change it - so no change in leads etc for display. And if you updated your GPU we can work round this with adaptors if required.

It really seems great value. Are we allowed to post market links? If not can I one way or another get you to give the market site/product an overlook before I plan to commit to it?
No, but it's fine to mention that you can get it cheaper elsewhere - but no names, especially links. I saw your price and Googled - i know of the site it's Czech - make of that what you will. Look at Trust pilot and decide how difficult it would be to deal with returns - as much as i can comment. If goods arrive as specced and in good order a bargain - if not then, hovno! (you'll need a translator)

Do you not like the humming? I honestly don't mind it, Im kinda one of those that wants a sound. You know like with a big car engine? Maybe that's the reason : p, although I could be wrong. I don't drive or anything haha. I just like hearing it whirl up.
A white noise addict - no harm in that - each to their own.

But, no, I like relative silence - but this is expensive, so don't force change (then again 14 fans aren't cheap.)

Things are looking good so far. I think I'm happy with the parts now. Do you know anything about pc cases? Are they like universal and have holes to accept most modern mobos? I'm not too sure how strict all these parts are which can be used with which.
Yes, your case should be fine, if you want to keep it. It's the stand off positioning that's important - the brass upright screws in the case that accept the screws that secure the motherboard. Be sure they line up to motherboard holes and remove the rest.

Is that because I'm moving from intel to the other?
Yes, AM4 won't accommodate an INTEL bracket.

The k2 uses two big fans that I forgot to mention as part of the fan count haha
Yep, both connected to motherboard?

Did you run a fan curve from the BIOS?

What's your pc like?
I have a few (One Ryzen and rest INTELs) as work from home when i can - but one will be upgraded to Zen 2, if i'm in the country in mid July - hoping i'm not needed.

The TIM had dried out - needed reapplying.

Also, if reusing that heatsink you may need to invest in some compressed air.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In all honesty I can't remember lol, I do remember some sort of fan speed control I did when I built it back in 2013, but tbh I think they have all just been running at max normal fan speed from the start, it's kinda what I wanted them for tbh. Another way of saying it would be , I don't ever recall the fans ever regulating their speeds. But the bios died and stopped letting me on like 2014 , so all fan and bios messing around stuff I stopped bothering with. I think I used all fan slots that the mobo offered that were free. And then the hub at the back powered by the molex to the PSU I used about 3/4s of that. I didn't from the looks of it use any splitters on any of the mobo fan slots.

Would it be a good idea for me to look into fan regulation with the next build? I will if it's not too much trouble. I saw on the Rog that it has mini board fans! I think.

The Rog should come with the stand off screws and all that. So I guess as long as it's securely on, should be fine. There seems to be like spacers or something with my current mobo with its screws, maybe plastic. I can't tell. I ll check it out more when that part comes out

Sorry about the visual port questions, I forgot the last like 15 years and thought my monitor cables all plug In to ports offered by the mobo lol! It's been a long day

I ll have to check out these brass upright screws this weekend. Should be fine, I mean it's not a mega old case tbh

I'm not sure if the two k2 fans were connected to the mobo or the hub tbh. Or might have even been a mixture , I've forgot lol. I don't think I ran a fan curve

Man it's expensive. Probably looking at like 400£ before selling stuff lol. Sliver thermal paste and compressed air. I didn't know you had to reapply the paste. I'm going to focus on just ram CPU and board for now I think, and the extra tiny bits.

I'm working 6-10am tomorrow and then walk into town then i have the rest of the day from lunch to do a mega clean and sort out :D .

Tbh I ran the pc hard over its life I'm surprised the PSU is doing fine. My old pc through my teens , it's PSU died before anything else

Associate
OP
Is this the same board ? ASUS 90MB1070-M0EAY0 ROG STRIX B450-E GAMING AM4

Don't know if I ll risk it with Czech people. That title above came from Amazon at 159£. But I would hate to deal with a faulty board one way or another.

K2 people havnt emailed back, really don't know if I ll keep it. This seems highly rated. And I presume would do the job? Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown). Plus I'd get to keep the two k2 fans lol

It looks like it ll cost in total like 500 then -150 if I sell the stuff. I have the 500 now. But I mentally just can't deal with spending it that way and taking the hit now. I have a credit card with 21 months zero percent. So probably thinking of putting it to that and doing 100£ off it every month. The cc is only for driving lessons at the moment and emergancy stuff really. I spent hours last night procrastinating over how the hell to deal with this whole issue lol.

I've been working my balls off for the last two years with the soul aim of trying to personally save up 10,000£ and break that own goal of mine. I'm at 8k. Technically at 9k.... But at 8k I then had to pre assign the next freaking 3 months to a new bathroom and then integrate driving and now the pc.......... the CC is at like -100 at the moment. I'm on a driving waiting list ATM. So I can't see it being much of a danger putting the upgrade on the CC surely. I just don't want to pay out for it now and be delayes another month on my goal lol

Last edited:
Soldato
From your posts cost seems to be a concern - and with money being a factor i would get the MSI B450 Carbon - slightly lesser VRMs but still highly recommended and a bargain at ~£100 - i'm sure you'll Google. And more than suitable for your needs and is a great compromise - marginally better than the Tomahawk and a marginally less than the ASUS - it's a happy medium and a great board for the money if considering Zen 2 sometime in the future...

This will bring your budget well within acceptable limits and ease some of your concerns re upgrade costs/zen 2 path.

Two examples (you can work out alternate price offerings) - i would consider the 2600X if you think you're unlikely to upgrade anytime soon:

2600 - comes with 2 free games (codes will sell for ~£25 each) and supplied with a decent stock cooler which will suffice if not clocking:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £341.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

2600X (better boost/speed) - also comes with 2 free games (codes will sell for ~£25 each) and supplied with a decent stock cooler which will suffice if not clocking:

Total: £401.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

The Rog should come with the stand off screws and all that. So I guess as long as it's securely on, should be fine. There seems to be like spacers or something with my current mobo with its screws, maybe plastic. I can't tell. I ll check it out more when that part comes out
You'll only get cables/IO shield with the motherboard - standoffs/screws come with the case, just recycle what you have. The nylon washers (spacers) aren't needed but if you have them use them for peace of mind.

Would it be a good idea for me to look into fan regulation with the next build? I will if it's not too much trouble. I saw on the Rog that it has mini board fans! I think.
Yes, simple to do - you could even consider a new case in the future as you'll probably have less drives (how many?) and the you could drop to 2 x 120mm intake fans and 1 x 120mm outtake. All on a curve and will be silent/quiet when idle/low load. Then retire your other 14 fans - which are smaller and noisy.

example budget option to give an idea:

EDIT:

K2 people havnt emailed back, really don't know if I ll keep it. This seems highly rated. And I presume would do the job? Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown). Plus I'd get to keep the two k2 fans lol

You don't need a Noctua with your fan setup/lack of clocking - it would be wasted. You could save the difference or look at a new better airflow designed case - less fans etc...

As mentioned the supplied stock cooler would suffice, with your current fan setup - but here's an example of a quality, value, quiet and effective cooler - more than suffice if not clocking (there's one for £20 too - which will be quieter than stock).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow how can I thank you? Very helpful.

Tbh I cant ever see myself overclocking. It's hard to tell what pieces are value for money.so I'm glad you advised some. I'm happy to go for the 29.99 cooler of you think it ll be okay. I have one tb harddrive and two ssds , the hd is partitioned and I use one th ssds for the OS.

I ll order this weekend and get them to deliver it to my work location hopefully.

I'm happy to go for all that was mentioned . The case, the cooler, board. Ram. 2600x .

I definitely will set up a curve with the new build

The case looks pretty nice tbh

I got carried away, maybe not new case yet lol. Ahhh decisions

I don't want to give up my old case but at the same time I do, it's 6 years old. I'm spending so much on a new system I might as well get the case when I order tbh. Last time I remember overclockers being pretty good and delivering it all at once as well.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't think I will upgrade to zen2 anytime soon tbh. Unless I ll see a massive difference. But I doubt I will. Not till the cc is paid off I guess.

I may go with the stock cooler , as I can't see myself ever overclocking as I simply would have no need too. How much can you trust a stock cooler though? Some people think general supplied things are shoddy but I don't want to get caught up in elitist wastings. I'm easily caught up sometimes lol.

I've made the basket now. Maybe minus the cooler. Oh I ll also add compressed air to clean some of the other parts like gpu, and paste. I ll check if it comes with paste too.

It's due an update anyway tbh . I ll order tomorrow, I ll ring them first to check they can deliver to work

I'll try the supplied AMD Wraith Spire CPU cooler, it's got RGB too. I'm sure it ll be fine. I don't play the most mega new games. I don't like the next gen FPS type games. I prefer the strategy ones or moba or StarCraft, so long as the system runs those types and the supplied cooler does fine cooling that usage then I'd be happy :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're not swapping the case for now - stick with the stock cooler. The Wraith Spire is a step up from the usual 'old' stock coolers and does a decent job at stock clocks. Plus, your case fans will negate any benefits of a third party quiet 120mm cooler.

I would upgrade the cooler when you upgrade your case - as you will be pulling everything out again anyway.

Get at least 2/3 cans of compressed air - you'll get through it pretty quickly if cleaning all your other components and case. And paste comes pre-applied with the cooler - but it's always handy to have spare.

Associate
OP
I was very tempted by the case, but can't justify it just yet.

The CPU is better than my old one so I think all I'm gonna see is improvement from changing it, if I ever bother playing games on it. Normally it's research and YouTube that I do now tbh.

The msi board is out of stock atm. I may hunt around instead

Soldato
Normally it's research and YouTube that I do now tbh.
If this is its primary use and you don't plan on gaming; the vanilla 2600 would be a better value 'stop-gap' until you get a Zen 2.

That said - if the above is all you do, and intend to do, then the vanilla 2600 would be more than adequate until you are next forced to upgrade.

EDIT:

To the point that you could drop to the Tomahawk (will still accept Zen 2), the 2600 and previous on sale memory.

Again, remember you can sell the 2 game codes for ~£50 - so total upgrade, allowing for game/offset would be ~£271

Total: £321.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you. That is a great idea but I can't risk it. As I do like to game once in a while.

OC don't sell the msi currently. And there is another site that doesn't sell the ram you said.

So I'd have to get the ram from OC.

Check this out - cat. Plus OC 70£ ram makes like 350 at max, minus 150£ if successful at selling previous items. No game code deal though.

I could get both those components delivered tomorrow

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm sorry. It's tough trying to talk about products but unable to share anything lol

I'm going to order the ram from OC now , and this one is compatible with the msi b450 gaming as per the image you saw?

TEAM GROUP VULCAN T-FORCE 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - GREY (TLGD416G30

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for that.

I'm trying to give the internal air flow some serious thought. So do you think the plastic meshes should be on the opposite sides? For the fans in the image below and all others I guess. On the intake side of the fan I presume you could call it? I'm trying to work out what that would mean. Because it would mean the intake draw speed would be less, but the turbulence interall would be more? Since the output flow isn't dampened by the wire mesh filter?

https://postimg.cc/TKMxgPVD

Also before I order this ram , are there any good/interesting accessories that you think may be of interest to this rig? Lights/cable management or fan splitters?

I've been researching the board. It seems to have a CPU fan input. Sys fan x4 and a pump input. Can the pump input be used as a fan input? I mean are the slots the same? In thinking maybe not lol. Most of these fans seem to have like optional ends, like mobo sys slot ends or some sort of PSU ends.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking back to your pics and above your filter orientation is fine.

I would however consider losing a few fans and perhaps a drive bay, if not needed, as this will increase airflow.

Have you got a side on image of open case?

Associate
OP
It's okay I can make images mega fast.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1uw04okre/

It's hard getting the full pc into camera shot lol

That's a good idea getting rid of some bays! Oh I just found another 1tb hd in one of the other bays, not sure I can get rid of one now. Maybe if I put both 1tbs in one bay slot, as each fits 2 I think.

Just took out the mobo now, is it still sellable you do think?

***Alos are there any rules when it comes to installation using a magnetic screw driver? And also, do I need to like ground the pc or something?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom