Pc failure help

Soldato
Associate
OP
I think I got two satas and that gold four pin. I don't know but I think the only thing left to question is that golden four pin. Other than that I have it all connected , or confident enough anyway. Just waiting for ram now

Soldato
I think I got two satas and that gold four pin. I don't know but I think the only thing left to question is that golden four pin. Other than that I have it all connected , or confident enough anyway. Just waiting for ram now
That's the RGB cable - ignore it.

Associate
OP
Yeah I have lots of satas, mostly red and blue. Mostly for the HDDS and SSDs. Nearly there now :)

Hopefully it turns on!

I think I read in the manual there's like a bios setup guide I have to go through. I can't remember which ssd has the os on , but it shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

I'm looking forward to actually having a working bios for once

Associate
OP
Sorry for the confusion. So I ll just disconnect both hhds and 1 SSD and then wait and see if the other ssd is the one with the OS on? I can then just tell the bios to boot from that drive right?

Also I don't know if you know. But within the bunch of tower case front panel wires there is one that I'm not sure of it looks like a sata cable. I havnt followed it but I know it was hooked up previously. It doesn't seem to want to slot into a sata power end. I ll try again with it tomorrow or follow it

Soldato
Sorry for the confusion. So I ll just disconnect both hhds and 1 SSD and then wait and see if the other ssd is the one with the OS on? I can then just tell the bios to boot from that drive right?
Locate the one with OS - if it's Windows 10 it technically will sort itself out - but i recommend doing a fresh install (get chipset/lan/audio etc drivers direct from motherboard site and GPU form Nvidia/AMD depending on card)

Also I don't know if you know. But within the bunch of tower case front panel wires there is one that I'm not sure of it looks like a sata cable. I havnt followed it but I know it was hooked up previously. It doesn't seem to want to slot into a sata power end. I ll try again with it tomorrow or follow it
Case front panel USB? Connects to motherboard and enables USB ports at the top/side of your case.

Associate
OP
You could be right about that cable. I ll check tonight.

I run w7 :D I have data I need to recover off the OS , is it much trouble to replace the parts I have then run the old OS? I know you said you should probably do a full new install, is it really bad if I don't? I presume the OS still has the card drivers, I just hope it's okay having other boards drivers on there. Not that experienced in all the conpatabilities , I'm excited to get my pc back!

Soldato
I run w7 :D I have data I need to recover off the OS , is it much trouble to replace the parts I have then run the old OS? I know you said you should probably do a full new install, is it really bad if I don't? I presume the OS still has the card drivers, I just hope it's okay having other boards drivers on there. Not that experienced in all the conpatabilities , I'm excited to get my pc back!
Ryzen isn't officially supported by Windows 7 - you certainly won't be able to just plug in your old install - it will have a conniption fit when it smells a completely different architecture.

I'm afraid you will be forced to do a fresh install of 7 - you will need to use USB 2 ports (avoid 3 altogether) and you will need to disable updates on install as you will need to patch it first (you will need to Google this). The process could prove a complete PITA...

I strongly advise that you buy Windows 10 - you can buy cheap keys for ~£10 if you Google - be selective look at reviews - not all keys are equal (as much as i can say as OcUK sells Windows software). This will make the process painless - and from your previous posts you may struggle with 7 on a Ryzen platform where as Windows 10 will adapt itself seamlessly and remove any frustration with your new build/install - well worth the £10.

Associate
Assuming your original HDD/SSD is not encrypted, you can backup its contents onto a separate drive by using an ubuntu live disk. After backing up, then you can do a fresh reinstall.

Associate
OP
Okay so I have 2 HHDs and 2 SSDs one SSD with an OS on. All with data on that I need.

So basically I need another SSD that's empty. Then I need to put OS on it somehow. Maybe hook up the optical drive it it still works I guess.

Then with W10.. will I be able to go into each of my previous drives and recover the data?

There was no way around this really I guess. But a ball ache as I expected to enjoy the pc tonight. Bit annoyed that w7 can't just work with ryzen tbh but hey ho

Edit. I can't get my head around how I am going to be able to recover the data that was on my desktop on the os drive. I'm worried. Will it be doable?

Also. What about getting like 128gig of M2 drive and putting os on that? That sounds cool

I've also never paid for an os in my life. But I guess I could for 10£

Last edited:
Soldato
So basically I need another SSD that's empty. Then I need to put OS on it somehow. Maybe hook up the optical drive it it still works I guess.

Then with W10.. will I be able to go into each of my previous drives and recover the data?
No you could you use a bootable USB OS - as mentioned above.

All you need is 8Gb USB pen drive and make a bootable Ubuntu USB stick (Ubuntu Live) - it will load the OS (Ubuntu - Linux based OS) via the USB as it boots and will be able to access all drives attached once loaded.

So, once created, boot from the USB stick (first bootable device in BIOS) - have all your drives attached when you boot it up - and you will be able to identify each drive and copy files over for saving using the Ubuntu interface (OS).

That said - you may find it confusing; the making of the OS and then the use of Ubuntu itself, as you're unfamiliar with the processes involved. It would be a lot to talk you through via a forum - so you will need to do research on your part.

Suggest you look at this - Clicky - walks you through the process of creating Ubuntu Live using Rufus, a tool for creating a bootable USB devices.

Then watch beginner tutorials on YouTube to get an idea of how to access drives and transfer files.

Also. What about getting like 128gig of M2 drive and putting os on that? That sounds cool
No, waste of money - and no real life gains for your usage. You would be better off getting a larger SSD for the money.

Associate
OP
I'm gonna have to do something.... It ll most likely be what you mentioned though. That would be one of the easiest and cheapest I guess in being able to access my hard drives and SSDs.

Sorry for my confusion. But what about the other SSD which houses my OS and it's desktop where I hours the most important information at the moment. Can I access that data the same as the other hard drives?

Soldato
Sorry for my confusion. But what about the other SSD which houses my OS and it's desktop where I hours the most important information at the moment. Can I access that data the same as the other hard drives?
Yes, Ubuntu will see the drive and you will be able to copy the files that you need saved over to the other drives. You will not have booted from Windows 7 (impossible anyway) - so Ubuntu will see it as a drive with an OS and files installed, that is all.

Boot order/priority is key when booting Ubuntu - first drive USB.

Associate
OP
Thank you. Okay I'm home now.

The rams arrived.

So Ubuntu could be the way. It's good how it will see the drive with the os on.

My wife has a laptop. Would another viable option be to purchase another SSD and then put win10 OS on that new SSD? And just connect that up? I don't know if then id be able to navigate through the drive with the OS on and find all my files and folders that I stored on the desktop though.

I'd find good use for another SSD. I'm pretty sure they are cheaper than last time I tried to purchase some. I ll check now

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom