PC Games with excellent stories

Associate
I have recently become a big fan of games with really gripping stories and would like to ask for any recommendations of good story games. Specificly i thought Yakuza 3, GTA games, Metro, were really good in this department.

Cheers

Soldato
Of the modern titles Mass Effect 1 + 2 and Dragon Age are pretty spiffing.

If you're willing to go classic there's a whole heap:

Grim Fandango
The Longest Journey
Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Beyond Good and Evil
Broken Sword 1 + 2
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
Warcraft 3 (yes a RTS with an awesome storyline!)
Starcraft 1 (another RTS, sadly 2 had a pretty naff storyline imo)
Metal Gear Solid (i think this had a PC release? If not, emulators ahoy!)
Fallout 1 + 2 (3 is too open world and as a result i feel the central storyline suffers)

As just a taster, those will last you months. I'll brainstorm for some more. I still maintain that Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 10 have the finest storylines in gaming, mainly due to excellent character development (the end of 8 and 10 were a little flakey but i'll let them off due to the characters). Sadly 10 was never released on the PC, just the PS2.

Last edited:
Soldato
oblivion obviously!! :D fallout 3 is a bit..boring, Othergames with good story are the C&C tiberium wars and redalert!

I'd rate all of those, aside from maybe red alert, as having horrific storylines. Great games (aside from tiberium) but due to the open nature of the former and the general terrible acting in the latter the storylines aren't anything decent.

Associate
Company of Heroes & Opposing Forces - When you complete the campaigns, the characters told are based on true stories.

Act of War - This felt like a Tom Clancy novel and the story seemed more believable than other rts of similar genre (CnC?).

Unreal Tournament - Just the intro sets the scene brilliantly of the game - flyby thru a dystopian city with a female narrator explaining the collapse of society and the rise of blood sports sponsored by the Liandra corporation that are watched by millions around the galaxy. Simple, but again believable.

Back
Top Bottom