PC Games with excellent stories

Caporegime
People always recommend Vampire: Bloodlines tho I've never played it personally.

Since no one else will mention it, I'd like to recommend a tiny little game called Escape Velocity Nova ;)

The usual recommendations are of course:
Deus Ex
System Shock
Metal Gear Solid
FF7 & FF8

And there are a whole bunch of great PS1/PS2 games with wonderful stories available via emulation.

In contrast, the PC games market (especially recently) doesn't really put as much emphasis on story telling.

Soldato
WHAT!?:confused::confused:

Are you on crack?

There are more good story games on the pc than all the consoles combined.

In total yes, PC whoops console for great story lines. However in the past year or two i'd say titles such as the Uncharted series, Valkyria Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, inFamous and the Yakuza series have taken the helm of solid storytelling. I'm not saying PC gaming isn't still great, it is, it just seems to be focusing more on open world, multiplayer, mmo, RTS and other genres that are difficult to create a solid, flowing storyline for.

Take your previously mentioned Fallout 2 for example, what an epic game with a solid, developing and frankly sublime story and characters. Then compare it to Fallout 3, an open world game where the majority of content comes from side quests and optional missions that fall outside of the primary storyline. As a result the storyline faulters in comparison to its predecessors (imo). The same could be said for the more recent starcraft 2, i'd rate starcraft as the joint best story in a RTS ever, alongside Warcraft 3 and among the best storylines in gaming, its new younger brother however lets you choose in which order you'd like to do the missions, again spoiling the flow and growth of the storyline. It also boasts a far greater investment into online matches, another feature that takes development time away from writing a deep story and creating missions to bring it to life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are more good story games on the pc than all the consoles combined.

Well, there are a lot of shooters on the PC, and a lot of strategy games, and they don't really qualify as "story" games, unless you'd call Starcraft a good story game. Or Half Life. Personally, I wouldn't call them story games.

For me a story game has to have a lot of stuff to read (or listen to). Half Life may have a story, but all the dialogue in that game could probably fit on a single page.

Consoles since the PS1 have as many RPGs as the PC has, if not more. Story RPGs, not Diablo :p

I don't think I'm going to count all the text-only games the PC has had since the 1980s, that would be anal ;)

So what else is there?

Soldato
Don't know as I agree with that either.

Out of curiosity, are you of the old school PC ilk where developers such as lucasarts blessed us with gems such as Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, and when Black Isle blew our minds with Baldur's Gate not to mention Interplay and Fallout 1+2? As i say, PC gaming does seem to be steering away from storyline driven gaming, but back in the day was where it was best for me.

Caporegime
Well, there are a lot of shooters on the PC, and a lot of strategy games, and they don't really qualify as "story" games, unless you'd call Starcraft a good story game. Or Half Life. Personally, I wouldn't call them story games.

For me a story game has to have a lot of stuff to read (or listen to). Half Life may have a story, but all the dialogue in that game could probably fit on a single page.

Consoles since the PS1 have as many RPGs as the PC has, if not more. Story RPGs, not Diablo :p

I don't think I'm going to count all the text-only games the PC has had since the 1980s, that would be anal ;)

So what else is there?

What about the thousands of point and click games?

All the old pen and paper ports.

just because they aren't big name doesn't mean they're not there.

Associate
Out of curiosity, are you of the old school PC ilk where developers such as lucasarts blessed us with gems such as Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, and when Black Isle blew our minds with Baldur's Gate not to mention Interplay and Fallout 1+2? As i say, PC gaming does seem to be steering away from storyline driven gaming, but back in the day was where it was best for me.

I blame it on Bioware's obsession with high production values, more "cinematic" games and full voice-overs for everything, presumably to attract illiterate consoleboys who can't read subtitles. They pretty much said outright that they'll never make another game like BG2 because the cost to record VO would be prohibitive.

Soldato
I can't believe nobody mentioned Planescape: Torment!

Finest piece of writing ever to get shoehorned into a D&D setting! :p

Still haven't played it D:

I blame it on Bioware's obsession with high production values, more "cinematic" games and full voice-overs for everything, presumably to attract illiterate consoleboys who can't read subtitles. They pretty much said outright that they'll never make another game like BG2 because the cost to record VO would be prohibitive.

Yet the 'consoleboys' seem to be getting the best storylines recently. It's not always the consoles fault, no matter how many times some people in this subforum seem to claim it is.

Back
Top Bottom