PC Games with excellent stories

Caporegime
Out of curiosity, are you of the old school PC ilk where developers such as lucasarts blessed us with gems such as Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, and when Black Isle blew our minds with Baldur's Gate not to mention Interplay and Fallout 1+2? As i say, PC gaming does seem to be steering away from storyline driven gaming, but back in the day was where it was best for me.

Yes, but at the same time you have all the Metal Gears, Final Fantasys, Front Missions, and the like on consoles.

I never enjoyed the LucasArts point and click games because as a kid they used to infuriate me. I'd always get stuck on some obscure puzzle (use the fork on the loud speaker then use the voodoo doll on the parrot, etc).

Caporegime
What about the thousands of point and click games?

All the old pen and paper ports.

just because they aren't big name doesn't mean they're not there.

How far are you going back? 1990s, 1980s? "The PC" has been around for far longer than any console generation, biasing comparisons like this in its favour, but I don't think anyone is really interested in playing Day of the Tentacle in 2010.

Associate
i think voice overs are good personally. as long as they have the money and the talent to do it well. however i still read the subtitles most of the time because its much much quicker

Caporegime
Yet the 'consoleboys' seem to be getting the best storylines recently. It's not always the consoles fault, no matter how many times some people in this subforum seem to claim it is.

pft the consoles have ruined Dragon age 2 :(

because they don't have the grunt to keep up they're ripping out the over head pseudo iso view and mod tools :(

Caporegime

because they don't have the grunt to keep up they're ripping out the over head pseudo iso view and mod tools :(

Dragon Age was nothing special. It was a (massively) dumbed down Baldur's Gate for today's ADD generation.

Caporegime
Then you aren't after story are you you're after fancy gfx and effects.

That's like asking who would want to read lord of the rings in 2010...

No, just there are better games than DoTT. I revisited Monkey Island last year and I thought it sucked horribly. Utter crap by today's standards.

Soldato

I do agree it's been ruined, but surely if the profits from the PC release were any good they would have bothered to keep those tools for the PC, so is it really 'the consoles fault'? But this point is drawing tentatively close to discussing piracy on the PC which we are all bored of so i'll leave it at that.

Associate
Near enough everything Black Isle Studios churned out:

Fallout 1 + 2
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
Planescape Torment

Top of that I'd recommend The Witcher, both Mass Effects, Bioshock, Deus Ex.

Dragon Age, while enjoyable didn't really have a gripping story, neither did Morrowind / Oblivion.

Caporegime
then you are foolish because ive just replayed MI1 and MI2 and found them to be amazing still

DOTT is an excellent game, "todays standards" think crap like mw2 is amazing

You're right, I should have said "not as good as more recent games". I have to agree with you that modern games have a very different set of core values.

But some my all-time favourite games are from the PS1/PS2. So more recent than DoTT and its ilk, but not current gen either.

Caporegime
I do agree it's been ruined, but surely if the profits from the PC release were any good they would have bothered to keep those tools for the PC, so is it really 'the consoles fault'? But this point is drawing tentatively close to discussing piracy on the PC which we are all bored of so i'll leave it at that.

They ditched the view because the console couldn't support it and they ditched the mod tools because they where "too complicated for users" apparently.

But this point is drawing tentatively close to discussing piracy on the PC which we are all bored of so i'll leave it at that.

Why does poor sales = piracy?

Soldato
They ditched the view because the console couldn't support it and they ditched the mod tools because they where "too complicated for users" apparently.

The same applied to Dragon Age 1 though, the consoles didn't have the top-down view but the PC version had it. Dunno about the mod tools, just PC developers getting lazy i guess.

Why does poor sales = piracy?

It doesn't but it's difficult to discuss poor sales roun' these parts without it being brought up at some point. Especially with a game that's been as popular as DA:O

Associate
I can't believe several people mentioned Dreamfall but no one has suggest The Longest Journey. Great story and some of the best voice acting to ever grace a game.

+1 Planescape Torment

And Kudos to the person who mentioned Escape Velocity: Nova. Great game, though don't remember the storyline(s) being that amazing.

Associate
I hated the story in the Assassin's Creed games. It hated it so much that it overshadowed the repetitive and lacklustre gameplay. I wanted to play a game about medieval Muslim assassins... Not some ****ing Sci-Fi ********!

Back
Top Bottom