PC Gaming Dead?

Soldato
Emlyn_Dewar said:

Hey,

Sorry I dont quite agree with that. Sure, without a doubt it looks best on a HDTV, but when you buy a new GPU, it will last 6 months being the best, and then slowly games struggle to run at the highest settings. If you buy a HDTV then it will do for everything. 360, PS3, HDTV, High Def DVD and so on.

That is not to say PC gaming is dead, not at all. I just think if you are buying a new TV it is just for the 360, sure it is in the short term. But as long as you get with a HDMI connection, you will be good to go for at least a few years ;)

Permabanned
I hope PC's will still be a figuring factor for software developers for quite some time to come, but it is with a tinge of sadness that we see consoles growing in popularity and more and more games being developed for them first and PC second.

One area the PC still dominates in is hard core simulation, as far as we know the forthcoming Microsoft FS10 (FSX) will still be PC only, and we all know how Microsoft want the console market to grow. Only a PC can have such wonderful controllers as a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS system costing £250 ( not to mention the hundreds of quid you can spend customising it), Flight Yokes from £125 to £500 +, rudder pedals from £60 to £250 and more, not to mention the radio stack add-ons and even cockpit panels with working gauges (£1000's) throw into the mix what only a PC can do, multi monitor even multi PC's using several monitors just for the one Flight Simulator, then I for one say long live the PC :p

Also PC owners can pretend to be Computer Wizards, it's a lot of fun speccing and building your own PC, even modding it for an individual look, where is the fun in buying an X-Box and switching it on ... LOL, just semi serious here :)

Maybe one day I'll get a console, but in honesty, 90% of the games for that genre are not what I'll play. So long as I can buy Flight Simulation for the PC, as well as quality games like Civ4, RTW and others like them, I see no need for anything but a PC or 2 in this household. I do find it disappointing that many games these days are dumbed down for a Console and PC release, whereas before, dedicated PC games always seemed much more complex.

All IMHO of course.

Associate
I prefer PC games to Console games these days but a few years back I did prefer consoles. Its swings and roundabouts and I don't ever see PC gaming dying out to be honest.

P-E

P-E

Associate
I am no big gamer and not played any for several months but I do like the odd Driving/racing sims with good graphics so when Xbox 360 came out it aroused my interest.......

As I was unable to purchase an Xbox 360 due to short supply I bought Forza and Moto GP 2 for the normal Xbox.........although great games I just didn't like the graphics on my TV.........

So I decided to load GTR/TOCA DRIVER 2/SBK2001 back onto my PC and all I can say is wow graphically wise they are stunning.

The only annoyance is I just have to tweak my system slightly for each game but it's worth it.

So PC gaming dead?..........not for me at the moment. ;)

P.S.....I just sold my PS2 & I think the Xbox could follow shortly.

Soldato
Only games i can play on a console are racing games & beat em ups. Consoles will never be able to take the mmorpg/fps scene away from PC, Its just much easier with a mouse & keyboard hehe.

Permabanned
Sure PCs are inherently better than consoles at some genres, like FPS games. But for others they're ideal - like the aforementioned driving and fighting games. Arcade flight sim games like Ace Combat are great on a console too.

People who like driving games and have never owned a console are missing out big time. There is nothing on the PC to touch games like the Gran Turismo, PGR or Burnout series of games for example. Also other games like the Colin McRae series and Toca Race Driver run flawlessly smooth with no stuttering on consoles, which cannot be said of the PC versions due to poor coding - regardless of your PC specs.

P-E

P-E

Associate
dirtydog said:
Toca Race Driver run flawlessly smooth with no stuttering on consoles, which cannot be said of the PC versions due to poor coding - regardless of your PC specs.

Sorry I have to disagree with you there.........

I have had Toca Race Driver for PS2 XBOX and my PC.

PC is a lot more enjoyable to play on for me........everything on max it looks awesome.........only prob I had were missing textures once with a bad version of ATI Catalyst drivers.

As for stuttering not suffered with too much of that...........slowdown on my console has been noticeable at times.

Permabanned
P-E said:
As for stuttering not suffered with too much of that...........slowdown on my console has been noticeable at times.

Codemasters are known for releasing games on the PC which stutter, and involve silly workarounds turning down hardware sound acceleration and the like. On the Xbox (I can't speak for the PS2) they run flawlessly.

Some games do run better on the PC, like the Need For Speed series which are locked to 30fps on consoles. This is due to poor coding rather than the power of the consoles though.

My point stands anyway, that there are many great games on consoles which simply are not available on the PC, period.

P-E

P-E

Associate
dirtydog said:
Codemasters are known for releasing games on the PC which stutter, and involve silly workarounds turning down hardware sound acceleration and the like.

Think I stated in an earlier post the only annoyance for me is the need to tweak my PC..........but worth it.

For me at the moment there are two racing/driving games that are loaded onto my PC.......

GTR & Superbike 2001 both look and play exactley as I would want them too........now thats just my opinion period ;)

Having said that there are complaints about both the above mentioned games crashing and not loading on PC's.

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
I think if every PC gamer tried out console gaming (because many haven't), PC gaming would probably die off or at least shrink considerably.

I think the converse is even more likely. If all the console only gamers sat down and gave PC gaming a proper try (i.e. played some top titles on a good spec PC for a few weeks, getting used to it etc), rather than just 5mins at a friend's house, they might get hooked and want that for themselves.

I was won over by PC games playing titles like Civ, Populous2, Moraff's Dungeon, Championship Manager '93 and Doom on a friends PC, despite having current-gen console hardware. Back then a lot of people looked down their noses at the PC, not taking it seriously as a gaming platform. While that perception has changed somewhat, there are still those (casual gamers in particular) who when thinking about games, will automatically be thinking along the lines of PS2, xbox etc.

Back
Top Bottom