PC Gaming Dead?

Permabanned
VeNT said:
and don't forget, you want to play the new Xbox games? you need a new Xbox, want to play the latest PC games on that 3 year old Athlon 3200/512 ram witha 9800 pro? go for it! just turn down the graphics a bit!!

Hmm if I want to play new xbox games I can play them on a 3 year old xbox and they'll run as well as they do on a new xbox. You can't say that for PC games. I realise you meant xbox360 but just making the point.

I do indeed use my PC for lots of other things, but I'm buggered if I'm going to perform another expensive upgrade cycle any time soon in order to play newer games - which will probably still stutter or have issues compared to the console versions.

Soldato
errr, stutter? I've not had ANY stuttering issues on my PC from ANY recent game (even BF 2) and I don't spend lots on it at all, I'm still using my old Athlon 2500 (sure at 3200) and 1gig ram (over 2 years old now), only recent addition to my system was a 6600GT (and how much are they nowadays?) so how is "another expensive upgrade cycle" needed to play "newer" games?
if you want to play the LATEST games on OMG WOW settings, then yeah, your going to need top end stuff, but JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE OLD HARDWARE DOES NOT STOP YOU PLAYING! and those OMG WOW settings will beat seven shades out of any consol game.

Permabanned
VeNT said:
errr, stutter? I've not had ANY stuttering issues on my PC from ANY recent game (even BF 2) and I don't spend lots on it at all, I'm still using my old Athlon 2500 (sure at 3200) and 1gig ram (over 2 years old now), only recent addition to my system was a 6600GT (and how much are they nowadays?)

£120? Plus I'd need a new PSU as I doubt my current generic 300w one would be powerful enough. So you're talking the thick end of £150. Some PC games do stutter, like most of Codemasters racing games - it's due to poor coding for the PC versions rather than PC performance. An xbox costs £80 or a ps2 costs £95.. with a controller which will play every single game perfectly because the game was designed purely for that hardware and controller.

The only game I really play on my PC now (which is a P4 2.6C, 1GB PC3200 and Ti 4200) is UT2004. I might consider upgrading if UT2007 is sufficiently good - but tbh I doubt I will. Perhaps when you can get 6600GT performance for £50 I will upgrade then.

Associate
Flammy said:
I found it quite depressing reading to see that John Carmack, interviewed in PCGamer, said that Id was concentrating more on the Xbox 360 in future because piracy was hurting them so badly in the pocket.
Go on to your favourite torrent site and search for Doom 3. After reading that article i did for an experiment (i had already bought the game so no piracy on my part) and was amazed at the number of people who had downloaded it. Over 100000 people and that was just from one site (and not the most popular one). I can see why John Carmack has taken that stance but i feel the steam method would have been better. Not only is steam a good anti piracy device it's also a fantastic marketing tool. I doubt i'd have bought Ragdoll Kung Fu if it hadn't been for its steam distribution.

Associate
Well I was a PC gaming fan for a few years (I played Call of Duty UO constantly and was a member of the great clan BW-UK)

I have now got an xbox 360 and have let the PC go for a while. For me, the 2 formats maybe should not be compared too closely as the experience seems completely different. My PC gaming was dedicated to One Game all the time. The clan involvement was large which gave the game a Modded, very personal feel (there were all kinds of mods and custom maps which were not part of the original game) Intense may be the word I suppose

Now, I have moved downstairs to the easy chair, hung up my keyboard and mouse and moved to are more laid back form of recreation (Please dont jump down my throat at this, it is MY opinion and may differ from yours) I play games I never did on my PC such as kameo and PGR 3. As for Call of Duty 2 on the 360, I havnt bothered. For me,(once again my opinion will differ from yours) the Game in its present form cant compare to the 50+ player servers, mods and the Keyboard/ mouse control I enjoyed as a PC gamer. By the same token, sat in my office playing kameo on my PC would never be the same as sat downstairs in front of my LCD TV in an armchair with a wireless controller in hand.

What Im saying is that one format is no better or worse than the others...at the moment. If the Xbox 360 afforded keyboard/mouse control (if like me you cant get the hang of Joypad for FPS), dedicated servers (and server admins with server control such as kicking), there might be a different story...

Last edited:
Associate
I know how good MMORPGs and FPS are on PC. And thats my point. I wont play these types of games on a console because the console wont do a proper job. What the console does is let me play PGR 3 naked in my front room surrounded by beer which Just isnt as comfortable upstairs in the box room that is my office :) The two formats are different animals. Horses for Courses

Soldato
If console software companies eventually start (properly) porting Xbox 360 or PS3 native titles to the PC then I'll gladly spend £350+ on a new graphics card, while we're still getting inundated with badly coded PS2 ports I'm not going to bother.

Associate
dirtydog said:
Hmm sorry but those games are nothing like the games I mentioned.. oh well. I suppose if you stretch a point by a long way then they could be said to have a similarity to the Gran Turismo series.

Where are the PC versions of PGR or Burnout, or their equivalents?

edit - I made the mistake of trying GTL and GTR and my god what a load of crap.. not fit to clean Gran Turismo's boots I'm afraid.

I should add that PC racers like LFS and GTL are serious racing sims and require a lot of patience and skill so shouldnt be compared to console racing games such as Gran Turismo or "Burnout". Like I said earlier I enjoyed the Gran Turismo games (I have a ps2 with both GT3 and GT4), but since then I purchased Live For Speed and a steering wheel I havent looked back! Seriously your missing out dude. Nothing beats being able to race with 20 other people online. Cant think of a console racer that supports that. Just a personal preference but I prefer proper racing sims as opposed to arcade racers like Burnout, which I have no desire to play. Also, can you elaborate on why you thought GTL and GTR were "crap"? You werent playing with a keyboard were you?

Permabanned
GTL and GTR are almost exactly the same game with different cars, as far as I can see.. they both use the old EA F1 2002 engine don't they? It runs like a pig on my system as well, unless I turn the details right down. It doesn't hold a candle to GT3/4 visually - apart from the higher resolution. No, I didn't play with the keyboard as I know they have analogue steering. I just found the games to be very dated and dull. Also I couldn't give a toss about online play, probably in common with most console owners.

Associate
dirtydog said:
. Also I couldn't give a toss about online play, probably in common with most console owners.

I for one disagree. Playing PGR 3 online with friends is a great laugh and gives the game longevity far beyond what single player would do. Live has been made deliberately easy to use (unlike PS2 which I found horrible compared to getting online with PC) and I hope there will be more and more online games for consoles. IMO despite the advances in AI, single player can be a bit scripted sometimes.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
£120? Plus I'd need a new PSU as I doubt my current generic 300w one would be powerful enough. So you're talking the thick end of £150. Some PC games do stutter, like most of Codemasters racing games - it's due to poor coding for the PC versions rather than PC performance. An xbox costs £80 or a ps2 costs £95.. with a controller which will play every single game perfectly because the game was designed purely for that hardware and controller.

The only game I really play on my PC now (which is a P4 2.6C, 1GB PC3200 and Ti 4200) is UT2004. I might consider upgrading if UT2007 is sufficiently good - but tbh I doubt I will. Perhaps when you can get 6600GT performance for £50 I will upgrade then.

tbh I'm running my system on a generic 500W PSU that cost me £10.

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
An xbox costs £80 or a ps2 costs £95.. with a controller which will play every single game perfectly because the game was designed purely for that hardware and controller.

Not strictly true - there are quite a few mutliplatform titles (primarily FPS) which were not designed purely for that hardware/controller. Take Doom3 for example, I'd much rather play that with a mouse and keyboard than an xbox pad. Games may be adapted slightly for the controller concerned but the likes of Doom3 certainly weren't designed from the ground up with a gamepad in mind.

Associate
how can people say 2005 was a crap year for pc games? it was a great year with titles such as

COD2
Fear
Quake 4
Swat 4
Rep Commando
Area 51
Sniper Elite
NFS Most Wanted
BF2
MOHAA Pacific Assault
Pariah
Evil Dead Regeneration

As you can tell I like FPS games but can't stand them on consoles, I'd only ever consider a 360 or PS3 if they had keyboard/mouse support. Going by titles for this year too it looks like it should be another good year.

Man of Honour
MOH:pA was 2004, and Area51 is a bit of a turd. Aside from FPS it wasn't a great year really (although we did see civ4, and the rather original Fahrenheit).

2006 has a host of potentially terrific titles lined up though.

Back
Top Bottom