Pentagon releases UFO footage

Associate
I think there's a vast difference between the AI we have now and General AI. And still a gap from there to sentient AI that can actual manifest its desired outcomes.

I believe (in at least the possibility) there is going to be a pretty horrendous situation in our living memory of bad actors using current generation (dumb) AI to spread disinformation at worldwide scale. I think anything like that would stilt the speed at which the next useful level of AI would become mainstream.

Caporegime
world AI is largely a buzz word the latest thing to have.
Microsoft excel was always powered by AI going of how the word is used..

how "AI" learn through trial and error to play games shows how dumb they are and it's all based on a reward system set up by a human.

it's like training a dog with biscuits... it's not intelligent at all.... it's basically playing hot or cold, and they need millions of hours of training before they can beat a human.

that openAI bot that beat human teams at dota2 had 180 straight years of experience per bot, but they don't learn in real time...

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Training being the key word. Training leads to intelligence, and in machine learning that is directly related to the level of compute you throw at the training models. This is why actual "AI" is only seen by a handful of companies, NASA, DARPA, Google, MS, OpenAI etc who have the resources to throw massive amounts of compute at whatever their project funding is working toward.

The speed of compute is always getting faster, as is the cost getting lower as tech advances and reaches more mainstream outlets.

Soldato
Training being the key word. Training leads to intelligence, and in machine learning that is directly related to the level of compute you throw at the training models. This is why actual "AI" is only seen by a handful of companies, NASA, DARPA, Google, MS, OpenAI etc who have the resources to throw massive amounts of compute at whatever their project funding is working toward.

The speed of compute is always getting faster, as is the cost getting lower as tech advances and reaches more mainstream outlets.
I am not convinced that even with unlimited training and compute power AI can make that leap to real Intelligence. There is more to Intelligence then pure processing power and training. I don't think current silicon based processors are going to make that leap any time soon if ever. Saying that I can see improvements happening to the current day fake AI we have. AI in some situations is useful and well develop more. Its just I don't see that singularity point happening without some sort of unexpected major technological breakthrough which might not even be possible. Its very possible we could find ourselves as a race 1,000 or 10,000 years in the future without real AI.

Or I could be wrong and some new type of processor not based on our current technology comes out with some sort of new programming method come out and that Intelligence line is crossed. I just doubt it based on the foreseeable future.

Associate
Agreed, I also wouldn't say training=intelligence, feels overly simplistic. If you had the fastest system in the universe, it knew everything and could answer any question instantly, it's still at the mercy of humans asking it relatively dumb questions. I wouldn't call it useless but (again relatively speaking), my reaction would be rather muted compared to something that is proactive and bubbling along nicely without humans holding it back.

If DARPA has something doing that now, until it has broken free or something at the scale of ontological shock we're just guessing and gets a shrug from me.

I do find it interesting though despite my grumpiness at the overuse of the term AI. To bring it back on topic, I do believe in the unknown but not in AI controlled space discs. :p

Soldato
Isn't there an AI thread?
Not that I have seen though not done a search. Its sort of related. Its theorized by some that the UAPs are unmanned AI driven drones or probes. Which also explains some of the crashes as the AI are following programming rules and coming across unexpected none programmed problems leading to crashes.

Man of Honour
For those interested this isn't too bad - https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/77436/alien-encounters-fact-or-fiction

I thought it was going to be bad until the 'Team' decided that a plaster of Paris footprint a couple bought in was actually an escaped Emu and the sound the man made of the Alien creature was the sound of an Emu.
An object a woman bought in that she dug out of her ear wasn't an Alien implant but a tooth crown which had been in there years. How it got there was even stranger than it being Aliens.
Yes there was some cases where the Team hadn't got a clue but at least they are trying to be objective.

Back
Top Bottom