• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

People who got GPUs, how did you do it?

Associate
After refusing to settle for anything except a 3080 (best price/performance at anything under a grand) I got bored of trying the discord drops and just ordered a custom prebuilt from a competitor, with the EVGA 3080 priced at £850 although not in stock. I figured being on a waiting list was better than nothing.

Submitted the order and was subsequently contacted with questions as it was clear I was only after the CPU, MB and GPU, and offered me a bundle at a much lower price, along with my (very low) place in the queue for the 3080.

Placed the order, bundle despatched the next day, arrived the day after. Opened the box, and in the bottom of it was the 3080 as ordered! Was expecting to be waiting months for it…

This is all in the last week…

Associate
On a discord server, and am currently working from home. Have a disability so I'm basically at my computer, with discord running, 16 hours a day every day since I started looking in march.

No GPUs yet. Whenever they get in stock, I immediately click through to the shop, and they're already out of stock. Our robot overlords are just too powerful.

Only exceptions are Amazon (selling at double the cost of ebay scalpers), and OC (selling at about 10%-20% more than ebay scalpers). These remain available at the moment, but if I can't afford scalper prices then I def cant afford gauged prices.

So I continue my search. One day.

Tbh when the 40xx cards drop, the 30xx cards will probably become more available, and that may be when I can finally get some work done. Alternatively I could try buying 2x 2080ti and go that route.

Soldato
Back on September 25, I navigated to the pc store website. And clicked on the buy button for the RTX3090 , then 6 weeks later the store told me to come pickup the gpu

Permabanned
Signed up to telegram and discord alerts. Spent a good month or two trying to get a founders model 3080 but no joy, had a 3090 FE in basket as few times but bailed as dont need power and is too expensive. So I left all the notification groups and gave up.....day or so later....telegram pops up on pc with a 3080 alert, had forgotten to leave one group and managed to bag a 3080 FE.

Soldato
Midnight launch day I got a Ventus 3080 from a retailer who jumped the gun with listing. Arrived week 1 after launch. That turned out to be faulty and a replacement order put me back of the queue (awful policy).

My TUF OC 3080 was using alert on distill browser extension in October. At this point cancelled my replacement ventus from that retailer and also the XC3 3080 £750 order at OCUK where I was 9th in queue so some lucky fella got the GPU that was going to be mine.

The FE I replaced with was discord alert and sold TUF OC at cost on members market (think £770 or something?). And 3090 FE for my other PC was incredibly easy, it was around the time the 3090 FE would hang around for sale for hours in early January (couldn't got it earlier than that but kept umming and aahhing).

TL;DR I've had one since launch and they were much easier to get a hold of last year.

Soldato
I bought mine from the Member's Market on a bit of whim last November before prices went bonkers. I couldn't have been luckier considering the trouble some have been having getting one without getting ripped off.

Associate
Only went with the one order, on launch day, for the Strix OC 3090. Closest I ever came to FE was having one in the cart but never intended checking it out TBH. Felt the money was gone already on the ASUS and that's the card I wanted, so was prepared to wait and had next to no interest in helping some scalper..........or scalping with a FE order.
Two month wait until the card dropped in the door.

Associate
It’s almost worth it to buy a prebuilt and sell on the parts. I’ve looked at a few options.

But the warranty would be with the system not the card.

Associate
It’s almost worth it to buy a prebuilt and sell on the parts. I’ve looked at a few options.

But the warranty would be with the system not the card.

I've considered this too, and if I needed any other parts I would definitely go that route. But I'd basically have to somehow sell the whole system (without a gpu) which isn't really viable. Probably won't save much, especially after fees, and it'll be a lot more effort.

Man of Honour
I guess technically I got lucky. I had some idea of the day and time when FE drops were happening and just started hitting F5 at that time can't remember if it was the second or third drop, my second attempt, I managed to put an order through. First time I almost had it but by the time I'd got through to the checkout stock was gone.

Associate
I've considered this too, and if I needed any other parts I would definitely go that route. But I'd basically have to somehow sell the whole system (without a gpu) which isn't really viable. Probably won't save much, especially after fees, and it'll be a lot more effort.

I've also considered it and I do have a GPU which could go in it, this 2080. But the whole warranty thing being complicated or impossible has stopped me doing this.

Which is a shame, because the 2080 in such a prebuilt would still be a nice system to sell on.

Ivs

Ivs

Associate
I notice a lot of forum members on here have managed to secure themselves a RTX 30 card of some sorts. I'm just wondering the procedure of how you did it?

I was there for the release of the RTX 3080 and had ample time to place a pre order and get whatever, but I decided against it as I wanted to wait for a potential 3080ti. I've regretted this decision since as the market has become flooded with scalpers and miners.

I tried getting a RTX 3080ti and I didn't even see the add to basket button appear. I had lots of tabs open with different 3080ti's, I really didn't mind which one I got. I'm wondering now if I would have been better refreshing just one card, rather than all ten tabs I had open.

How did you guys manage to buy? In store, just got lucky online?

I bought my brother's 3070 for his birthday by preordering in October. Had to wait 6 months. 3 months to get to #1 in the queue and another 3 months thanks for Brexit.

I was only half lucky. Wish I had preordered 2 because now I need a 3070 and cant get one. Hopefully that voucher for 50+ members will help me get one. I'll be over the moon, boys

Associate
First of all there's ways to get alerts from bots which poll stock on all the popular websites and then ping you a message, and if you search around you can find them on discord and various other platforms. You'll want to create accounts on all the stores that the bot checks and save your payment details and shipping details ready to go, if you have to fill those in during checkout that'll be too slow and you'll lose the card, most stores wont reserve the card for you specifically just because you've added it to basket, the stock reservation wont be done until checkout is complete (after payment), with the exception of 1 store I know about.

The rest is just luck and how fast you can react to the alerts, if you can't have it running and have access to a browser for most of the day you're unlikely to get anything, you need to respond to the alert almost the instant it lands and get through payment fast, any hesitation or messing about and you'll lose it.

I was lucky because it was actually the launch day for the 6800XT competitor from AMD when I got my 3080. I think the preorders went live at mid day UK time or something like that, and literally as the stores all dropped the stock everyone went into a frenzy trying to buy them. Meanwhile some stores also dropped stock of 3080s at the exact same moment, so while everyone was distracted with the AMD launch I managed to snag my 3080. Even then it was marked up to £800 which at the time was quite a lot, but in hindsight well worth it considering prices now.

Have a long think about how much you're willing to pay and set yourself a limit, do some research oh what common prices are. If a card pops up it'll be expensive and if you have to mull over the purchase in the moment because you're unsure on price you'll lose it, you need consider your limits first so in the moment it's just an immediate yes/no decision. It really is that harsh, if you pause for even a second you wont get it, because so many people are using bots/alerts things get snatched up instantly. Speed is the key.

Associate
Managed to get a 3060ti from the Nvidia stock drop when the 3080 ti was released, I guess I was lucky because of the distraction caused by the 3080ti and that many were focused on that? I basically signed up to a part alert on Twitter and Telegram, and hit the link as soon as notified. Took a while as I waited for stock to re-appear but after 5 mins I had the option to add to basket and luckily managed to complete the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom