• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

People who got GPUs, how did you do it?

Associate
It's as simple as:

1) Be lucky (most important)
2) Don't be fussy (buy whatever even if it's not a great deal or card you want the most)
3) Get your ducks in a row (user account with card payment details pre-entered etc etc).

As he said. I will add as well, trying smaller shops and accept a lower tier / grade brand. I found plenty Zotac 3060 / 3060Ti in a local shop, at close to MSRP but nothing higher tier

Soldato
Fluke.

Went onto that site for an FE card when I got a stock notification. I managed to add one to the basket but couldn't log in so had to reset my password, then I had to go and get my wallet because my account on the site had an expired card. I then proceeded to input the card details wrong, but went through the second time fine. Order placed.

Associate
I had to set up an auto shopping bot on my pc and have it check a number of websites every few seconds and relay this to a discord server in case I am out and about. Just bagged a 3090 FE but was hoping to get a 3080/ti. If anyone who got a 3080 but wanted a 3090 and who wants to swap + pay the bit extra I'd be happy to do so. Not looking to make any cash out of it but I do need a card and the 3090 is more than I require...

Soldato
Guess its better to push out 3080ti and 3090 because they get bigger margins and still being sold out quickly , wonder how many who wanted the 3080 ended up forking out for 80ti and 3090, had the 3080ti in basket just cant justify it

Associate
I've got above 50 posts now but still unable to see the GPU deals section - not going to get anywhere near access to the MM anytime soon with a 15 forum post a day limit (and I don't want to post just for postings sake), anyone know what section to look for this GPU deals section, is it in graphics or the main forum page or deals n offers? Cheers

Ree

Ree

Associate
I was in the Founders Edition thread and someone posted they were in stock think it was the 2nd drop of the cards on the beginning of November last year. Got my 3070 just by pure luck.

Associate
Was on the list for the Tuf 3080 Gaming here (one with the 1000s on the backlog) and came across a Gigabyte Master 3080 on a competitor for a few 100 quid more than MSRP so just bit the bullet and got it.. Glad i did now as its more than double what i paid for it....

Ree

Ree

Associate
I think thats what I need to hold out for - some good luck!

Funny thing is I saw they were in stock and went and made tea and mulled over whether to get it. I wasn't actually checking places to get one as I was happy with my 2070S at the time but I loved the look of the new cards and went for it obviously.

Associate
I got a zotac 3090 on a major competitor website just before xmas, it was at rrp with no waiting list.
I also bought an msi 3090 on a small retailer site in about march. It was rrp and about 1 month wait. I bought it purely to sell on, i wasnt greedy, i made about £275 on just under £2k.

Associate
so i bought a pre built pc last demember without a gpu as i was going to keep my 1070 for a while longer

but after getting a 6800xt that was broken i decided to drop a email to where i bought the pc from, asking if i could buy a gpu from them and to my suprise they said yes and i got my 3080ti this morning

Associate
I was keeping an eye on various sites for about 6 months or so, but not really trying as I wanted an NCASE M1 and they weren't shipping to the UK at the time due to Covid. Got the case a few weeks ago but missed the 8080FE drop where quite a few people managed to get a card from here.

The following week was the 3080Ti launch and I'd setup alerts with Telegram. I didn't want one but looked at the time to get a feel for how the process worked - followed the link to the competitor site but got no buy button. Then the 3070/3090 alerts came through. Was trying to get a 3070 and while doing this the 3080 alert popped up (which is the card I really wanted). Immediately clicked on the link and after a few refreshes the buy button appeared!

So effectively I got a 3080FE on my first real attempt. I very much put this down to right place/right time and a heavy dose of luck. I'd installed Telegram on my laptop that morning which helped as I'm much faster with a keyboard and mouse than phone. It also helped that I'm still working from home so have my personal laptop next to me.

Edit: 14 years from join date to first post!! Didn't realise I'd never posted before as always come here when building a new PC :D

Should also add I hadn't upgraded in years - was using a Radeon HD 7950 so was definitely in need of a new card!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom