1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People you admired but now you don't

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SexyGreyFox, Feb 9, 2019.

1. String

Capodecina

Kevin Spacey.

A t-shirt, wow. :p

2. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Bought from the Vatican

and admired is a bit strong, I couldn't think of a word when I was starting the thread.
    I meant loved.

3. Screeeech

Mobster

Ben Carson

One of the best neurosurgeons who ever lived, decided to go into politics, and ended up talking such enormous amounts of embarrassing nonsense, got nowhere and looked like a fool.

Richard Dawkins

Some of his original works were excellent, (blind watchmaker, selfish gene) but since then he’s gone on this never ending religious bashing crusade, I just think he’s wasting his intellect and he should know better.

4. Yadda

Wise Guy

Lance Armstrong.

I, like most people, thought he was one of the best athletes to have ever lived, an achievement made all the greater by the fact that he's a cancer survivor. Turns out he was a liar, a bully and a cheat.

5. String

Capodecina

Great shout, although I don't mind his religious bashing to the point where I don't admire him, but I certainly find the science much more interesting.

6. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

I agree with what others here said about Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter.

I don't think that Michael Jackson was a paedo though and I still listen to his music. I agree that he was completely and utterly stupid to invite children to his Neverland Ranch place. This had allowed people to use that as a vehicle to take Jacko to court but led to no convictions and instead milked Jacko with out-of-court settlements. And now in 2019, people are still trying to milk from his estate. These are people who swore themselves under oath in court and have now changed their minds.

7. Efour

Capodecina

I used to admire Hitler but when I found out he turned vegetarian, wow, he went right down in my book.

I mean he did some great work, i heard he designed the kdf funwagon, AKA the Volkswagen beetle.

8. Chojin

Wise Guy

When I went to Uffizi gallery I noticed that a number of works were attributed to Leonardo da Vinci "and others" (or something along those lines). It made we question how much involvement Leonardo da Vinci actually had.

While I don't really admire as such, when celebrities become political and try to influence voting, they tend to go down in my estimation. Andy Murray would be a good example, imploring people to vote for Scotland independence on Twitter the day before the vote, and then a couple of years later happily accepting a knighthood.

9. String

Capodecina

Why should he refuse a knighthood, the referendum didn't propose the abolition of the monarchy in Scotland?

10. StevieP

Soldato

This needs it's own thread and/or TV series!

11. Squark

Capodecina

I have similar feelings, can't think of listening to their music after finding out what a twisted sicko he is.

12. MoRT489

Soldato

Almost spat out my tea :D

Same, I saw them live, had albums but now can’t listen to them. Unbelievable how disturbed some people are and their best friends don’t even know.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. Housey

Man of Honour

Prince Philips driving instructor.

14. Morve

Gangster

Jon Jones, greatest mma fighter ever, but got busted cheating and stripped multiple times ,waiting for the next time he messes up , tarnished his legacy

15. Scam

Capodecina

I always used to like Richard Branson and thought he was a fairly regular guy, until I read his book which shed some light on a fairly rich upbringing. Silver spoon some might say.

I still like him but it's amazing what you can achieve with rich parents willing to lend you a whole load of money when you're a teenager...

16. floatindolphin

Wise Guy

Their 2nd record was awesome! Sadly had to bin it, what a &£@&!! He is. Shame the rest of the band are accosiated with him

17. floatindolphin

Wise Guy

Thought you were talking about me for a second!?

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=bookmarks

18. Andy__C

Hitman

Decent call..... should have been the undisputed greatest but i kinda almost hope he isn't.

Sorrt for taking this political, but Corbyn. I hoped for something a little different.

19. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

I liked Morrissey, and then he became a right-wing ****.

20. Evangelion

Capodecina

What exactly is Leonardo da Vinci alleged to have plagiarised?

That's called showmanship. It's not that the trick was easy; it was difficult, but Houdini was just very good at escaping. Since he knew that if he appeared too soon the audience would be disappointed, he very sensibly generated more tension and suspense to keep them entertained.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019