Performance Car Values - They Be Crashing

Man of Honour
OP
I think advertised prices bare little resemblance to selling prices, not least when they have been dealer ornaments for 6 months. Discounts on new Porsches are a thing, even GT cars I believe. There are always some garages in some places who have 'their customers' who can maintain higher prices because those customers always buy from said dealership and don't like to be seen to get into dirty discount discussions because they don't need to.

There is a lot of hate for Porsche (GT car brown envelopes), Ferrari (if you want one of these good ones then first but a California) and McLaren (lack of support for customers and 2nd hand markets), at the moment and many people are looking forward to getting their backsides kissed by dealers who wouldn't even let them in for a coffee 6 months ago or who were 'busy' when they walked in to buy a car. I am not one of those, but I know many people who have started to get the calls and have told dealers to 'go **** yourselves'.

Associate
shame they've ruined the interior tho eh. that stubby gear lever is gash, and they've put the exhaust button in the touchscreen! i use it more than the volume on the radio lol. not a big fan of the rear end either.

I think ill be keeping the GTS another year, then looking to swop it. No idea at all what for right now. Hope the prices dont take a 50% drop like you say housey!! although on the upside the next one will be cheap lol. Just checked on AT and 991.1 GTS values seem the same level they were same time last year when i started looking... who knows. Bottom end of the 991 market seems to have properly entered the middle/late forties, when they were min 50k 12 mths ago. Hoping the last of the NA cars like my GTS holds its value better, but I think every 911 owner ever has said this lol.

The laughable thing is with all this, is that i've suffered far worse depreciation on every single one of my daily drivers over the years from Audi, BMW, LR etc etc, and I dont really think about it.

Man of Honour
The laughable thing is with all this, is that i've suffered far worse depreciation on every single one of my daily drivers over the years from Audi, BMW, LR etc etc, and I dont really think about it.
Crazy isn't it, I'm not really sure why but as a guess I'd say obviously a Porsche is more of an outlay and there's always a chance of a huge uplift if the right model is bought on the right day etc etc, compared to an Audi or Ford or whatever where psychologically everyone knows it will simply depreciate like almost any other car so there's just no discussion.

My RS6 has depreciated twice as much as my GT3 for example and I've never yet been on an Audi group where the discussion has ever come up whereas in Porsche circles it's always "well it's a good time to buy, prices are on the up! / great time to buy, prices never been lower // great time to sell, good prices right now, great future investment...."

Being a bit mean I'd say it's because many people stretch themselves to buy a Porsche rather than being more sensible in a beemer, because a Porsche is still achievable with standard man maths - not quite the same level as Ferrari world where the average owner likely has a stable of exotic toys and 7 butlers to manage them all.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Agreed.

Going to see a Jag F-Type v6 Supercharged tomorrow - 20k miles up for 30k. They were 38k all day long during the summer.

OcUK Staff
Agreed.

Going to see a Jag F-Type v6 Supercharged tomorrow - 20k miles up for 30k. They were 38k all day long during the summer.

I had a V6S very playful car and fun to drive, but outright pace rather lacking, but as a fun car the V6S RWD is fun, but it felt more like 300HP not 380 they should be.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, but nearly every car will feel slower than my Westfield anyway.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
It’s right at the other of the market I know, but dealers who refused offers I put in 6 weeks ago on RS3s and C63 are now calling me having reduced them to below what I’d offered (after giving me the speile of his great a car they were and they won’t hang around long....)

At those values it’s more likely the time of year than anything else though I’d imagine.

Associate
I'm glad I got out of my 650S spider two summers ago, whilst it still worth something and just before the used prices went into freefall.

Regarding the 570S; I've not heard of any expensive battery issues, providing you keep on a trickle charger, but the thing to look out for is corrosion on the body panel edges - they all seem to suffer from it at some point and it can take an age to resolve.
The thing is with Mclaren, they are fantastic cars to drive, but they just seem interested in selling more and more new cars and not doing a very good job of supporting the used ones (not enough main dealers and they won't allow indies), which makes the residuals fall through the floor.
I've heard that McLaren dealers won't bid on 12C and 650S cars any more.
What's going to happen to 570S prices when all the pcp cars, some with guaranteed residuals, come back onto the market?

Man of Honour
OP
I'm glad I got out of my 650S spider two summers ago, whilst it still worth something and just before the used prices went into freefall.

Regarding the 570S; I've not heard of any expensive battery issues, providing you keep on a trickle charger, but the thing to look out for is corrosion on the body panel edges - they all seem to suffer from it at some point and it can take an age to resolve.
The thing is with Mclaren, they are fantastic cars to drive, but they just seem interested in selling more and more new cars and not doing a very good job of supporting the used ones (not enough main dealers and they won't allow indies), which makes the residuals fall through the floor.
I've heard that McLaren dealers won't bid on 12C and 650S cars any more.
What's going to happen to 570S prices when all the pcp cars, some with guaranteed residuals, come back onto the market?
That sums up McLaren's issue and the PCP cars are all starting to turn up. I was close to a 570S a month back but current market flux made me stop. I am now waiting to see what happens as I am in no rush to change the R8 so can go when I am ready to go.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Sounds like McLaren just don't want return customers :p

"Buy the car and **** off."

If you have the money they will schmooze you with free trackdays and demos in their cars at their private test facilities. If you fall into this category of customer then they definitely want you.

But yes average joe buy-a-mclaren-once they dont care about.

OcUK Staff
That sums up McLaren's issue and the PCP cars are all starting to turn up. I was close to a 570S a month back but current market flux made me stop. I am now waiting to see what happens as I am in no rush to change the R8 so can go when I am ready to go.

I am in exactly same boat mate, just sit back and watch.

Mate just did a deal with a main dealer for a GT3 at 30k below list.

To be honest a 991.2 GT3 for 120k from an OPC is a cracking deal, it is very tempting but I think GT3's will for sure be going even lower, the cherry has popped as to speak.

Back
Top Bottom