Performance Car Values - They Be Crashing

OcUK Staff
Yep people want petrol cars when it comes to sports cars, especially "purist" petrol cars.

Lower down the market they are all holding their value now pretty much. Classics like the S2000 and s1/s2 Elise are going UP. Even my gt86 still has half of it's value after 5.5 years which is nuts.

They will continue to do so, days of picking up an E46 M3 for under 5k generally don't exist any more unless its a terrible example. But on the flip side M3 CSL which were fetching over 60k, are now trading between 40-50k, there is certainly a correction happening on the upper end.

But yeah the lower end are certainly still holding value and many are indeed increasing.

Jon told me earlier you can now get an MY17 GTR for under 60k, bargain that!

Soldato
I know for myself EV has zero interest to me, for me its all about noise and performance, I am not interested in performance without noise

Yes, which is exactly what I said - "unless you have to have stupid loud noise"

I am sure there will be an equal new generation of performance car lovers that will seek to have the fastest car possible, with as little noise as possible, while smashing the performance of the ICE cars they are replacing. A select few cars will go up massively in value, just like any collectors item, others will become huge money drains and eventually be worthless to all but the most extreme collectors.

OcUK Staff
Yes, which is exactly what I said - "unless you have to have stupid loud noise"

I am sure there will be an equal new generation of performance car lovers that will seek to have the fastest car possible, with as little noise as possible, while smashing the performance of the ICE cars they are replacing. A select few cars will go up massively in value, just like any collectors item, others will become huge money drains and eventually be worthless to all but the most extreme collectors.

I like silly loud!

To be honest EV will not catch on for years, particular performance ones and especially if the car has a lifespan of 8-10yr before batteries need replacing at a cost more than you paid for car.

The people I know who spend millions on cars and the people spending a couple hundred ground because they enjoy driving and all of them have zero interest in EV, they still want the gas guzzlers.

Soldato
I like silly loud!

To be honest EV will not catch on for years, particular performance ones and especially if the car has a lifespan of 8-10yr before batteries need replacing at a cost more than you paid for car.

The people I know who spend millions on cars and the people spending a couple hundred ground because they enjoy driving and all of them have zero interest in EV, they still want the gas guzzlers.

Nothing wrong with liking loud, there is just going to be very few new cars with loud released after 2025.

As for the battery comment, I believe you'll probably see them priced a lot more fairly than you are making out, as a large amount of them will be able to be refurbished. I am also sure there will be car tuning places that will offer upgrades etc. just like there are now, and you are considering what value a pack would have if trading it in against a new/refurbished one either, especially if it is a large proportion of the car cost. No to mention that cells will get cheaper and cheaper as the years pass and they become far more common.

As for the people you know, if not a single one of them never buys a EV super/performance car I'll eat all the GPU boxes you throw away for a year. Screen print and save this comment. ;)

OcUK Staff
Nothing wrong with liking loud, there is just going to be very few new cars with loud released after 2025.

As for the battery comment, I believe you'll probably see them priced a lot more fairly than you are making out, as a large amount of them will be able to be refurbished. I am also sure there will be car tuning places that will offer upgrades etc. just like there are now, and you are considering what value a pack would have if trading it in against a new/refurbished one either, especially if it is a large proportion of the car cost. No to mention that cells will get cheaper and cheaper as the years pass and they become far more common.

As for the people you know, if not a single one of them never buys a EV super/performance car I'll eat all the GPU boxes you throw away for a year. Screen print and save this comment. ;)

What timeframe? :D

One just purchased a new SVR RR at 150k and is also looking at a 570S Spyder.

Another is looking at 570s
Another a Cayman GT4

Another is testing driving R8’s, Lambos and Mclarens

The idea of EV is not even considered they all want loud and super car but with noise even the Macca is low on priorities because it sounds the worse even though it’s the fastest.

Certainly within my circle of friends more emphasise is placed on soundtrack than performance.

Soldato
What timeframe? :D

One just purchased a new SVR RR at 150k and is also looking at a 570S Spyder.

Another is looking at 570s
Another a Cayman GT4

Another is testing driving R8’s, Lambos and Mclarens

The idea of EV is not even considered they all want loud and super car but with noise even the Macca is low on priorities because it sounds the worse even though it’s the fastest.

Certainly within my circle of friends more emphasise is placed on soundtrack than performance.

Honestly that surprises me a bit, if I had the money for any of the above the first thing I’d do is put down a deposit on the Tesla Roadster. It’s going to catch everyone with their pants down.

OcUK Staff
Honestly that surprises me a bit, if I had the money for any of the above the first thing I’d do is put down a deposit on the Tesla Roadster. It’s going to catch everyone with their pants down.

Just not interested in Tesla, it might be damn quick, but for myself and certainly my circle of friends a Tesla is considered junk. :D

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just not interested in Tesla, it might be damn quick, but for myself and certainly my circle of friends a Tesla is considered junk. :D

Goldie had his 6 months, actual time spent driving it <1 week. He got a full refund form Tesla cos the thing was an absolute pile of excrement.

Soldato

Where exactly are you going to drive that quickly? On a track? It is yet to be seen if it will hold up on one for more than a couple of laps.

That is literally all it has going for it. There is otherwise no theatre or experience.

Man of Honour
Where exactly are you going to drive that quickly? On a track? It is yet to be seen if it will hold up on one for more than a couple of laps.

That is literally all it has going for it. There is otherwise no theatre or experience.

To be fair being fast off the line (not that I advocate it) on the road does catch most with their pants down - my brother had a stage 2 remap and low level power tune of some sort on his previous (fairly normal) car and you'd get people with flashy supercars revving at the lights with completely no answer to it in terms of getting moving (sure over 1/4 mile or more they'd leave it in the dust).

Man of Honour
OP
There is a huge difference between taking about what you might do and what you actually do when it comes to your chance. :)

And to the other point raised above, I have a huge circle of connections and friends who buy super cars, most of them I have met because of a shared passion but none of them is talking about the next electric special, none, zero, nix.

There is however a recognition that the world is changing and that what we all want today we will struggle to get tomorrow and what we have today isn’t the same as what it was yesterday. In 20 years time it will be different but imply in 5 years or so those same buyers will all be buying electric cars or that today they are all getting out because electric is coming shows you don’t know many of today’s petrol head buyers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
When it comes to Porsches, do these inflated prices only seem to hold true for the performance versions (911 GT3, Cayman GT4 etc) or does it hold true for their other models?

We might be looking at a Macan in the New Year, be it the newer 2019 car or an older used one.

But the price of a new SQ5 seems similar to that of used ones (via car wow with options) and even the now the discontinued F-Pace V6 S is looking tempting as a used option.

Soldato
Tesla roadster, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds! Does any other road car even come close to that? I'm sure it will sell purely as a show piece for the rich, but there is something very displeasing about electric cars (No noise!).

daz

daz

Soldato
With the sales data coming out from retailers at the moment it's looking like a bleak Christmas. Bets on a Q1 2019 recession?

Soldato
Tesla roadster, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds! Does any other road car even come close to that? I'm sure it will sell purely as a show piece for the rich, but there is something very displeasing about electric cars (No noise!).

If it's anything like the other Teslas, really quick to 60 but can't corner. So a very expensive one trick pony :/

Making a car good at corners is the hard part, especially when it weighs as much as an EV. None of them have been great at it so far.

OcUK Staff
Read this and the impact of GPFs (not sure about the term OPF as first I have read it here)

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-opf-pa...ign=Shmee150&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=network

The OPF is killing any nice, loud and/or high pitched exhaust sounds and are an obstruction for any petrolhead who likes a proper soundtrack or wants to tune their car. Let me explain this with two examples

Interesting stuff and could see the older stuff that sounds good hold or build up in price again. Though also noted smaller manufacturers like Ferrari are not impacted and can be as vocal as they like. :)

Back
Top Bottom