#pergtrip - North Coast 500 + Isle of Skye and Cairngorms

Soldato
You don't "need" a light car Vita! My car is not exactly light, but it does handle well, and was thoroughly enjoyable! I suppose the operative word could be geo. So geo... :p

I assume this was for me not Vita? I said 'right' car! My current choices of a diesel Golf and an old Micra don't really lend themselves to enjoyable driving! Will wait until I get something more spicy to drive and then tackle one of these adventures!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29948707 said:
So close to Glencoe without swinging past :(

Looks like an amazing trip but make sure you fire the trip planner for that hilarious omission :p

Yep, so close, but didn't do the Skyfall scene...

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gl...j9A2gvMwogM1cOGfsey0A&cbp=12,274.6,,0,-11.16#

20140919225944151.jpg_zpsheisdxci.png

(Not my picture).

Soldato
I assume this was for me not Vita? I said 'right' car! My current choices of a diesel Golf and an old Micra don't really lend themselves to enjoyable driving! Will wait until I get something more spicy to drive and then tackle one of these adventures!

Your diesel Golf will have more power and should drive and handle better than mine...

You don't have to do it flat out / fast to enjoy it, a few times we were stuck behind slower vehicles which whilst annoying in some regard did mean we could really take in all the views where if we'd been going faster we'd have been concentrating on driving not the scenery.
I think about 70% of the cars we saw there were new rentals being driven by tourists, generally poverty spec Astras...your Golf would stand up well against them.

Soldato
I followed this on facebook and i can't believe it was kept so quiet, had no idea this was happening until it was happening. I'd have loved to do this with you guys!

Do me a favour, give me a shout next time something like this is happening, i really want to go up there!

Soldato
OP
This wasn't an OcUK meet. We all met through the forum but we've been chatting privately for a few years now and this trip was 2 years in the making. Was hard enough for Bryan organising us loonies let alone anymore :p

This would be great with more people and perhaps we can sort something out but people would need to organise accommodation themselves and we'd just share the route and stick to a schedule.

With more cars we would need to split up down the single track roads as the locals can get frustrated with a load of cars coming past in convoy.

Soldato
Y
Anyway, a few clips:

Rear view of Applecross Pass and how tight it can be if you get a wide load coming the other way:

Just watched all these on the main TV. Looks epic, really need to get myself up to Scotland for a drive one day.

Also, what kind of numpty takes a campervan up a road that small?

Soldato
Just watched all these on the main TV. Looks epic, really need to get myself up to Scotland for a drive one day.

Also, what kind of numpty takes a campervan up a road that small?

Plenty of the roads we went on had signs saying "No Caravans" but technically they didn't state not to take campervans so on roads like that we met plenty of unsuitable vehicles who got irritated with having to pull over for us...some barely pulled in and were barrelling along, utter cretins.

Man of Honour
And BMW X series drivers. One such driver thought it would be fine to pull into the passing lane, then pull out to join the Applecross Pass once I'd come to his nose, yet there were 3 other cars behind me!

Man of Honour
Definitely great food. Even the Mint Leaf in Edinburgh on the last night was great, and that was just an Indian!

Helmsdale was a very picturesque village, some cool history too for a "modern" place.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Great route, great location, great cars

Not jealous at all :p

Great food?

All the food was fantastic apart from one place in Dunvegan which was a bit average.

The stand out meal for me was the Fish and Chips at Kylesku Hotel.

20160823_131912.jpg

With this view outside...

20160823_124657.jpg

http://www.kyleskuhotel.co.uk/

We didn't stay over at the hotel but I think that's going to be on the agenda for next time.

Soldato
Mix of DLSR/Flickr and Phone/OneDrive for my pics.

Day 2:

This was our first full day in Scotland and saw us travel from just North of Inverness on up to Durness via John O' Groats, some fantastic roads and scenery on that leg of the trip.
Our first stop was the Glen Ord Distillery as we'd stayed in Muir of Ord so it made sense, we just had a quick walk around the shop etc. and didn't bother with the tours as none of us drink whisky and obviously were all driving so couldn't / shouldn't drink even if we had done the tours.

y3m2_1SyhXpiJMhpviAIknEPPbmirVgXGwa9WSO2cJPm3WEr_vfmcp4JeQkZ7meR-OLvcJ3KsbPLtlgNNM_eJK7YLpfZVXwrBhPlsCGdcvbhMHcV0Ir0dfKpfkmjKuBugZXonJmyg3AYlf7ID3Hl0Vd5tcRAMRXe5lm9m5AAyxA82Y

After that quick stop we headed on up the coast to Dunrobin Castle which was really cool, fantastic building, views, garden and the falconry was great too!

y3mNkMPHusPl-Su3FMUeS1-dn0SRN5Ox8tURKaeYiPD67FzNDvMi2EGk1OQK9FrLs8YGC3_rRQNUoN0iIUAdSeVTSyYoQ1bVeHG_rjsKGIWukYc7cEHrnfVYgKhUGXu232t20e_ojRUOQfxO3kPuw8Zmw_Px915PZMoikhOL_YjPzs

y3mqb1u9nN6SZNoftGfhHtceBMnjcRV8gYWG0dniNAWvz44nGN2KKaFbRESAvI_P96OPyQn-Lm0mD_JmNHaHJdQuOsApollhTHIdqE3FxtefBoejAk2wctBKuxhV8kYFnF3syz_0xI8lt0WNMl7-MjpXQQEumAsXhV2Ztf4hQGtGWQ

y3mccSmEX19tDE5Oz0KtPe3zjfz_gY0UAuzRnx3NwZ0eRA71fGDKtF7MHGXE7g6Vb3rBWOp11DtSpOXkQ-7prPxuX2LSIFJi5CC7LCNKVJ_2d8ZSBHmNs1uM6O9bFew5yEQCc6HkFDV5OH748yAyhm34pMR6NfEJohzkVbGOr_BTvs

y3mzqLQq7QuP6zgZF3ZqQqk8b6_9mNDiB3loiMr-hsDpWTcGfVZfix5RJwsGEE0MYd5G4J7yqO8kInbijoFguJMpeaLe7Xhuzc36N_osiMNrj8izxgit78bQnTa6sWIQ7lQV1L9WWy4GOiU2OiMhDjdyvQP0tPzBa-hYe132RoKjRM

A little video of 4 of the cars (No Clown as he was filming) passing the camera as we left the castle.

With a castle under our belts we headed on with our travels enjoying the views and slowly making our way as far North as you can on the mainland but first we stopped off in Helmsdale as the sea view looked great which in fact turned out to also have a cool bridge so we got some photos of that too.

y3mwnQ17eXdyg9d_IsjHEcHaqjuhWwTQEfup5yoNi7fic9R_QPQ4h2M75rAXDwamqU78TcFDbGKJWjF8rK7bTmAlxP0-9iem6Cm08BbwRnGlRcEeKiKxGZgEWKKfgIjv1g_IgtUd7zua28YODtLiMb7BAwj3dwaFZVjcegjoVrHHlY

y3mXTBRWp8MJFREwbAhKvLSKGzGIldM2BqI5OciUE7fe1hgR1-EHHQaK-ntc5dtPnzG3ohdhdnViJag_GXKfXr3_7NXGArodiOqxZV3wfn8K_NS8xCddw5ahSzlD0TGPcb-QzhJHwm_g4xN466XmFzGrAAc-fUu2s1q6f0hqrJe6q8

After lots more driving and a couple of other stops we arrived!

y3mYyjvBFqsXXb2XC1Bb5lJm-fqoJbSF4RIHF0ioqMIuUdzJj97WzAxtEbk2ctHdmwDf_oZNzpBcn7OH3bYfV_jpQO0DY793JYUhLYwySCUz0S0KUOEAMYvkCXA7dIuYnKB1iWMVvxf9WKshYLXF7zMcgzKJbBIb_vIYjgSBpPVDjg

We were taking photos of the cars below the sign and got chatting to a biker who said we should just drive up to the sign and take photos as the people there don't mind, unlike at Lands End where they'd had to ask really nicely to get their bikes by the sign. So obviously we put the cars by the sign and got lots of photos.

y3mO89MHmKH35J9mZeiwSG53uVnuQSABZFlTH3ErQ44bWc2a1oZeDpeFEaV5fQzaZpqHvdWgZRloWM4Kgupd0GlyqyVz4JYVseOv2iWrR-O0ntKtTEN0z7o2waQDbOiuMPgxNEjv56NOcRekcjcR-oCNewMcqfblcBaVJ8gi-wnO7E

From John O' Groats we had to then drive on to Durness, via the Y Not Bar & Grill for a fantastic burger.

y3mh1UiV6VCW62U6maiOsyD4YD43UYxPYCNEEGCEG0CpsesZi2ussxbe8uMpj_z-DvtANKMoMKq1QG8C8Tj6Lmb7NN65mePDLD3B6EUqgBT7n2U-hxChXyvLMPkIAhkjWxuuLkTcytgM8uQ9sGG1noE62AFVC0u3SJdTUbIJgu7s5U

We took the A836 West from Thurso and stopped at a parking / viewing spot near an observatory or something for some pics and the views.

Further along the A836 I spotted a modern Clio in my rear view going at some pace, let him pass and he then carried on and took the rest of us and drove the A836 to Tongue really rather well and quickly. I was at the back but could tell he knew the roads when I saw him approaching then he lead the others off at rather a brisk pace, I however didn't want to go flat out and then met the sheep in the video I posted before so dropped right back from everyone.
We saw the Tongue Causeway and decided we had to stop for the view and sunset pics, the Clio carried on but as we were parking up he returned and parked up with us and we had a chat. His car was a Clio 200 and he was a local, saw that the evening weather was nice so decided to go out for a drive, then met us and showed us how to drive the roads. Top bloke and always great to meet people that know the roads and are interested in cars too.

y3mF7Ady7ras0VDpkdC9ObLYVyefhiicPMcUzpuaHU0ftULOcLRwj3me6sjiM4u45dsCoViCnOpT0UpiXWDUYOvw1sTOgQq_UJ0BRyakk9ICOnVdsREmCPHvoAl7PLgTaw5Om-QuvLsHQjg0thzYLDHFKxHGbqQpzqFqI4d6EmUt6I

y3mVydTLfaiGCigZl_U6CG-5RCe4Xj4zyvp0Z_JJWKVqH4m_4-lBBqSJrr6wM2Sg9v1QNOthhnhz4l3ThEj2JejsFqDql21lY26ZFwICPK3MjNFNbe8MqxWV7Kjq9b7luzngcAKaRnSSrq5PKtn80LmvVcBbcc8J_4HGIAvRA8xPwM

y3mZO8LmQWhMxWA4iIu_OIv7VS8pog5z7C5VejdQoVk2WmMZwQ43BH90a_2cXZ6NzPaB050yQJop1-04K1kgQ6JDnT76qrSu0XyLAXeHyaaV47YegTh4mzUhDlqtby3D5GUE0sekDGcfnJDCSQ1oq0zoObTs47lcJuTjqRE4YzX0PM

Once in Durness it was a case of chilling out for a couple hours then bed, all of this was our longest full day in Scotland with us covering 190 miles over upwards of 7 hours engine running time (thanks MFA :D ).

Soldato
Stunning pictures.

Rogue sheep can be fun, almost hit a couple last weekend up near the Lecht.

Some of the best views in the UK. Though I'm a bit biased as I spend most of my spare time in the highlands :D

No pics of Eilean Donan?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just come back from a week of climbing/biking/diving up there. Stayed a mate's house in Kinlochbervie. Beautiful, stunning place. we were lucky with the weather, but amazing. Still amazed by how clear the sea was.

The road from Durness to Ullapool is just stunning

Back
Top Bottom