** PHANTEKS EVOLV SHIFT-X & SHIFT - GET SHIFTY **

Soldato
Nice. Some pics would be great, interested to see what your build looks like.

I've got it built, finally, PSU (Silverstone L I think) size problems and some other issues meant it was a loooooooooooooooooong build. It looks great however.

I've posted some pics below, it really has no depth or width at all, well it at least feels that way. It's next to a 32" HP Envy Beats Monitor, so you have an idea of the height etc.

Definitely happy with it and have 2xSSD's and an HDD in there now which is where I struggled with the Sugo.

20170906_224348.jpg

20170906_224510.jpg
20170906_224541.jpg

kYtiJa

Last edited:
Associate
Looks really nice. Your right about the depth, it's not until you see it next to a setup that you notice how little room it takes.

Just needs a RGB strip installed, no point having a window if you're not going to go all bling. :p

Soldato
Looks really nice. Your right about the depth, it's not until you see it next to a setup that you notice how little room it takes.

Just needs a RGB strip installed, no point having a window if you're not going to go all bling. :p

Indeed there is not, I'm going to have to revisit the idea as I bought some Phanteks strips but because I have an older ITX Board it doesn't have the RGB header required to use them so will pick up some different ones :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Indeed there is not, I'm going to have to revisit the idea as I bought some Phanteks strips but because I have an older ITX Board it doesn't have the RGB header required to use them so will pick up some different ones :)

There is an RGB control button on the chassis itself. You won't get the depth of control that you do using Asus Aura etc, but it's still good enough for most :)

Soldato
There is an RGB control button on the chassis itself. You won't get the depth of control that you do using Asus Aura etc, but it's still good enough for most :)

What I've realised is that there is a connecter in the case for one of the Phanteks strips, I just hadn't powered the top part due to running out of Sata Power Connections to my PSU.

Will pick up a convertor today and I should be good to go :) Will update later tonight if successful.

Last edited:
Associate
Very close to clicking on the buy button now, but I just need confirmation on whether this case going to be able to fit a NZXT Kraken x42 fitted to the bottom of the case? I'm getting a incompatibility flag on the picker site yet I thought a single 140mm rad was supported.

Soldato
Looking good!
I'll tell you what though, the Silverstone SFX L series of PSU are a nightmare to fit in this thing...

Basically with the cables connected they essentially hit right against the cable management tray meaning you can't feed the cables through as desired.

I had to work some through the rear of the case and back through the cable management tray which has made it slightly untidy unfortunately, but happy enough with the build still.

Word of warning for anyone who is building with that PSU.

Associate
I'll tell you what though, the Silverstone SFX L series of PSU are a nightmare to fit in this thing...

Basically with the cables connected they essentially hit right against the cable management tray meaning you can't feed the cables through as desired.

I had to work some through the rear of the case and back through the cable management tray which has made it slightly untidy unfortunately, but happy enough with the build still.

Word of warning for anyone who is building with that PSU.

I read this on a Swedish review site this morning, they warned to stay away SFX L for exactly your reason it's a very tight fit.

Associate
fGTCYoC

uJ59MpK

VaBNzm3

2IW2PDm

bOCoWeF
Build in Progress - awaiting of a few parts to complete - Plus a few issues with the case. Also a few questions (In Bold) if you could help me out with my choices.

fGTCYoCl.jpg
[/IMG]

First off I'll list the current build parts. These are
  • Ryzen 1700x
  • Asrock MB (Has 3 fan headers - so I cut off the fan header attached to the cooling block [This was spare cabling])
  • Cosair H80v2 - Fans plugged directly into the MB. The supplied Cosair Link USB 2 cable pushes against the to RAM slot.
  • NZXT AM4 mount (Using this as it is black - Cosair version is dark Grey) with the Grey mounting screws supplied with the cooler.
  • Silverstone SFX-L PSU - I've subsequently peeled off the labels.
  • 950GTX (My spare card) -Sold my 1060
  • **** bronw Noctua fans and one Deep Silent 3pin (1000rpm) fan. I had these spare.
Parts I'm going to order:
  • Asus 1080 Turbo or a founders edition card- I've measured it, and they just fit with the top fan on the AIO
  • Either Black or Grey Noctua fans. - What would you choose?
  • A new USB 2 cable (for Cosair Link) that can plug into the AIO pump - Any recommendations?
  • Some decals/ vinyl to cover the silver MB IO (peeled off the sh*tty stickers). Thinking either black or red?
My issues with the case are as follows:

1. As mentioned in a previous post, there's barely enough space for passing the cables through if using a SFX-L PSU. The case could do with being about an inch taller, to help solve this.

2. The 3.0 case header cable is too large and it can't be hidden behind the cable management tray.

3. The fan supplied is only a 3 pin and spins at 1500 rpm.

4. But the biggest problem is the design of the top fan mount.Even with my Deep Silent fan exhausting air, the front panel doesn't have enough venting holes. Therefore the exhausted air bounces back into the fan and case. This causes reverberation within the fan, so the fan becomes loud (creates more of an annoying sound tbf) even at 1000 rpm. The problem only goes away when you drop the fan speed to 600ish rpm. I then decided to have the fan intake air in order to solve the issue. But there's another problem. The honeycomb venting pattern also disturbs the air, thus increasing noise, just like having the fan exhaust. Tried used the included case fan, the same issue. I will have to mod the case by cutting the honeycomb design off, and have the fan as an intake. This won't be any issue if you have the case a fairly noisy environment, but i want my pc to stay silent(ish) when just doing day to day tasks.

At the moment the a 7/10 for the case, but some design changes are needed.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom