Phillips BDM4350UC 43"

Associate
Mine is being delivered tomorrow, will post some screenshots then and a more detailed comparison between it at the 4065 the day after (when I build my new desk and have space to put them both) :)

Soldato
I am currently reviewing this model, but have come across a potentially serious frame skipping issue. When your unit arrives, El Muerko, could you run this test http://testufo.com/#test=framerates? The movement should be smooth and consistent, but instead it appears to jump or judder every few seconds as frames are skipped. This seems to occur regardless of refresh rate or input used.

Note that the monitor comes with DP 1.1/HDMI 1.4 as standard and set to 30Hz. You'll want to change the relevant setting in the OSD and also set it to 60Hz in Windows. I'm working with Philips to see whether they can replicate this issue, but it would be nice if you could confirm it as well.

Associate
I am currently reviewing this model, but have come across a potentially serious frame skipping issue. When your unit arrives, El Muerko, could you run this test http://testufo.com/#test=framerates? The movement should be smooth and consistent, but instead it appears to jump or judder every few seconds as frames are skipped. This seems to occur regardless of refresh rate or input used.

Note that the monitor comes with DP 1.1/HDMI 1.4 as standard and set to 30Hz. You'll want to change the relevant setting in the OSD and also set it to 60Hz in Windows. I'm working with Philips to see whether they can replicate this issue, but it would be nice if you could confirm it as well.

mine hasnt arrived yet but I will do

[edit]

it'll have to wait till tomorrow because the delivery driver is obviously a post-op lobotomy patient.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My Philips has the same frame skipping issue, never noticed it outwith that test though.

I can't imagine having a 43" monitor sat on my desk infront of me though, it's just too big lol, maybe 43" 21:9 would be nice though.

Although I've only tried it using Internet Explorer, maybe another browser would give different results?

Last edited:
Soldato
My Philips has the same frame skipping issue, never noticed it outwith that test though.

I can't imagine having a 43" monitor sat on my desk infront of me though, it's just too big lol, maybe 43" 21:9 would be nice though.

Although I've only tried it using Internet Explorer, maybe another browser would give different results?

I'd recommend using Chrome, although IE should work all the same really. It's obvious to me in-game if the frame rate is locked at 60fps, but less so if the frame rate drops and therefore there is stuttering or juddering anyway. Sensitivity to this sort of thing varies so not everyone would notice this, but from Philips' response so far it isn't the intended behaviour.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My games are fine, Assassins creed, Street fighter all with vsync on capped at 60fps. If there were frame skipping in Street Fighter you would know about it as your combos wouldn't come out?

Soldato
My games are fine, Assassins creed, Street fighter all with vsync on capped at 60fps. If there were frame skipping in Street Fighter you would know about it as your combos wouldn't come out?

No, the effect isn't that severe. It seems to skip one frame every 3 seconds. It causes a very brief judder but it wouldn't interfere with your character control in that way.

Associate
No, the effect isn't that severe. It seems to skip one frame every 3 seconds. It causes a very brief judder but it wouldn't interfere with your character control in that way.

I am experiencing the same judder.

[edit]

Sorry, I've had a very busy day today and the monitor was delivered just before six so I've done only the most rudimentary testing with the monitor. The website PCM2 linked does jerk every couple of seconds, but in gameplay I cannot notice it. I've ran the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark and glued my eyes to the screen, if it's skipping a frame or dropping to 59hz for a frame or doing something else its not noticeable to my eye. I've also watched some netflix and it seems fine. I think I'll leave any more investigation to the pros :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I am experiencing the same judder.

[edit]

Sorry, I've had a very busy day today and the monitor was delivered just before six so I've done only the most rudimentary testing with the monitor. The website PCM2 linked does jerk every couple of seconds, but in gameplay I cannot notice it. I've ran the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark and glued my eyes to the screen, if it's skipping a frame or dropping to 59hz for a frame or doing something else its not noticeable to my eye. I've also watched some netflix and it seems fine. I think I'll leave any more investigation to the pros :)

Thanks for confirming. Sounds like yours is skipping the occasional frame (they all do, most likely) but that it isn't affecting your normal usage, which is good. So I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Soldato
Here are a couple of side by side images of the two monitors.
OK, do you know of the (spoiler tag). To hide extremely big images?

Anyways, back to my thought this morning. If people want a monitor this size, and want to game, without going Xfire Fury or SLI 980/ti.

Could you not set up a custom 21:9 resolution of 3840 x 1646. I'm guessing it would physically look similar to 34" 21:9?

Last edited:
Soldato
the left monitor looks better

No, it looks more heavily saturated. I can see the difference whilst viewing that comparison... On a Philips BDM4350UC! Also note differences in saturation when comparing the top photograph to the bottom, on the BDM4065UC (left monitor). That is due to viewing angle weaknesses, which is a real strength of the newer IPS model.

Last edited:
Associate
the left has been calibrated and has less sunlight on it also, this was more to compare size

something to note for readers, the extra three inches bring the PPI down from 111 to 103, 103 is the pixel density of a 30" 2560*1600 monitor, it makes reading easier, 43" is definitely a sweet spot for 4k native monitor use

Back
Top Bottom