• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PhysX launched today.

Associate
If 512mb's were happening anytime this year we'd at least have a few morsels of info by now. I think for the most part, the 256mb is the interest for the definate buyers, at least for 2006.

Associate
I dont see why everyone is moaning about the price. As soon as a new GFX card comes out people go off and buy them at £499 a pop knowing well and truely they will reduce in price over a month or so. The same will apply to this. Dont see why its any different tbh.

King.

Caporegime
King_Boru said:
I dont see why everyone is moaning about the price. As soon as a new GFX card comes out people go off and buy them at £499 a pop knowing well and truely they will reduce in price over a month or so. The same will apply to this. Dont see why its any different tbh.

King.
Because you have to be mad/rich to buy one of these when there arent gonna be games for it for at least 1/2months. At least with the latest GFX card you can see the improvement straight away with existing games...

Can someone who wants one right now explain to me why they arent going to wait until a game supports them? - have I missed something :confused: - is there some kinda benchmark you can play in the mean time? PhysXMark?!?

How much better will a game be with it - Ive seen the comparisons and I have to be honest if I didnt see them side by side I really wouldnt have giving 2 hoots about the difference...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
spookywillow said:
there are games that support them out now, read the last page ;)
I did - none of them are out yet in the UK it seems :p

EDIT: My bad - just noticed CoV - didnt think they were patching existing games with the tech?!?

Last edited:
Associate
ps3ud0 said:
Because you have to be mad/rich to buy one of these when there arent gonna be games for it for at least 1/2months. At least with the latest GFX card you can see the improvement straight away with existing games...

Can someone who wants one right now explain to me why they arent going to wait until a game supports them? - have I missed something :confused: - is there some kinda benchmark you can play in the mean time? PhysXMark?!?

How much better will a game be with it - Ive seen the comparisons and I have to be honest if I didnt see them side by side I really wouldnt have giving 2 hoots about the difference...

reviews next month,

in case this Card increases the fps by at least %20-%50, I m buying one.

I was hoping for a price of £120... hmm I should give it sometime until summer for the price to go down a bit

Soldato
Copyed and pasted from physx.ageia.com..

How much does AGEIA PhysX cost?
PhysX accelerators are very affordable with an MSRP of $299

$299 Very affordable....yer right..

Permabanned
The reason there is no 512mb one is because there is no need. Graphics cards need loads of memory for storing large texture files for quick lookup but, just like sound cards, I doubt the memory will have a large impact on speed in Physics cards. I can well see the 128mb ones being as quick as the 256mb ones clock for clock too... Since there shouldn't be that much information to store, the raw data alone shouldn't amount to anything like the textures in a graphics card memory subsystem...

Associate
ps3ud0 said:

ok,.... so when nvidia were ranting and raving about how much better a SM3.0 card would be over an SM2.0 card everyone went out and actually bought one yet only a handfull of games supported it....

same situation, so why treat this differently?

Soldato
There's erm currently no games for this card... And the difference is SM3 was bound to happen eventually so you were future proofing yourself somewhat, where this could flop. And also your SM3 card could play all those sm2 games just nice, where this will be sitting in your system, picking its nose, getting bored.

Caporegime
King_Boru said:
ok,.... so when nvidia were ranting and raving about how much better a SM3.0 card would be over an SM2.0 card everyone went out and actually bought one yet only a handfull of games supported it....

same situation, so why treat this differently?
Im pretty sure a lot of non-SM3.0 cards still sold by the bucket load even when nVidia were marketing how useful SM3.0 was and there were a lot of people on this very forum (me included) debating how useful SM3.0 was at the time considering there were relatively no games for it, indeed the amount of games only significantly increased once the second wave of SM3.0 capable cards hit retail...

Considering there are none (perhaps 1 via patch it seems) for the Physx card, I think the arguement in buying one is even weaker if we use your comparison at face value at this time...

Last edited:
Permabanned
SM3 never was and never will be a very big technology, the advantages over sm2b are, erm, tiny - really, really tiny.

Anyway. These will catch on because the flexiblity it gives games designers is so much deeper than anything that they are used to that we are bound to see some very intelligent use of this technology, and not just for "destructable trucks"

This will make games far more realistic feeling than anything the graphics market will pull out in the next few years...

e.g. No line of sight as a sniper, whip out your rocket launcher and make one... lol :p

Back
Top Bottom