• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PhysX launched today.

Associate
Look forward to reading this discussion in 18 months time when all major game titles are using a dedicated physics board. Can point a laugh.

But then again, I could be pointing and laughing at myself. ;)

King.

Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
Considering there are none (perhaps 1 via patch it seems) for the Physx card
If that is true, then that is good news.
I would have thought it would have required it too been written with the card very much in mind - but if they can patch it, we might see a lot more games shraptastic :p

Caporegime
Goksly said:
If that is true, then that is good news.
I would have thought it would have required it too been written with the card very much in mind - but if they can patch it, we might see a lot more games shraptastic :p
Well the official website lists City of Villains as one of the titles - as far as I know thats been out for ages, so unless they release a new version with Physx compatibility I cant see how else it would work without a complex patch...

And if thats the case why arent other existing games getting on the bandwagon? - I guess the majority of developers dont think its worth their time, especially with games that have had their product lifecycle - I guess most MMOs are exempt from such issues and so there is some value in improving them way after they initially come out...

King_Boru said:
Look forward to reading this discussion in 18 months time when all major game titles are using a dedicated physics board. Can point a laugh.

But then again, I could be pointing and laughing at myself. ;)

King.
Ill make sure you get nominated for the Nobel Prize in Physics :p ;)

Having a dedicated physics card will always be an option rather than a neccesity considering the vast minority of gamers that will have it, developers/publishers cant afford to alienate potential customers - once they are integrated in the GFX (probably have a core dedicated to physics) is when we will really see how useful physics could be - I still debate how accurate the representation needs to be to fool the average gamer...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Permabanned
I play City of villians and they are on the ball in the graphics and patching department. They were quick to release a dual core patch and it already stress's my system more than oblivion.

A patch for Physx details may already be loaded but without the card then who knows.

Soldato
I would imagine that any game using a 3rd party physics engine (like Havok) could easily be patched to re-direct all the object/ragdoll physics calculations to a physx card.
Maybe Valve could release another techdemo add-on for HL2, with buildings made from individual bricks? That might sell a few cards. :)

Mav

Mav

Associate
Hi all..

After seeing the GR:AW demo which i`am waiting for anyways :D

http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html

I think this is the killer app that it`ll sell the card for me ..

But as most ppl have pointed out already there`s no PCi-e version onsale yet
:( an seeing as i`ve used all my PCI slots up on my ASUS A8N-E Mb i`ll have to wait an c .. " SCSI card , NIC, SB Xi-Fi "
All i have left are the Smaller PCI-e x1/x4 slots

Also ain`t ASUS suppose to be releasing a physx card aswell ??

anyone got any info on when, an if it`s gonna be the PCI-e version ??

n3x

n3x

Associate
http://personal.inet.fi/atk/kjh2348fs/ageia_physx.html <--info there

Graw wont sell it to me im afraid. I will get one but only when games truely take advantage of it

Sir Random said:
Maybe Valve could release another techdemo add-on for HL2, with buildings made from individual bricks? That might sell a few cards.

buildings made from individual bricks... thats the kinda thing im looking for :)

Capt Doufos said:
Surely having individual bricks, would increase the polygon count and therefore put a much larger strain on the graphics card?

it could well do, tbh I think we're going round in circles on this one, people are saying that a physics card will not increase your fps but i'm not so sure, GRAW is apparently having low/med/high + hardware option for physics, now say you have two systems, one running the game with no ppu and physics set to high and then compare that to a system running the game with a ppu and physics option set to hardware, then surely you will have better fps and effects ?

Last edited:
Associate
When i was speccing my new PC i did give some serious thought to getting one of these. In the end i decided it all still seemed a bit sketchy as to whether it would take off or not. If it looks like more games are going to start using it then i will definatly get one. Personally i think its an amazing peice of technology and really does open up a lot of possibilities but tbh i think unless they can produce this at a cost that is appealing to the mass market (or unless there are some amazing games that use it which many people will want) its not going to go anywhere.

Permabanned
When UT2007 comes out I will get one. And LineageIII is using the UT2007 engine (not that it will be out for 2 years or most of you care :) )

Associate
Personnally, why do i see something happening that everyone will buy one of these physx cards and top of the range graphics, then out of nowhere both will be intergrated into one card. Chances are this will never happen though.

Another way to extend you epenis!!

Soldato
Lanz said:
Congratulations....

on buying a card that is gonna sit in your pc gathering dust for the next couple of months.

i like the idea of the card and will probably get one once a couple of titles i like are on the market - i really don't see the point in actually buying one yet though, esp as they will only get cheaper over the next few months. i know COV is supposed to be supported but I don't think the game has been patched yet has it?

Associate
lowrider007 said:

yay it's been shipped \0/............................................booooooooo I don't have any software to try on it :(, on the retail version it said that there was a demo disk supplied with the card, I guess as mine is oem I won't get that disk then ?

lol, that sounds like £200 well spent :p

Soldato
I'll be getting one but only when I buy a game that supports it. Also I use a SFF system at the moment so I have no room.

Is it worth going back to a full / sugo sized system to get one of these? Note that I'd probably get a sound card as well if I did. I am quite mobile with my computer, I take it to an event around once a month.

Back
Top Bottom