• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PhysX launched today.

Associate
sja360 said:
iirc i saw a pci and pci-e versions with the pci-e being the "higher end" card.

I've actually seen a one card solution where the PCI slot is situated in the normal place and a PCI-E 1x on top of the card. Would be a more viable solution and offer a good 'upgrade' path. Ill try and find a piccy.

EDIT: Chances are I am actually wrong but it does look like you can swing the card around for a PCI-E 1x config;

0,1425,sz=1&i=97971,00.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The following is take from an new firingsquad article, and i think its pretty spot on:

"The bottom line is that it’s too soon to come to any definitive conclusions on either technology. There’s no denying the potential cost advantage of the GPU-based approach if the performance impact isn’t too significant. In this regard I really do think that AGEIA may be out of touch with the market. From the outside looking in, it really does seem to me that AGEIA’s based their entire approach around 3dfx’s original Voodoo Graphics accelerator. There’s nothing wrong with that, as the Voodoo Graphics was the pioneer of an entirely new industry. And while it’s true that Voodoo Graphics initially launched at $300, it was a niche product at that price point. Personally, I gladly paid $300 for my Diamond Monster 3D when it first came out, but Voodoo Graphics didn’t really take off until:

Memory prices came down. Remember that the original Voodoo Graphics required 4MB of memory

Additional board partners came onboard. 3dfx initially launched with only two board partners, Orchid and Diamond Multimedia

GL Quake. Before GL Quake debuted, there were only a handful of titles with 3dfx support. Most notable of them was Tomb Raider. Once id finally released GL Quake, 3dfx finally had a killer app that was relevant among the hardcore crowd: I was the buzz of my college dorm once I booted up GL Quake for the first time. Everyone who was into PC gaming dropped by for at least one demonstration. GL Quake looked better than VQuake too, and thus 3dfx’s Voodoo 1 was a more justifiable purchase (remember that 3dfx’s card sold for considerably more than Rendition’s).

In my opinion, AGEIA needs all of this to happen for them in order for PhysX to really take off. They need more board partners so that prices can come down, and just as importantly, they need a killer app that will drive hardware sales. This killer app not only needs to deliver better performance, but more immersive gameplay as well. 3dfx managed to pull all this off with Voodoo Graphics, AGEIA will needs to pull it off also in order to be successful, especially now that larger players like ATI and NVIDIA are now essentially getting into the physics business. And with ATI and NVIDIA constantly delivering new GPUs, AGEIA’s going to have to remain on their toes for the foreseeable future.

3dfx didn’t run into this problem until much later down the road, and we all saw what ultimately happened to them once they faced it."

Soldato
I think they have their killer app in the form of UT2007 - problem is, it is not due for release for some time. It's a pretty prolific license as well, so everything based on their engine will also support PhysX.

GRAW in the meantime is due for release very soon and whilst maybe not in the killer app league will certainly help tie them over.

I agree the price should come down though. If they could get it under £100 I think they would have a killer product on their hands.

Soldato
Trouble is Nvidia and ATI are doing the same thing using SM3.0. And millions of people already have these inside their PCs.

For people with SLI/Crossfire, when you upgrade, you could maybe leave your old 7800GT/X1800 in there to do physics and play games with your new X2300 or GF 8900 (or whatever) It would essentially add value to older cards that can be used just for physics.

Its all very interesting, but I really dont think PhyxX has much of a chance now that NV and ATI have their fingers in the pie.

Soldato
I would agree with you but for this quote,

"So, the SLI physics engine can make water fall, ripples move, and rocks from the exploding cliff wall bounce off each other in a way that would be damn near impossible to do on a CPU. It can't however make those things interact with your player, the ripples may look like they are washing over your legs, and the rocks bounce off your shins, but it won't cause in game collisions.

The Ageia way of doing things is the 'real deal', it can make things bounce, cars crash, and have the game work with it. The gravity of the asteroid can pull your ship off course at a critical time just before the warp jump in ways that SLI physics, in V1.0 at least, can't."
===

Plus, people who can afford high end SLI/X-Fire systems obviously want the best. With their systems already straining under the weight of 1920x1200 and above, the last thing they will want to do is give up an entire card to physics.

n3x

n3x

Associate
erm im sure these cards arnt gonna cost as much as a high end gpu either? looks like about £150 at the moment but who knows i guess.

That cellfactor video looks awesome!

Associate
I noticed that on the Alienware site when building a rig if you slap in two 7900GTX's SLI, it states the PPU will not have enough space to fit in?

Will that mean (when I buy mine today) that I wont be able to squeeze in a PPU if I buy a SLI 7900GTXs x 2 (I wont be buying from Alien btw just using there info).

f so ill wait till the next line of GPUs are out and can squeeze in both SLIs and a PPU! Anyone got any info on this?

Soldato
I've been looking forward to these hiting the market, this has the potential to take gaming to a whole new level, however the price of the cards will be a big factor in my descision on getting one.

Associate
just wondering, when ya load up 3dmark06 it does say this on load up screen, would this in theory help scores, i know we dont build PC to bench all day normally, but if i gained a lot more marks then the benchers would by it

Soldato
some info about BFG's card here
http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm

the specs of it are :
Processor: AGEIA PhysX
Memory Interface: 128-bit GDDR3
Memory Capacity: 128MB
Peak Instruction Bandwidth: 20 Billion/sec
Sphere-Sphere Collisions: 530 Million/sec max
Convex-Convex (Complex Collisions): 533,000/sec max
and the games list :
20 Game Titles Announced for AGEIA PhysX in 2006:

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport
Cell Factor
City of Villains
Unreal Tournament 2007
Gunship Apocalypse
Sacred II
Loki
Dogtag
Fallen Earth
Crazy Machines 2
Arena Online
Diabolique
Warhammer MMORPG
Eye of the Storm
Alpha Prime

Last edited:
Soldato
That cellfactor video blew me away, i just sat there with my jaw open.

Really interested in these cards,

Awesome if can be flipped over for pci-e 1x, or even a bridge connection, sli style physx cards anyone? :/

Soldato
Did u see the release date: Q4 2007, so that's like 18 months away. I would hope all new games look like that in 18 months tbh.

Back
Top Bottom