• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PhysX launched today.

Man of Honour
thats rubbish surely?

as i thought the whole point of the PhysX card was it was completely independant from the gpu unlike nvidias offering.

Sure if you got sli you an have all the fancy graphics up as well as the ppu calculations, but having less graphics power wont take any of the physics calculations processing power off the ppu

Soldato
I think it looks very good. Would be nice to see flying debris actually take some of your hp away. Lets face it if a brick comes flying at you from a blast its going to hurt or kill.

Soldato
Steedie said:
thats rubbish surely?

as i thought the whole point of the PhysX card was it was completely independant from the gpu unlike nvidias offering.

Sure if you got sli you an have all the fancy graphics up as well as the ppu calculations, but having less graphics power wont take any of the physics calculations processing power off the ppu

bit tech said:
"We drive sales of high-end hardware," Andy Hess, Director of Content Acquistion for AGEIA told us. "When you have a PhysX processor in your system, you've gotta have that SLI. You've gotta have both graphics cards to handle the amount of data that we send out. We keep those guys really busy."

Think about it - the resulting explosions will be messier and bigger with extra bits coming across the screen from all sorts of places (chances are if you don't have a PPU it will just default to a mode where things dont explode so well). Now the PPU tells the GPU where those bits are, but the GPU still needs to render them - where they didn't exist before.

fini

Associate
Anyone manage to find out when we will actually see these cards for sale??? going by the thread title I thought they were out, nowhere has any release dates or availability of yet :confused:

Associate
I would have prefered this if it had been done on the graphics card, rather than a seperate one. I have 2 1900's in crossfire, trouble is that there will be no spare pci-e slots. The dual cards take up the space required for the extra slot. Which means buying the PCI version, don't know how much extra performance the pci-e version will provide in comparison.......

Those demos do look nice though, graphically they're no different from what's going on already, but the extra physics add more wow factor.

I think ATI's solution is more ideal for those with single cards at the moment, as you just add in a new high end card, using the old one for physics. Those of us who have crossfire will either sell both cards and buy 2 new ones, or have to sell one.

As long as the titles keep coming I'm sure there will be a market for physx, consumers are more willing than ever to spend on graphics solutions.

Associate
Personally i'm quietly looking forward to these cards. A separate card for physics seems a good idea, but only with the right software behind it. I know ATI and Nvidia are pushing the GPUs ability to do physics calculations, but this is an even worse situation than keeping physics on the CPU. I for one would like to see my new graphics card getting me the highest FPS possible, not attempting a job its not designed for at the expense of performance.

I see these cards going down the route of sound cards, an optional extra. If you want all the extra realism and effects, buy an add on card, if not stick with onboard (the CPU in this case).

As long as they get the price right (i.e. similar to soundcard pricing, about £60-70) and the games titles to back it up (crysis would have me sold) i'll be picking one up.

Associate
It'd be great if i could use my spare 6800 for physics while my current card did the Graphics stuff, unfortunately current card is ATI but hopefully someone will find a way of getting around it :)

Back
Top Bottom