Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

Hi all.

Hope you all had a good Xmas. Been thinking about buying myself a new present for spare room /office and need a desk setup.

Where is the best cheapest place to pick up a solid wood top in any sales? (hoping to eventually have something like this) with some draw units I can buy seperatly.

I'm.going to have a scout around tomorrow to see if there are any deals about.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1461924

Hi all.

Hope you all had a good Xmas. Been thinking about buying myself a new present for spare room /office and need a desk setup.

Where is the best cheapest place to pick up a solid wood top in any sales? (hoping to eventually have something like this) with some draw units I can buy seperatly.

I'm.going to have a scout around tomorrow to see if there are any deals about.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=207&t=1461924

I used Worktop Express for mine, got a 2.8m desk if I remember correctly. Can't really see the desktop at the minute so no point in showing a picture what it looks like now, but had some pics in here (under spoilers)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/custom-worktop-desk.18775992/page-2

Can't fault the quality of the oak, it's still like the day I got it, really solid and good quality.

Mine doesn't need to be that big. Looking at it it seems a really heavy wood. But I do like the look. I'll have to get measurements on its length tomorrow .

Cool seen the pictures, I may have a darker oak and the top would be sat across draws each side

Some extra furniture and hardware (and extra junk being stored)...

Desk.jpg

without trailing through nearly 500 pages :p does anyone have a desk not on a wall? and do you use anything to hide the back of the desk so it looks neat?

moving house soon and getting an office, want to put a 55" tv on the wall with the pc facing it to watch but it will be way to close if the desk is against the wall.

I did, twice but I don't have pics. In an old house I had my desk against the back of the TV unit and TV, which kind of split the room in two.

At another large open plan apartment I had it against the back of the sofa so I could see the TV also. That was in a massive apartment though, there's pics of that room on here but not that setup. I think it only worked due to the style of the room.

Edit: found a pic from an old thread
Images of items I have purchased.
My desk was at the back of the sofa. Was tidier than it sounds.

Last edited:
IwfcXN5.jpg

New desk in new study in new house!

Need me another monitor, but happy with the setup so far. Loving the keyboard/mouse combo and the fact that I only need one of each to control my desktop, server and work laptop :)

Hi guys, I’m new here and need some help with my new setup which has to go in a specific space. Hopefully this is the right thread and any help much appreciated!

I have 120cm width to play with and ideally want a desk with 60-70mm depth.

I have dual Benq 22’ monitors which will sit on a Duronic dual monitor clamp in the centre of the desk.

I am thinking a Karlby Ikea (or similar) worktop cut to size with either 4 legs or Alex drawers one side and legs on the other.

Question is will the Karlby (cut to 120cm width) sag with the 4 leg / 2 leg and Alex drawers set up? I’ve read a few posts and YouTube and can’t find any with dual monitors a clamp arm in the centre that’s all. I’m guessing not due to the relative small size of the desk?

(4 leg setup would be my preference as I need a printer for work to sit somewhere as well and although the drawers would be useful they take up a bit of space)

In regards to the sag however would I be better getting a solid oak worktop?

Additionally Ikea are making me wait 4 weeks to have a piece cut to size which is looooong.

I don’t have the tools to cut it myself although not adverse to doing it but trying not to buy too much. B&Q will only cut their own wood apparently does anyone know where else I can get it done?

Or does anyone know an alternative setup to the Karlby which is solid and in the 120x60-70 range? Ikea seems to be the only place I can find reasonably priced countertops.

I’ve been to Ikea today and didn’t bite the bullet due to the questions above and being a bit of a n00b. This is stressing me out big time so any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi guys, I’m new here and need some help with my new setup which has to go in a specific space. Hopefully this is the right thread and any help much appreciated!
Cheers!
Hi Jemmers You might get more help in this subforum https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/home-and-garden.151/ There are probably many threads in there that might answer similar questions already if you want to look through the years of posts.

Its fairly friendly in there so post your post there and Im sure you will get some help.

Or does anyone know an alternative setup to the Karlby which is solid and in the 120x60-70 range? Ikea seems to be the only place I can find reasonably priced countertops.

I’ve been to Ikea today and didn’t bite the bullet due to the questions above and being a bit of a n00b. This is stressing me out big time so any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers!

www.worktop-express.co.uk have heard these mentioned a few times on the forums they supply and cut too size solid oak worktops ect..

Need a new desk now. Will be shopping for one once the building work is done.

alienware_monitor.jpg

Desk update time.

I've recently bought a sit/stand desk from Ikea to replace my other desk, it's the hand crank one. I also bought the active sit/stand stool from Ikea - the idea is that I won't be lowering the desk and just using the stool to rest my legs. I've been using this setup for over a month and really enjoy it. The main driver behind the move is I've always had poor seated posture, and also sitting causes problems with my leg mobility/flexibility which is no good for the gym.

I sold my gaming PC back in October and have been using my work laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad 13 - i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, 13" 1080p screen) as a temporary setup. I'm still undecided if I'll be getting a Apple desktop or another custom build PC later in the year when new hardware drops.

Here's a photo, taken on my phone due to not having a wide enough lens on my Fuji to get everything in. My office is smaller due to the loft conversion as we had to use some space to fit the new stairs. The desk is 160cm wide and it just fits, it was a challenge to build it in the space for sure.

I need a find a decent way of routing the extension lead that I have under the desk in the cable tidy, that will come later when I do some more work on the setup.

desk_setup_jan2019_web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom