Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

Soldato
Do you guys think 28mm is thick enough for a worktop to become a desk.

Seen a 2.4m worktop at B&Q for my budget but its 28mm. I've only got one screen an AOC 34" ultrawide. I want to use the usual Alex drawers from IKEA on either end. Will it need another leg in middle to hold the weights?

My desk is 20mm thick and has four monitors on it and no problems. Although it's not a desk supported by two drawers though. Also, instead of using a leg as support in the middle you could use a couple 4x4 or similar across the two drawers and then have the worktop rest along those, that way you wont be getting any 'slack' in the middle if you worried about weight ?

Associate
I miss my desk. Abandoned so daughter could have a bedroom. PC migrates between the living room TV and the dining room where I have a 15" usb monitor.

Soldato
I can finally share a desk in this thread! Nice spanking new standing desk :)

F0-A33-F33-7-A79-438-E-A897-EAC0-AE3-D33-CF.jpg

Soldato
Built a cupboard and changed the colour. Also ditched the cheap Amazon lamp and went for some old LED strip lighting I had nearby. Now of course I need the inevitable keyboard swap as I went for one without RGB :rolleyes:

ZYu4yZr.jpg

44cxBsk.jpg

Soldato
My whole place seems to be Ikea, it is that or heavy traditional Greek style - and still a 4 hour round trip to the store!

Indeed, my setup of Alex drawers and Karlby top may be clichéd but there's no denying that it provides excellent desk space. How is the chair for comfort over time? Looking to pick it up when it comes back into stock, only a two hour round trip for me.

Associate
Indeed, my setup of Alex drawers and Karlby top may be clichéd but there's no denying that it provides excellent desk space. How is the chair for comfort over time? Looking to pick it up when it comes back into stock, only a two hour round trip for me.
To be honest the chair is more appearance over comfort, but I have got used to it, it is a little ‘square’ in the seat / back and the back for me is not high enough, but I have got used to it and it is not uncomfortable, but I would also not describe it as a chair to relax in.

Soldato
Decided to move the bulky laser printer to behind where I sit and then got a £9 laptop stand to hold my laptop that was sat underneath the monitor which was on a stand. Feels cleaner that's for sure. Also the PC under the desk is now sat atop the monitor stand so it is less blocked by carpet. Cables are a mess though and always will be. Too many to sort out nicely.

Back
Top Bottom