Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

Soldato
The new OLED and arm have arrived!
IMG_9295.jpg

Soldato
You guys make me so envious with your cable management..... !

Do you mind showing a photo of underneath so I can see how you've done it??
The forbidden question :eek:

:D

lol it's almost embarrassing, a peek behind the curtain as it were.

I used to use the wire tray for wires but tidied it even more recently so it is mostly unused now, mainly docks/chargers sit on it when I have a laptop/switch hooked up.
IMG20220622130432.jpg

I use a lot of these cable tie things that hold a good chunk of wires:
IMG20220622130517.jpg

The new Dell arm is really easy to cable manage too:
IMG20220621194402.jpg

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
lol it's almost embarrassing, a peek behind the curtain as it were.

I used to use the wire tray for wires but tidied it even more recently so it is mostly unused now, mainly docks/chargers sit on it when I have a laptop/switch hooked up.
IMG20220622130432.jpg

I use a lot of these cable tie things that hold a good chunk of wires:
IMG20220622130517.jpg

The new Dell arm is really easy to cable manage too:
IMG20220621194402.jpg
Ooh brilliant, I feel a bit naughty now for asking - if on top of the desk is your hardware, then are the above pics of your underware?? ;) I'm very glad you showed me!

Really useful to see how you've done it - those cable clip things, do you find they actually stay on? I've always found those sticky pads lose their grip after a while and fall off for me, so I've started 3d printing screw in cable routers - they can also keep the cables separate, making it easy to swap them when I get new stuff, rather than a big mass of cables to pick through.

As you showed me yours, I'll show you a pic of my underware... ;)

Soldato
Ooh brilliant, I feel a bit naughty now for asking - if on top of the desk is your hardware, then are the above pics of your underware?? ;) I'm very glad you showed me!

Really useful to see how you've done it - those cable clip things, do you find they actually stay on? I've always found those sticky pads lose their grip after a while and fall off for me, so I've started 3d printing screw in cable routers - they can also keep the cables separate, making it easy to swap them when I get new stuff, rather than a big mass of cables to pick through.

Most of the time they tend to stay but some of the cable bends I do hold a lot of weight, those can pop off some times. If I really need them to stick I replace the sticky pad with a more premium version.

I've seen cable routing channels before but nothing quite like that, this is one of the reasons I need a 3d printer but procrastination hits me hard, I can never decide which type of printer I want, how much I want to spend, or where I would put it!

Soldato

Those are awesome, can I find STLs for them somewhere?

Associate
Heh, I made them myself - just a quick fusion 360 version. More than happy to share STLs and happy to print some if anyone needs, easy enough to press a button!

Was actually pondering modelling a new version with a few minor improvements - so might do this and share this:
- different sets with 3,6,9,12 channels for different areas.
- can easily do different sizes, but found these seem to work for everything
- going to tweak the tabs that hold it in - originally did it with a single clip, but silly as you have to hold all the cables in place if you want to swap one.

Any other ideas/thoughts/tweaks welcome and I'll do some modelling tonight and upload my upgraded underware.... ;)

Soldato
Only thing I can think of is keeping the clips integrated so you can't lose them. But that might be a more complex design because moving parts?

What was the thinking behind printing it "sideways"? I'd have done it 90° rotated but then it might be prone to splitting when cables are tugged.

Associate
Only thing I can think of is keeping the clips integrated so you can't lose them. But that might be a more complex design because moving parts?

What was the thinking behind printing it "sideways"? I'd have done it 90° rotated but then it might be prone to splitting when cables are tugged.
Yes, actually did this originally, but it's also a real pain as most solutions introduce a new problem - ie adding a fused piece with a hinge, means to swap one cable all the cables fall out, so you're holding with your hand whilst stuffing in the new one.
Ideas welcome though - although have to say this has worked great - and remember the cost of those tabs are 0.003p so if I did lose one, I would struggle to replace... ;)

Re printing it sideways - two reasons 1) exactly as you say, it's stronger that way as you have complete runs of filament along the main axis, so it'll more likely bend rather than snap and 2) I wanted to make it super easy to print so it doesn't involve any supports, so this allows you to print accurately all the elements (eg the grooves for the tabs don't have any overhang) without needing to faff with supports.

Ok finished the redesign, I'll create a new post and upload the new version later so I don't spoil this thread - any suggestions as to which forum?? It's not really 3d printing - that's more about help with those, I'm not sure where 'cable management' goes in OCUK forums - I'm surprised there isn't a forum actually now I think!

Be great to get any bright ideas/ and modifications.

Associate
Ok posted here:

Enjoy!

Soldato
Is that the Dell Oled screen? Very tempted. How do you find it
Yes it's the DELL, it is an amazing monitor. I have watched some HDR movies on it and it looks amazing, it gets pretty bright. Same with games that have HDR features, The Division 2 and Far Cry 5 popped out of the screen, absolutely great. I have tried out HDR on some of the LCD monitors that support it but most of them don't get bright enough and still have IPS glow, even the FALD screens have haloing so IMO this is the best way to do PC HDR at the moment.

The monitor does have a fan and most people say it is inaudible, it is very quiet but I am a bit of a quiet freak and very sensitive to sounds/fan noise so I can definitely hear it when sitting in my quiet office (PC is almost silent). If I'm watching or listening to anything even at lowish volumes it is drowned out very easily.

It has an unusual pixel arrangement with it being QD-OLED and people have said that text isn't as sharp but to my eye this monitor looks sharper than the LCD I had.

Other than that I'm not sure I have really found any downsides, I even found it's design really nice, definitely a massive step up from my old Alienware and was worried the white would look gaudy but it is really sleek and very thin at the edges.

Edit: This is what Ultrawide has been crying out for IMO, top end ultrawides have been way more expensive than their 16:9 counterparts whilst being kind of lackluster. This being priced basically the same as other top end 21:9 LCDs just makes them all obsolete.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom