Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW

Soldato
I turned the brightness to max for the sake of the picture. This is a govee strip and I can actually turn off segments. So when in use for a while I can turn all that front strip off.

I didn't plan on buying such a long strip but they didn't do the decent one in short length.

Soldato
Yea, the Govee ones are a bit of a pain, always 5m strip and can't cut the good ones. The lifesmart strips are better manufactured, come in smaller lengths and you can cut them but they are also more expensive.

Caporegime
I'm after a new desk, any suggestions?

I currently use a John Lewis abacus small desk, which is only 80cm wide but has a slide out keyboard tray.

In my new space I can go to about 130cm wide, or as it's in a corner it could be 130cm along the back and about 90cm along the left side.

A medium to dark wood, would suit my room better.

Soldato
I have had a listen to mine, whether phonos are plugged in or not there is zero hum even at max volume, absolutely zero. At normal distance (about 80cm I can hear zero hiss) if I move closer (around 20cm) there is a very quiet hiss which only gets a tiny bit louder going from min to max volume. I doubt you will hear this under normal listening, definitely did not notice it until my ear was right next to them.

I have been using the Edifier r1280db for a couple of years before switching to these. In my opinion they sound a good deal better than than the Edifiers. I had both speakers set up side by side to test them against each other. Even when boosting up EQ on the edifiers they do not reach the same level of detail as the Presonus, probably as the tweeter on the Presonus is just so much better and I believe the woofer, whilst smaller than the Edifiers is of better quality. The Presonus also felt like the better choice for sitting on a PC desk as the sound was more focused and present. The Edifiers felt more empty.

However, I think it probably depends on exactly what you are using the speakers for, I can definitely see the Edifiers being better for some music styles and if you watch a lot of movies or want to use them to fill a room (for a party or something) the Edifiers are probably a better shout as they have a wider sound stage and lower bass. For "critical" listening the Presonus are much better to me.

Still enjoying your Eris 3.5 over the Edifiers?

Associate
download.webp

Hybrid sound system combining a Z-5500 and a Z625 (hence two subwoofers)

• Wow
Reactions: LiE
Soldato
Out of curiosity, have you tried stuffing the ports with something? It loses some low end, but clears up the messed up response there considerably. You might end up liking it a lot more based on what I have heard others say.
I did try stuffing the ports but it removed too much bass for me, I am considering getting a sub to go with them so might stuff the ports if I get that.

Soldato
I did try stuffing the ports but it removed too much bass for me, I am considering getting a sub to go with them so might stuff the ports if I get that.

I see. How do you control volume btw, through the knob on the speaker itself? How granular is it? Thinking about trying the 4.5's with one of the reasons being I want a volume knob that doesn't annoy me!

Back
Top Bottom