[PIC_THREAD] Landscapes, Architecture, Seascapes

Caporegime
2 new ones, new location. Sunrise this time instead of sunset.

JLE01071-2.jpg

JLE01067.jpg

Went out and took these on Thursday before work! On the route to work in fact.

Caporegime
Daft question but why do they all have a purple theme to them? is it the filter?
Tbh I think it's the natural hues at sunrises and sunsets that we get here. Often the colours in the sky's pump out colours ranging from yellows, oranges, greens, blues, purples etc...coupled with being by the sea :)

I *think* anyway. Haven't had a chance to use the filter elsewhere other than at the coast during these times yet :D - there is a spot I know of in particular which I'm hoping to try out in a few weeks.

From all reports otherwise the Nisi filters don't give a colour cast. But the LEE's do.

Associate
Nice one. Not really done any landscape and haven’t invested in any filters yet. Still trying to decide if I should buy nisi / Lee or buy 82mm with step rings but a good tripod is next on the list.

Caporegime
When it comes to filters if you want to begin to invest for the long term then the LEE or NISI square ones can't be beat IMO. You buy a holder and then just an adapter to fit whatever lens you want to use it with. Adapters are cheaper in the long wrong as it allows you to not rebuy the expensive bit, the filters and just reuse the same ones with different equipment.

My 2 cents anyway.

Associate
When it comes to filters if you want to begin to invest for the long term then the LEE or NISI square ones can't be beat IMO. You buy a holder and then just an adapter to fit whatever lens you want to use it with. Adapters are cheaper in the long wrong as it allows you to not rebuy the expensive bit, the filters and just reuse the same ones with different equipment.

My 2 cents anyway.

Nice one, I was edging that way anyway so I think that's what I will do. Which is the better one to invest in?

Caporegime
Nice one, I was edging that way anyway so I think that's what I will do. Which is the better one to invest in?
Dangerous question :p

Both LEE and Nisi give fantastic images. Nisi are a smidge more expensive mainly because they're made from glass instead of resin (however, the ND filters, small, big and bigger stopper from LEE are made from glass as well)

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either. When you look at videos comparing them, the way you add a circular polariser on the Nisi system seems much bettrt, and with quality it seems like the Nisi filters do take the edge, but I believe you have to REALLY pixel peep to find the difference. One YouTuber reported up to 20% difference, but I have NO idea how he measured that.

I went with Nisi simply because I fancied it and taking a "balls to it" approach - I am sure I would have been just as satisfied with LEE if I had gone that route. Although I have to say the presentation from Nisi when unpackaging a filter is awesome.

Oh, and on the LEE big stopper as mentioned before, it is often reported to give a blue colour cast. Easily fixable in LR, but it's an extra step you have to take.

Also, as finally, I went for the LEE filter holder which holds Nisi's just fine. And the LEE filter pouch is great as well :)

Soldato
I went with NISI as the LEE system is showing its age now. I cannot say a bad word about the decision, the NISI holder and filters are excellent.
This is a great tool - https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2017/07/nd-filters/
It allows you to compare the 10 stop ND's side by side by selecting them and shows just how much colour cast the LEE Big does give. As above it is easy corrected but it is another step of tweaking that can be easy avoided by going with a nicer ND.

I actually have some Hitech grads I am using in the NISI holder and they are just resin but work incredibly well. So would not rule out Formatt filters themselves but I would not be doing with their holder as per vast majority of reviews and videos I have seen on it :( A shame as the PL for their holder looks awesome but the holder itself not so great.

Caporegime
Another new location..Praia do Abano.

JLE41073.jpg

JLE41075.jpg

Blew the sky on these as it was hard to meter due to the dull rocks but bright sky. A graduated ND would have been perfect. Next on the list of purchases!

Soldato
Not fair, you must get gorgeous sunset evening after evening. 9/10 up here if you head out hoping for a cracking sunset you will be coming home with nothing or sub par images!

I love the comps and colours @Phate - Before you get your grads (which you won't look back from tbh) try multiple exposures to bring out the best in sky and foreground then merge them.

Caporegime
Not fair, you must get gorgeous sunset evening after evening. 9/10 up here if you head out hoping for a cracking sunset you will be coming home with nothing or sub par images!

I love the comps and colours @Phate - Before you get your grads (which you won't look back from tbh) try multiple exposures to bring out the best in sky and foreground then merge them.
Indeed, it isn't fair :D

At this time of year the sunsets and sunrises are for the most part, spectacular everyday :) - however, something I am coming to realise that to get the images one of the hardest parts is getting motivated either before or after work to go out and get them. Even in bad conditions. You go to be in it to win it! Go out and scoping locations, figuring shots. Checking tide times and weather conditions, checking sunrise/sunset times. Lots of background work goes in. Although it is easier for me than the majority of the UK, especially right now :p

Making a point of making the most of it before the winter sets in and I sit there longing for nice weather :p

---

Will try out multiple exposures. A colleague has loaned me some Grads to try out over the weekend, but tomorrow I'll go down to the usual beach and just do some experiments :) - first multiple exposures, then with and without grads :)

Soldato
Oh believe me, I know the background work has to go into it but at least you do all the background work and get the weather conditions... I live my life on Google Earth and Photopills and have bugger all to show for it because forecasting changes last minute or is just wrong all together! Don't get me started on astro imaging, getting everything sorted and to be perfect for that is a whole different nightmare.

Look forward to your results with the grads over weekend mate and how you get on merging exposures.

Caporegime
Thanks!

Here is a couple of unedited exported jpgs.

Only the 10 stop fitted
none3.jpg

None3.jpg

10 stop with the hard grad

Hard3.jpg

I also have a soft grad on loan. Unfortunately the filters go back on Monday, but hoping to get out more this weekend and try them out. :)

hard3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom