[PIC_THREAD] Macro

Caporegime
Didnt know about this thread

i think this is the area im most interested in
Have you pros got any tips for getting better?

Here are mine

All on Manual
100mm L
no flash
No tripod
400D

Watch by Al4x, on Flickr

^absolute minimum distance to target on the 100mm macro there, i was aiming for the 40

Hermit by Al4x, on Flickr

Honey and Bumble by Al4x, on Flickr

^ this was a opportunity for probably 2 seconds, the honey bee on the left is already leaving after seeing the bumble! I didnt think i got it

Orange Swift by Al4x, on Flickr

Orange Swift 2 by Al4x, on Flickr

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Associate
Here's a couple of dragonflies to add to the mix:
9559516562_16ee917891_b.jpg

9556732761_11092ff5a3_c.jpg

And a red admiral:

9556731669_7b0e355e00_c.jpg

Associate
Didnt know about this thread

i think this is the area im most interested in
Have you pros got any tips for getting better?

1. Practice and take loads of shots. Then practice some more!
  2. Start with static objects as they don't run away. It's much easier to hone your technique when the subject isn't flittering, or running, out of view.
  3. Focus is everything - this includes where you choose to focus. With creatures, the eyes are the main focal point so this must be spot on. With other objects such as flowers, try experimenting by focusing on the foreground, the middle, or the rear ground. It also means controlling your depth of field - usually you'll want as much as possible to get as much of the subject in focus, but it can pay to experiment with shallower DOF.
  4. Use manual focus rather than AF and check it's pin-sharp with your LCD screen if you're using a tripod. Alternatively, focus manually on one point, e.g. a flower, and rock slightly back and forth. Then take your shots once your real subject, e.g. a bee, lands and appears in focus in your viewfinder.
  5. Learn the behaviour of the creatures you're trying to capture. For example, most butterflies are irresistably drawn towards buddleia blossoms and red admirals go mad for ivy blossoms. So if butterflies are your target subject, you need to set up near those plants.
    Dragonflies are territorial and generally use the same perch - once you've identified where it is, you can then concentrate on getting closer to it and wait for the dragonfly to return.
    Bees usually prefer to climb upwards so, if a bee lands on the bottom of a tall flower spike such as lavender, focus on the top of the plant and wait for the bee to get there.
  6. A proper 1:1 macro lens will give you the most pleasing results, but you can still practice with macro filters until you feel it's worth investing in a lens.
Finally, don't be disheartened if you fail to get that killer shot immediately. Just keep following tip no 1.

Caporegime
Luckily I'm pretty good with bug behaviour growing up in the countryside
And I always use MF
One thing I'm missing on the camera atm is live view and I'm therefore using view finder for everything, but I'm guessing you have to for free hand?

I have the 1:1 canon 100mm l lens

What's the best flash system that doesn't cost £600 for this at high f/?

Associate
Most of the time you don't go to them. They come to you.

You just sit by something tasty like a big flower and wait for them to come to it. If you're not moving they largely ignore you. I've had butterflies and bees land on my lens before because you're just part of the scenery.

Dragonflies are good cos they tend to have a hunting perch so you need to watch them flit around and see where they land. They tend to sit there for a few seconds then fly off to grab a passing bug and come back again so you can gradually edge towards it. In my top picture there he was only about an arms length away. I got a tiny bit closer but he shifted to another perch so I was probably just a tiny bit too close, so I moved away and left him alone, but they're often quite happy as long as you move very slowly and don't cast a shadow on them. Most insects will scarper when a shadow comes over them cos it's usually a sign that a predator is about to pounce.

Associate
A couple of new ones, plus a pair that probably should've been in this thread to start with!

9611828808_78de89a44e_c.jpg

9608592889_c00b0e6837_c.jpg

9611824534_4e722c6abf_c.jpg

9608586227_5d989a5dd5_c.jpg

9375145649_2ace98f0e4_c.jpg

Sony a580, Tamron 90mm AF F/2.8 macro (plus No 2 Minolta closeup lens for the first image), Vivitar Macroflash 5000.

Back
Top Bottom