[PIC_THREAD] People, Portraits, Street

Soldato
Rhys lifts the blacks as a lot of us do nowadays and I've been doing in one form or another for about a year. That's not the same as cross processing. He may tweak the colours but applying somebody else's preset at 100% opacity isn't suitable for the vast majority of images and results in a lot of the images go just a bit too far off of natural colours.

Now I've wrecked plenty of skin tones for a conscious palette decision but just applying the same set of presets (correct me if I'm wrong) means you get weird tones and colours that don't necessarily add to the image or effect the look you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No, I'm referring to the raw pink\red blotchy skin tones that his processing has at times. It not as pronounced in some pics but looks really odd in others. It's sightly less pronounced on my PC with calibrated screen, but on the iPad, iPhone, S2 etc. it doesn't look great.

Cross processing has been used for portraits for years, some I like, some I don't

Soldato
Yes but cross processing deliberately as part of a workflow and applying a cross processing preset are two very different things. When I've seen red/blotchy skin tones in his work it's tended to be because england is damn cold at times. If you could bring up an example of what you're talking about that would help? I can't say I've particularly noticed it before, certainly more of his colours remain intact than in the discussed photos.

Soldato
OP
In the recent set, third pic, tones aren't nice at all. To be honest it's in all sets including the weddings from last year.

By the way, I'm not using a cross processing preset at all...

Soldato
I'd check your calibration as that looks just fine to me. It's clearly a cold day, and combined with that flare I don't see any reason why those colours shouldn't be natural given England is a cold place and cheeks go rosy as a result.

I'm not talking about you using a preset, I'm talking about GSXR. Yours are much less extreme and while they look a /little/ green to me it's nothing seriously offensive to my eye.

Soldato
OP
I'd check your calibration as that looks just fine to me. It's clearly a cold day, and combined with that flare I don't see any reason why those colours shouldn't be natural given England is a cold place and cheeks go rosy as a result.

I'm not talking about you using a preset, I'm talking about GSXR. Yours are much less extreme and while they look a /little/ green to me it's nothing seriously offensive to my eye.

Well, everything I print comes out as per my screen (barring the black depth, which I can't get right) I don't think it's that far out. As I said earlier though, it's worse on screens of the iPad, iPhone, S2 etc. As that is the medium potential clients will view initially, it's pretty important? Ultimately though, processing is all down personal preference. So it doesn't really matter all that much.

Soldato

This.
That's the natural colour.

Rojin considering you think my skin tones are too magenta on your monitor(s), does you daughters face look green on your monitor?

On mine she looks like she is seasick.
My monitors were calibrated on latest spyder elite 4.

Soldato
OP
This.
That's the natural colour.

Rojin considering you think my skin tones are too magenta on your monitor(s), does you daughters face look green on your monitor?

On mine she looks like she is seasick.
My monitors were calibrated on latest spyder elite 4.

Not magenta, pink. Then in some it brings in a desaturated red, which just looks blotchy (usually when it looks like you are pushing the saturation in a pic as well) it doesn't look natural to me. I haven't seen your prints, so I don't know what colour profile you are using for that? I've only got a Pantone calibrator, but what I see on my screen I get in print (except blacks, which tend to be darker in print), using DSCL profiles so it can't be a mile put. More importantly I imagine though, is that it also looks this way on iPad (2&3), iPhone (4s&5) and S2 screens. So this is going to be indicative of how your potential clients see it as well? Your pics have a consistent PP, and look. I don't think it's terrible or anything, I'm just not a huge fan of the desaturation and odd (to me) skin tones for weddings. I actually like it in the latest engagement shoot as it matches the feel/weather of the shoot. It would also work well in certain portrait shoots.

Basically I am just saying that your skin tones look processed rather than natural, that's all. It's no bad thing as you have your style. So I find it odd that you always pick up on cross processing, although if you're not a fan...!

There is a green/blue split tone in the PP that I am using, I like the overall tone. But I have played a bit with the tone/hue following your comments in other threads to reduce the sea sick look :D

Last edited:
Soldato
DSCL profiles vary from paper to paper so I think that might be it. Just because you're seeing what a certain print will give you doesn't mean you're seeing the de facto standard profile. Their poster papers for example generally don't have reds quite as strong as on the smaller lustre papers. If you've calibrated for a paper and ink that has the weaker reds like the basic DSCL poster prints it's very possible that that's why you're seeing them oversaturated on the web.

Soldato
I'm a little confused. In the below example, the skin tones look pink to you?
On my screen, the they look mainly yellow'ish orange'ish although you can tell her cheeks are slightly rosy due to the cold. Same with ipad mini.
Charlie-Simon-2.jpg

However someone with a degree of Tritanomaly will see these tones as pink.
Link

Does anyone else with calibrated screens see red/pink skin?

Soldato
There's a difference between calibrated to match prints and calibrated to match the internet standard, I'm sure it's just that he's using DSCL profiles on top of a standard calibration which has boosted the reds too much. Her skin looks pretty much grey to me. I realise they'll actually be orange tones with the flare but certainly nothing that looks like a skin tone has been wrecked.

Soldato
OP
There's a difference between calibrated to match prints and calibrated to match the internet standard, I'm sure it's just that he's using DSCL profiles on top of a standard calibration which has boosted the reds too much. Her skin looks pretty much grey to me. I realise they'll actually be orange tones with the flare but certainly nothing that looks like a skin tone has been wrecked.

I only use DSCL profiles in Photoshop...

Soldato
OP
I'm a little confused. In the below example, the skin tones look pink to you?
On my screen, the they look mainly yellow'ish orange'ish although you can tell her cheeks are slightly rosy due to the cold. Same with ipad mini.
Charlie-Simon-2.jpg

However someone with a degree of Tritanomaly will see these tones as pink.
Link

Does anyone else with calibrated screens see red/pink skin?

Nah, that is one of the better shots. As I said for me it is more prevalent in the more saturated shots that you do, this obviously isn't one. Although you can still see blotchy skin on the chaps face. I'm not colour blind either thank you very much!

Soldato
Rojin could you print screen the page and paste the relevant parts into this thread? That way we can tell if it's the initial ICC profile that's messing with it

Man of Honour
Some backstage stuff I did for a friend's show:

bYQktFL.jpg

jsBhlox.jpg

BnyAgbO.jpg

I like these a lot, BW is the perfect setup for this as well.

How about this one?
Devon_Wedding_Photographer-009.jpg

True story. A friend of my Grandma bought a car. Years later she commented on the colour. That's when her friend found out he was colour blind.

All the others I've just quickly browsed above look fine skin tone wise but the one quoted above looks pink faced, not overly exhaggerated of course but they do look more pink than what I'd normally expect given the surorunding lighting and colour.

Dell U2713HM and U2412M, both calibrated with Lacie BlueEye Pro here.

Back
Top Bottom