[PIC_THREAD] Weddings

Soldato
I have a big Tamrac backpack I take with me to weddings and things then leave it in a corner somewhere and sling over a sidebag (a Pentax one in fact :p), it's small but big enough to house 2 lenses and a flashgun + batteries. Makes things a whole load easier when pootling around doing my candid shots throughout the day.

I see. I have been looking at the crumpler style bags that fit everything in but it's not really something I want to order online without trying.

EDIT : Also I hate my "LOOK AT ME CANON 5D MKIII" camera strap. Really need to get some plain straps!

Caporegime
Nice pics Mr Tommo :)

I got a ridiculous backlog at the moment, no more leaving the house !

rtD9iKn.jpg

Re: shooting on a boat, that's one of the best part about this job. The travels, the different things you get to see. I love it when the wedding is a little bit different every now and again, from big and small, it stirs creativity inside me as opposed to "OMG, I've never shot on a boat before, what do I do?".

It's all great fun ! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just found my review of the Geekstar from 2006

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=245725

Any suspect of the strap is non-issue lol, not after 8 years and not spilled anything from it ever.

I actually had tried look at other bags since but never found one that I think could take abuse as much as this one with the flexibility and size that it offers.

Soldato
Re Bags, I use a combination of Peli 1560 case which holds the gear and I take out stuff as when i need it from the car to my Crumple Geekstar (discontinued).

It can hold

2 flash heads, 2 bodies and 3 lenses. with space for bits.

That looks good, looks kind of like the Crumpler 7 million dollar home by the looks of it?

Oh yeah here are a few from a more recent wedding:

Same here, backlog is being worked through slowly, 4 sets from the past month alone :S

Can't wait to try out my new pocketwizards for some decent OCF evening shots!

Just found my review of the Geekstar from 2006

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=245725

Any suspect of the strap is non-issue lol, not after 8 years and not spilled anything from it ever.

I actually had tried look at other bags since but never found one that I think could take abuse as much as this one with the flexibility and size that it offers.

Can't see the images but looked it up, shame the newer ones look a little ugly! Kind of like my billingham beige retro look!

Soldato
Nice pics Mr Tommo :)

I got a ridiculous backlog at the moment, no more leaving the house !

rtD9iKn.jpg

Re: shooting on a boat, that's one of the best part about this job. The travels, the different things you get to see. I love it when the wedding is a little bit different every now and again, from big and small, it stirs creativity inside me as opposed to "OMG, I've never shot on a boat before, what do I do?".

It's all great fun ! :)

Got to love morning prep, my favourite part of the wedding day!

Totally agree, the first few weddings I used to get a little nervous but now I absolutely love them. Everyone is totally different. Although one thing we need to improve on is getting some weddings out of the area. Every wedding has been in Staffordshire & Cheshire so far. We get a few weddings for people out of the area but they are all using Staffordshire based venues.

I think we need to branch out to some Wedding fayres further afield, although I'm not really a fan of wedding fayres to be honest.

Caporegime
The thread is 8 years old, hence dead links in the images. The bad looks nothing special on the outside, and I am sure there are random google images online. It's just plain when closed and it serves its purpose. I never use it outside wedding, it don't take it on my travels...I travel with my camera bags :p

p.s. i've never been to a wedding fayre...I wouldn't know where to begin with one. Word of mouth is where I seem to get jobs from and that really do take you everywhere.

Man of Honour
Wedding fayres are to be avoided. I've heard this from one too many brides during our initial conversations. I don't go to them either but at first did want to set up in one but from what couples, brides especially, have told me is that they all felt like they were being hard sold photography with all manner of packages, costs and additional items.
A few even said that some of those wedding photographers would talk bad about their competition and why they're better... All couples want is a style they like and a no hassle contract and because of that I'm still word of mouth because I know anyone who approaches me will know exactly what they're going to get and have done so because they like what they've already seen and been told.

I don't think I'd want to do weddings only though which is why I venture out and do many different things from urbex to street to exploring lows and highs and landscapes. I find doing these things in between everything else helps keep creativity flowing and keep things interesting. I'd never have imagined that I'd be shooting a wedding in the Arctic Circle or in Pakistan (with armed guards at the doors no less!) or heading to Canada for a week all expenses paid. Maybe there's more to come I don't know yet but it's an adventure is it not and that's what's most exciting :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with the wedding fayres, we do one but only because we get given the stand for free. We have to photograph the bridal catwalk in exchange for our stand. I didn't really think it was for us and seemed to be filled with photographers trying to outdo eachother on who could offer the cheapest price. There was one photographer who asked the client how much they wanted to pay, got a response of £300 and the deal was done! (yes, Three Hundred Pounds!)

All of our bookings are through word of mouth but that seems to just continue the cycle of local weddings.

Arctic circle, Palistan & Canada?! Please do share some photos!!

Man of Honour
I agree with the wedding fayres, we do one but only because we get given the stand for free. We have to photograph the bridal catwalk in exchange for our stand. I didn't really think it was for us and seemed to be filled with photographers trying to outdo eachother on who could offer the cheapest price. There was one photographer who asked the client how much they wanted to pay, got a response of £300 and the deal was done! (yes, Three Hundred Pounds!)

All of our bookings are through word of mouth but that seems to just continue the cycle of local weddings.

Arctic circle, Palistan & Canada?! Please do share some photos!!

No Pakistan ones as they wanted to keep those offline. I've posted the others in here though previously!

Soldato
No Pakistan ones as they wanted to keep those offline. I've posted the others in here though previously!

Sorry only just seen this, I don't have a life anymore with all my weekends being taken up with weddings/viewings/appointments! Can't complain though :)

Here are some from a Wedding 2 weeks ago. The weather was horrendous! Rained all day but we did have a 30 minute break late on where the skies went blue. First rainy wedding this year but actually felt like we embraced it rather than letting it spoil the photos.

The full storyboard can be seen here : http://kandlphotography.co.uk/tissington-hall/joanne-duncans/

OEJByhy.jpg.png

wcomljF.jpg

tkMtm75.jpg.png

CcGLyoZ.jpg.png

DXMQf29.jpg

v0zGB9D.jpg.png

HS21MdZ.jpg

n9NlAli.jpg.png

Oz3Kb17.jpg

uH4PMvm.jpg.png

mKdXLPw.jpg.png

N8ERVDq.jpg

YlnJH6s.jpg

QQHqnq4.jpg.png

JXPSvzH.jpg

Soldato
Indeed, was a really nice moment with her sister and mother. I always turn the camera to silent mode just in case these moments happen! Nothing more obtrusive than the clunking of a camera while somebody is really emotional!

The venue was Tissington Hall in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Lovely place and the owner actually lives there in the week! Done 2 weddings at the venue in the last 2 weeks, previously I'd never even heard of it.

Post some more weddings up guys, this is probably my favourite thread on these forums. Weddings are starting to take over my life :D

Permabanned
Ah, Tissington Hall, we went there not that long and paid for a tour, the owner, Sir Richard FitzHerbert appeared and took us into a few of the rooms that were not part of the official tour. He was a really nice bloke, it costs about £100,000 a year just to keep that place running.

Back
Top Bottom