[PIC_THREAD] Wildlife, Animals, Birds, Zoo

Associate
Eagle heights
http://vimeo.com/100644639
Really like the dragon flies I tried, Today to take some pics of dragon flies but struggled to get near them ,how did you get so close without them flying off ,what fl macro lens did you use ?

I've been trying to get dragonflies recently too, this one although over exposed was taken using my 75-300 lens with the canon 500D Close Up filter on the end, the depth of field is shockingly low but it came out OK. I sat and ate my sandwiches until they came to me.

dfly1.jpg

This one I took on Thursday on a viewing platform on a lake, I just waited for him to land close by and bingo.

spits3.jpg

Both were taken with my old 8 MP Canon.

Caporegime
^^^
The first one is fantastic and I don't think it is overexposed at all. Certainly nothing that can't be corrected in software but I don't think you need to. Focus and DoF are spot on IMO. Love the fact it is looking right at you!

The second one is a little soft. seems like the focus was a little behind the body. This is really hard to avoid when hand holding because the size of the focus area means it can pick up on edges away from where you intend and focus there. With DoF so small the slightest error will cause issues.For the shots I have above I had dozens where the focal plain was just 2-3 mm further forwards or further behind, or tilted very slightly, all while doing my best to remain consistent.

Associate
Cheers for that, most appreciated, focusing is the key I guess, it is hellish with the Close Up adaptor. Heres my large skipper:

lings6.jpg

It's difficult to keep the whole beastie in focus when they are 3d beings.

Soldato
1- I think I missed the take-off as he wasn't too far from where I had just walked but I caught him/her as they were spiralling back up on the thermals. Fairly heavy crop but ok nonetheless.

Kestrel by Phal44, on Flickr

2- One of the young Little Grebes in this location who was just hiding out in the pads

Young Little Grebe by Phal44, on Flickr

3- A bird! Couldn't be bothered to track down the name. This one and a friend were looking for food on a little footpath as I got there.

Bird? by Phal44, on Flickr

Permabanned
Permabanned
Birdies

_DSC5043_2 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5034 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5029 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Plotting escape...
_DSC5094_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Surfin...
_DSC5119_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5234_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4870_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4922_2_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

You checkin out ma baby?
_DSC4835_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4813_2 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4861_2 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4864 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4948_2_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC4953 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5101_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5135_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5186_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5191_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5194_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5195_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5201_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5204_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_DSC5005_2_c by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Permabanned
Soldato
Went to Pulborough Brooks (RSPB Reserve) to see if there was anything worth photographing (I popped in for a quick visit during the winter as I was driving by and it was pretty dead) and found there was Deer there. There was quite a lot of Deer in fact since there seemed to be two different groups in different ends of the place. One seemed mostly filled with males (most of them had antlers) and the other group shown here seemed mostly female?

They came closer so I got shots of these whereas the males were further away. They were all coloured like this apart from one that was Bambi coloured :)

Giving me the eye by Phal44, on Flickr

One of the little ones

Ears = Shades by Phal44, on Flickr

This was as they were starting to get a bit further away

A Gaggle of 4 Legged things by Phal44, on Flickr

I also saw some birds :D

Raaaaaaaaah by Phal44, on Flickr

Caporegime
How have I missed this thread? Incredible stuff here guys - might borrow one or two of these images for my lessons :). Truly fantastic stuff.

Make sure you ask the photographers permission first. I'm sure no one will mind but it is. It nice just to take someone photos without asking.

Back
Top Bottom