**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
£50 discount on both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL on the Google store. Since I only got mine last week, I might see if they'll give me £50 refund. Otherwise I could order a new one and send the old one back.

No dice. Because I didn't order in the promotion period they won't give me £50. That's a shame but that's what you get for pre ordering something and waiting 3 weeks for it to be delivered!

Seems a bit silly though given that there's nothing stopping me just returning the old phone and buying a new one at the discounted price. Now they have to process the return and pay for shipping both ways.

Soldato
Turns out my fingerprint issue was down to an app I was running. The app in question is Automate which recently added a fingerprint gesture feature, however, I wasn't actually using this feature. Automate is like Tasker (but better in my opinion) and you build flows using blocks - the fingerprint gesture block wasn't present in any flow.

I've alerted the developer so hopefully they'll fix it.

Soldato
I've just earned a heap of unexpected overtime which has resulted in me doing a heap of unexpected work. As a result, I feel like treating myself.

Is it worth trading my Pixel XL for a Pixel 2 XL?
Are the screen and flaws as bad as first reported, or was it all exaggerated?

I haven't followed this thread for weeks.

Associate
I've just earned a heap of unexpected overtime which has resulted in me doing a heap of unexpected work. As a result, I feel like treating myself.

To be honest, the screen isn't perfect. The viewing angles are slightly poorer than the price of the thing might suggest. There is a slight "paper" like effect on whites. Saturated mode has definitely helped, however, you cannot easily overcome hardware limitations. My previous phone was a Galaxy S7 Edge so that obviously had a good screen.

Are any perceived issues with the screen spoiling anything for me? Absolutely not. Is the screen still good quality when viewed normally? Yes, it is still a nice screen! I had a little play with an iPhone X the other day and while I don't doubt that the screen on that may be higher quality, it is hardly a deal breaker for most of the population.

If you are the sort who goes looking for faults then maybe you won't be happy. For me, I'm enjoying the stellar software experience - the fast, smooth performance, the consistency of the UI/UX and the overall vision google has for android is for me far beyond what I've ever used on Android before. It's the first phone where after 2 weeks, I still haven't changed anything, and normally I was always one of these who would swap out the defaults on a phone. Not this time!

Also definitely worthy of note is the battery life, camera and physical appearance of it (I have the Panda, love it!)

Associate

In my opinion, it was over exaggerated. Yes there is a blue tinge when viewing the screen at an angle, but after a few days you don't even notice it (unless you're obsessed). I have not noticed the other screen issues that some reported.

Associate
The AR functionality in the camera app is good fun... Just blown my nephew's mind by sending a video of R2 wandering around our kitchen!

Google must have pulled the trigger to enable it just in time for a Star Wars tie in, with the update of a few background apps.

Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
OP
Got the 8.1 OTA notification, any reason not to update?

We have two Pixel phones at home, my original which I bought through the Play Store and my Panda 2 XL bought through CPW. The older Pixel has received the 8.1 Oreo OTA but not yet on the newer one.

Did you by chance buy your Pixel 2 from CPW or from another source?

Soldato
Thinking of getting a 2 XL to replace my S7 edge, and I see Google are doing £50 off just now with a free Google Home Mini. Anyone on the highstreet matching this deal? Looks like the Google Store takes 5-6 days for delivery.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Got my Home Mini yesterday, set it up and had a play, its handy but I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it.

Back
Top Bottom