**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
That is good going. They may tweak it in future updates.
This is what I'm hoping. Maybe they might realise that they were a little too conservative with their battery optimisation rubbish and loosen the reigns a bit on the fast charging. I assume a software update would take care of it considering Samsung were able to block the Note 7 from charging via an OTA.

Still no 8.1 for me...

Last edited:
Soldato
This is what I'm hoping. Maybe they might realise that they were a little too conservative with their battery optimisation rubbish and loosen the reigns a bit on the fast charging. I assume a software update would take care of it considering Samsung were able to block the Note 7 from charging via an OTA.

Still no 8.1 for me...
I would image so. I seem to remember there being something similar with one of the Nexus devices or maybe I'm getting confused with the lag when on charge when 7.0 came out.

Still no 8.1 for me either.

Soldato
One thing I will say about 8.1 is that is seems to have fixed the random reboots I was getting on 8.0

I didn't have many. But enough to make it a minor annoyance. But since I went on to the beta with DP2 the reboots vanished.

I'm sure this will be famous last words!

Soldato
One thing I will say about 8.1 is that is seems to have fixed the random reboots I was getting on 8.0

I didn't have many. But enough to make it a minor annoyance. But since I went on to the beta with DP2 the reboots vanished.

I'm sure this will be famous last words!

Think I read that was a fault of the modem going into a kernel panic mode switching into/from 4G.

Soldato
Then if your device is still enrolled into the beta you will continue to receive beta updates when available until you unenroll. So for example when 8.2 DP1 is out you will get that update if you're still enrolled in the program, and so on.

You wont get Beta's for Android P from what it says on their Beta page. You have to enroll again for those.

The Android Beta Program gives you an opportunity to try out pre-release versions of Android and Android Wear, and provide feedback. Devices that you opt-in to the program will receive an over-the-air (OTA) update to the latest beta version of Android O or Android Wear.

If you were previously enrolled in the Android N Beta Program, you must enrol again to receive Android O. You may remain in the Android Beta Program beyond the initial O release to preview future Android O maintenance releases (MRs). If you choose to do so, you will automatically get an OTA update to pre-release versions of the MRs as they become available. At the end of the program, you will begin to receive regular public updates.

Soldato
I would also like to say the standby battery drain seems to be excellent. I was on 100% for hours with the phone sitting on the table, almost iPhone-like. Never seen an Android phone not drain at all.

Haven't received 8.1 though yet.
Sitting at 100% for longer than usual doesn't really mean much, that could be by design and calibration of the battery counter.

IPhone's do that and drop off a lot quicker than usual after 50%.

Permabanned
OP
So on the 8.1 what's the deal with the visual core ? Do we need to enable anything

From what I have read, the 8.1 update does activate and enable the Pixel Visual Core without you doing anything in addition.

Visual Core is essentially Google's first custom designed co-processor for image recognition and ML.

So VC being enabled in theory will allow Pixel 2 users to take HDR+ pictures with apps that use the Android Camera API. And I would expect further OTA updates from Google over time that will continue to improve the quality of the images your camera can take.

By releasing the developer app, Google clearly wanted devs to create apps that can take advantage of the VC co-processor.

Associate
I'd flash it manually but I don't have bootloader unlocked & don't want to lose everything I've set up.

On that subject, If I did unlock bootloader, would my Banking Apps still work?

Soldato
I'd flash it manually but I don't have bootloader unlocked & don't want to lose everything I've set up.

On that subject, If I did unlock bootloader, would my Banking Apps still work?
I can't comment on this specific instance but when I unlocked the bootloader on my S6 edge+ a couple of years back my banking apps no longer worked.

Back
Top Bottom