**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Ah, I see.

It's a very impressive device for battery life though, I must be able to get at least five hours SOT quite consistently.

That's pretty good. I'm getting the same if not a little more from my OP5.

SoC's and the rest have come along way, my phone doesn't even get that warm when in use compared to my nexus 6.

Soldato
I've done some research today by fully draining my battery and testing the current, and mAh being put into the device.

From what I can tell, the system is displaying 100% charge when the battery is at 2,370mAh. Despite hitting 100% according to the system, accubattery is still showing current of 400mA being supplied and the total mAh continually going up past this.

According to the documentation on accubattery's website, manufacturers are known to play this little game and they believe it's down to the quick charge wars. It could be more likely to do with getting users to take their devices off charge before the battery is physically at 90% charge.

So yeah, charging to 80% (according to what the system is reporting) like I have been doing is actually only really charging to 70%!

Soldato
I've done some research today by fully draining my battery and testing the current, and mAh being put into the device.

From what I can tell, the system is displaying 100% charge when the battery is at 2,370mAh. Despite hitting 100% according to the system, accubattery is still showing current of 400mA being supplied and the total mAh continually going up past this.

According to the documentation on accubattery's website, manufacturers are known to play this little game and they believe it's down to the quick charge wars. It could be more likely to do with getting users to take their devices off charge before the battery is physically at 90% charge.

So yeah, charging to 80% (according to what the system is reporting) like I have been doing is actually only really charging to 70%!
So the battery never truly reaches 100%?

Soldato
So the battery never truly reaches 100%?

Yeah it will, but only if you leave it on charge despite the battery reporting 100%

Looking at the charge history in accubattery, it reports 0 to 100% with 2,496mAh being put in. This took 2hrs 21mins, but the system was showing 100% at ~2,370ish. The current really drops too when it's actually topping up to the true full capacity.

Associate
The "playing song" feature on the AOD is pretty terrible is it not? Half of the time it either doesn't know whats playing, is showing the previous song, or just gets it completely wrong.

Soldato
The "playing song" feature on the AOD is pretty terrible is it not? Half of the time it either doesn't know whats playing, is showing the previous song, or just gets it completely wrong.

If it doesn't show the song it doesn't know it. As it doesn't get any info from the net it has to rely on a file stored on your phone which will have it's limits.

I like the feature and I've never seen it display the wrong song.

Associate
I've left the "playing song" function on, but have also activated an IFTTT action to write the results to a Google Sheet... some horrific results after a night on the sauce in town last Saturday!

Flipside was getting some damn fine photos taken with absolutely no effort. Impressed even the iPhone and Samsung zealots present too.

Soldato
From what I have read, the 8.1 update does activate and enable the Pixel Visual Core without you doing anything in addition.

Visual Core is essentially Google's first custom designed co-processor for image recognition and ML.

So VC being enabled in theory will allow Pixel 2 users to take HDR+ pictures with apps that use the Android Camera API. And I would expect further OTA updates from Google over time that will continue to improve the quality of the images your camera can take.

By releasing the developer app, Google clearly wanted devs to create apps that can take advantage of the VC co-processor.

Aha ok thanks for info my man

Soldato
£50 discount on both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL on the Google store. Since I only got mine last week, I might see if they'll give me £50 refund. Otherwise I could order a new one and send the old one back.

Back
Top Bottom