Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Man of Honour
AFAIK that is old footage of the Vulcan - it was flight restricted to the ground a few years back unfortunately. There was a thread here awhile back with the efforts to try and keep it in the sky - I donated a couple of times to the efforts to preserve it - not heard about it being allowed to fly again.

Had a RAF a400m come incredibly low over my house late last night - incredible noise - can't have been more than 200 foot up at that point (FR said 350) if that it literally looked about 2x house heights off the ground.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, sadly, the Vulcan will never fly again. Was fortunate enough to see her fly a few times post-restoration. Nowadays, my name is on a brass plaque, along with 1000s of others, on the underside of XH558's port wing.

The A400Ms are stupidly loud. Even when they fly over at 20000+ feet, they're still pretty noisy.

Soldato
Had a RAF a400m come incredibly low over my house late last night - incredible noise - can't have been more than 200 foot up at that point (FR said 350) if that it literally looked about 2x house heights off the ground.

I love the A400m noise, hear and see it quite often as they use my local airport for touch and go practice and my place is on the flight path.

Had a similar experience to you a few months back on the low flying one but was two US C-130s at low altitude and close formation just as it was starting to get dark.

Man of Honour
Just had 2 Chinooks go by - don't show on ADSB - one was about 150 foot up the other was flying crazy low, below the treeline at times flying across fields, barely above it at others. Not sure whose they were.

Man of Honour
Just had 2 Chinooks go by - don't show on ADSB - one was about 150 foot up the other was flying crazy low, below the treeline at times flying across fields, barely above it at others. Not sure whose they were.
They’ll be RAF and they won’t show because they’re below coverage.
I had the privilege a few years ago when I was doing some interface work with RAF Odiham and managed to blag a ride in the back of a Chinook. We entered the London CTR at Bagshot and followed the heli lanes up the M3 to Heathrow and then up the Thames to the barrier and back again, some with the back door down. One of those experiences that will forever be burned into my memory.

Last edited:
Commissario
I had the privilege a few years ago when I was doing some interface work with RAF Odiham and managed to blag a ride in the back of a Chinook. We entered the London CTR at Bagshot and followed the heli lanes up the M3 to Heathrow and then up the Thames to the barrier and back again, some with the back door down. One of those experiences that will forever be burned into my memory.
Similar but not quite the same, many years ago I got a flight in the back of a Hercules. I was good friends with a guy who did UK scenery for MSFS - He was a loadmaster out of Fairford and he got me on a "friends and family" flight where they took off from Fairford, flew down towards the Bristol Channel, round and back again. The ramp and doors were wide open and it's an experience I'll never forget.

I've 'flown' a Chinook in the dedicated motion sim at BAH in Gatwick, even longer ago.

Associate

You near East Manchester, saw one around 630pm flying over Ashton under Lyne, no idea where they came from or went to. Was on flight radar though for a brief period.

Associate
They’ll be RAF and they won’t show because they’re below coverage.

Similar but not quite the same, many years ago I got a flight in the back of a Hercules. I was good friends with a guy who did UK scenery for MSFS - He was a loadmaster out of Fairford and he got me on a "friends and family" flight where they took off from Fairford, flew down towards the Bristol Channel, round and back again. The ramp and doors were wide open and it's an experience I'll never forget.

I've 'flown' a Chinook in the dedicated motion sim at BAH in Gatwick, even longer ago.

I spent 5 years working on Chinooks and have a load of video from the flights I did (including sitting on the ramp at 50ft and 150mph over the desert) but as I'm still serving I'd get screwed over for posting them online... :D

Man of Honour
Thanks Rroff, clearly a different flight then up my end. Was a great sight, if only for the noise they make before you even notice them.

I've seen them for instance pop up around Wales before going dark again then appearing around Reading, etc. so could still be the same flight.

Man of Honour
Just had a Typhoon come low over my house seemingly for LOLs - can't match the F18, etc. for sound but wow - I'm talking buzzing me low enough to have my heart in my mouth...

EDIT: And a second one even lower - possibly sub 500 feet.

Have to wonder if it was on purpose :s as they turned in and came over low for seemingly no good reason deviating from their flight path before and after... LOL.

9AKLs7a.png

There was a pair of them, track is a bit of a mess but for some reason they turned in and did a run at my house as if targetting it LOL - diving right down as they came in then back up again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hate being me sometimes LOL - heard a plane flying over (at 33,000 feet) and was like something isn't right - checked FR24 and they are diverting due to some kind of issue.

Back
Top Bottom