Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Permabanned
Thats clear Thanks....

Sleap's close to RAF Shawbury which is great for helicopter fans....

One thing I've found is there are a few of these little jet planes mostly in USA (East Coast).... Don't recognise the silhouette. Would upload a pic (from screenshot) but can't seem to do it here ?

Thanks

I must see or hear 20 helicopters a day go over here, some are obviously military (I mean, are there any of those two rotor heterodyning things in private ownership?), but a few are private like the JCB one. I am not really into aerpolanes, having spenst years directly under Ringway's (Manchester International Airoprt's) main flight path, they became unoticed and like the pigeons and sparrows, merely "there". But I would like to ID some of propellor driven wonders that screw through the air with a thunderous resonating beat.

Associate
I must see or hear 20 helicopters a day go over here, some are obviously military (I mean, are there any of those two rotor heterodyning things in private ownership?), but a few are private like the JCB one. I am not really into aerpolanes, having spenst years directly under Ringway's (Manchester International Airoprt's) main flight path, they became unoticed and like the pigeons and sparrows, merely "there". But I would like to ID some of propellor driven wonders that screw through the air with a thunderous resonating beat.

If you mean the mighty sound of the Chinook, then no - there aren't any privately owned in this country. British Airways used to use them to fly people out to oil rigs many years ago, but the only ones non-military that I know of now are some fire-fighting ones in America.

Man of Honour
One thing I've found is there are a few of these little jet planes mostly in USA (East Coast).... Don't recognise the silhouette. Would upload a pic (from screenshot) but can't seem to do it here ?

How little? there seems to be a plethora of smaller private jets like the Bombardier Challenger 300 and 600 series and so on and an increase in private ownership of smaller fighter and civilian jets like various older training models Northrop T-38, Hawker Hunters, L39 Albatross, etc.

Man of Honour
If you mean the mighty sound of the Chinook, then no - there aren't any privately owned in this country.

There is one I see flying in and out of Henstridge Airfield from time to time which definitely isn't military - I don't know much about it though may be owned by someone like Draken Europe - but it isn't marked up like RAF or Army Air normally is.

Unfortunately never caught it on FR24, etc. to see what it is.

Last edited:
Associate
There is one I see flying in and out of Henstridge Airfield from time to time which definitely isn't military - I don't know much about it though may be owned by someone like Draken Europe - but it isn't marked up like RAF or Army Air normally is.

Unfortunately never caught it on FR24, etc. to see what it is.

I stand to be corrected, but I've never known any to be flown by private company in the UK. There are squadrons in the RAF and USAF who operate 'unmarked' ones as it were, the American ones in particular are painted black and have so much extra kit dripping off them you'd struggle to see the Chinook outline. They'd also be a ridiculously expensive way to transport people around with maintenance costs etc

Man of Honour
I stand to be corrected, but I've never known any to be flown by private company in the UK. There are squadrons in the RAF and USAF who operate 'unmarked' ones as it were, the American ones in particular are painted black and have so much extra kit dripping off them you'd struggle to see the Chinook outline. They'd also be a ridiculously expensive way to transport people around with maintenance costs etc

Unfortunately I don't know much about it - but it has no military markings and no military gear externally - has that "decommissioned" look and isn't operated by people who look like military - however beyond that I really couldn't say - there are several companies who use the airfield from time to time who provide services to the military and defence industry so might be one of those.

Associate
Unfortunately I don't know much about it - but it has no military markings and no military gear externally - has that "decommissioned" look and isn't operated by people who look like military - however beyond that I really couldn't say - there are several companies who use the airfield from time to time who provide services to the military and defence industry so might be one of those.

Unless they were popping in for a refuel during a post-maintenance test flight after paint strip as the depth facility isn't too far away from there - I could easily be wrong but in the 5 years I spent on them as an engineer I never heard of any civilian ones in the UK. Could easily be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time! :cry:

Man of Honour
Unless they were popping in for a refuel during a post-maintenance test flight after paint strip as the depth facility isn't too far away from there - I could easily be wrong but in the 5 years I spent on them as an engineer I never heard of any civilian ones in the UK. Could easily be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time! :cry:

Actually that would make sense if it was maintenance related - I don't know where they are from or going to but they do the same flight coming in low parallel with the A357 every 3-4 months and are stripped down decommissioned looking and there is a bunch of that stuff in the area around Blandford, etc. plus Yeovilton.

Associate
Actually that would make sense if it was maintenance related - I don't know where they are from or going to but they do the same flight coming in low parallel with the A357 every 3-4 months and are stripped down decommissioned looking and there is a bunch of that stuff in the area around Blandford, etc. plus Yeovilton.

Sounds plausible then - they're maintained near Gosport and the test flights will be done by Boeing crews who wear blue flying suits so don't look military in the slightest...

Associate
How little? there seems to be a plethora of smaller private jets like the Bombardier Challenger 300 and 600 series and so on and an increase in private ownership of smaller fighter and civilian jets like various older training models Northrop T-38, Hawker Hunters, L39 Albatross, etc.

Looks almost like a Harrier not sure ?

Man of Honour

Looks almost like a Harrier not sure ?

Second one is almost certainly P8-Poseidon. Not sure on the first.

EDIT: On a related note been a huge amount of maritime patrol activity off the east and west US coasts, North Sea, Baltics, etc. over the last 24 hours or so - I suspect concerning Russian submarine movements.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
Google says Triton UAV - AE6 is usually Poseidons - didn't look at the altitude.

EDIT: Flight Radar 24 does identify it as Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Triton.

I spent 8 years as an engineer on Nimrods - occasionally they'd do some mission stuff with us on board when we were going somewhere and that was usually about 200ft or so. Much more fun than 40,000!

Associate
Second one is almost certainly P8-Poseidon. Not sure on the first.

EDIT: On a related note been a huge amount of maritime patrol activity off the east and west US coasts, North Sea, Baltics, etc. over the last 24 hours or so - I suspect concerning Russian submarine movements.
Aah ok that's where they seem to be....

Google says Triton UAV - AE6 is usually Poseidons - didn't look at the altitude.

EDIT: Flight Radar 24 does identify it as Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Triton.

Some seem to have 'tight search' patterns that might make sense if they're drones

Man of Honour
Aah ok that's where they seem to be....

Some seem to have 'tight search' patterns that might make sense if they're drones

ADS-B exchange has some aircraft which Flight Radar 24 doesn't - but often FR24 has more information about what something is or you can Google the hex code (ICAO) and it will often show historic flights with the aircraft identified for instance "AE625D ICAO".

Back
Top Bottom