Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

I wonder if someone can help. I've only really started running for a couple of months and havent done any running since school and I'm now 38.

Im running about 2 to 3 times a week as its all my legs will let me do. I suffer from shin splints so I got myself a decent pair of running shoes which have stopped my shins from hurting all together now but when I do my regular 5km run when I get to around 1.5 to 2km sometimes my legs feels like it gets all pumped up and aches to a point I cant run any more and have to walk quite a while to get rid of it.

Does anyone get the same thing and if so how can I prevent it from hapening as I think its impeding my progression as I would like to run more often so I can speed up my times. As a side note Im 5"10 and weight 95kgs so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm having the same problem... even though i've been using running shoes for ages my ankles/shins end up killing me after a little while and feel bruised for days before i can run again. Even long periods of rest of over a month from running didn't help and i'm ensuring that I only run on grass.

Any help would be good. I've never had this problem from sport in general i.e football, only running.

I wonder if someone can help. I've only really started running for a couple of months and havent done any running since school and I'm now 38.

Im running about 2 to 3 times a week as its all my legs will let me do. I suffer from shin splints so I got myself a decent pair of running shoes which have stopped my shins from hurting all together now but when I do my regular 5km run when I get to around 1.5 to 2km sometimes my legs feels like it gets all pumped up and aches to a point I cant run any more and have to walk quite a while to get rid of it.

Does anyone get the same thing and if so how can I prevent it from hapening as I think its impeding my progression as I would like to run more often so I can speed up my times. As a side note Im 5"10 and weight 95kgs so perhaps that has something to do with it.

How fast are you running your 5k? Could be a simple case of running too quickly. You want a good endurance base before looking to speed up. I'd concentrate on getting to say 10k before looking to get quicker, which may mean slowing down in the meantime.

Stumble bum, try the same. If you've taken a month off you can't really expect to get straight back into it and it'll take time to get back into the swing of things. Running on grass is all well and good for lessening the impact, although you may work your ankles more as grass is rarely a flat/even surface.

I didn't run at all in May (wedding/honeymoon got in the way!) and have had to ease myself back into training, the first few weeks were painful. I cut back both milage and pace initially, otherwise would've been heading for injury. Prior to May I was 60-70 miles a week and I'm only back up to 40 now, with about another month before things are back to normal.

Patience is the key!

Last edited:
How fast are you running your 5k? Could be a simple case of running too quickly. You want a good endurance base before looking to speed up. I'd concentrate on getting to say 10k before looking to get quicker, which may mean slowing down in the meantime.

Not very fast really, Im doing 5k in about 32 mins but admittedly Ive been trying to get that down to 30mins. Perhaps you're right, not having done any running since school and starting to run for only a couple of months and trying to speed up probabaly isnt a clever thing to do especially as Im on the rather heavy side and not very fit.

I'll slow down and see how I get on. Thanks for the advise. :)

Last edited:
Drowning!

Just had a couple of weeks in Spain on holiday but took my trainers. Even running at 8am or 9am it was high 20s, so only did about 15k to 20k over the two weeks between 4 runs.

Went out from home on Monday night (about 7pm) for 11k and looked like I'd run through a river when I got home - my t-shirt was horribly soogy - yuk!

Im off to Spain in a couple of weeks and was thinking that the best time would be 6am.

Not very fast really, Im doing 5k in about 32 mins but admittedly Ive been trying to get that down to 30mins. Perhaps you're right, not having done any running since school and starting to run for only a couple of months and trying to speed up probabaly isnt a clever thing to do especially as Im on the rather heavy side and not very fit.

I'll slow down and see how I get on. Thanks for the advise. :)

I was in the same boat Bear. Im now 38 and only started running 10 weeks ago. Again the last time was at school! Ive now got my 5k time down to 28mins on a good morning. I found that a great motivator has been using the Nike+ thingy with my IPod. Also, playing the right music helps. Good luck.

I was in the same boat Bear. Im now 38 and only started running 10 weeks ago. Again the last time was at school! Ive now got my 5k time down to 28mins on a good morning. I found that a great motivator has been using the Nike+ thingy with my IPod. Also, playing the right music helps. Good luck.

Thanks, hopefully I'll get down to a time like 28min for 5k then I'll push for 60mins for 10k but wont be for a while yet.

I'm staying in a hotel near Woking tonight and brought my running kit. Was great to run somewhere totally new and not feel like you know every inch of the route. Took in a bridlepath which ran through some fields - lovely and quiet :) Did about 12km which makes up for a couple of pints in the bar with my tea :D

I'm staying in a hotel near Woking tonight and brought my running kit. Was great to run somewhere totally new and not feel like you know every inch of the route. Took in a bridlepath which ran through some fields - lovely and quiet :) Did about 12km which makes up for a couple of pints in the bar with my tea :D

Yeah, my job takes me all over the UK. I was staying down in Portsmouth a few weeks ago and went for a run along the coast at Southsea.

After living the University lifestyle for about 4 years, I have decided to take up running. I am not overweight or anything but do have a very mild case of asthma (inhaler sorts this, anyone else have asthma and run?????).

I am now managing about 5k in 30 mins, which i am pleased about. I hope to keep increasing the distance, not bothered about the time.

I do have a pair of running trainers but they have not been "gaited". I do get a little bit of pain on my lower shins after running, then it goes away after a day and I will run again with no discomfort. I can only assume that this is not shin splints but more to do with either bad stretching or just using a muscle that hasn't been used in a while/ever.

Hehe! Thanks!

What would anyone have to say about rest days for beginners too? I usually run one day, rest the next etc, or is the whole recovery thing a load of rubbish for the distance I run at the minute?

Hehe! Thanks!

What would anyone have to say about rest days for beginners too? I usually run one day, rest the next etc, or is the whole recovery thing a load of rubbish for the distance I run at the minute?

I would definitely rest. Your distances may be low, but it's early days and you'll still be adapting. Why risk injury from overuse.

I know I could easily run again tonight after my long run yesterday, but it'd only have a knock on effect later on in the week and would expect my speed work to suffer as a result - hence I rest.

Been cycling more than anything recently and haven't ran for a month or so but went and did 3.51 miles in just under half an hour last night which I didn't think was bad for me. Both my shoelaces came undone during the run too, must have looked a right plonker.

Back
Top Bottom