Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Wish I could be optimistic about running, not run for a week. My ankles and shins are still sore. Going to go biking and swimming and limit my running from now on, unless its on grass.

Soldato
Wish I could be optimistic about running, not run for a week. My ankles and shins are still sore. Going to go biking and swimming and limit my running from now on, unless its on grass.

My take on grass, is that whilst it may be more forgiving it's also uneven which could put more stress on your ankles. I'd be looking at running on a treadmill for a bit maybe...

Associate
Hi guys

I need some advise i looking to get my 3 mile time down to around 20 mins or less, at the moment i can manage around 22 mins sometimes 21 mins depending how i feel ect.

I also looking to get my 5 mile time down from a horrible 40 mins to a more respectale 35 mins or less.

Anyone know some good advise for this? as atm i just doing 3 milers ect then once a week do either a 5 miler-9 miler at my local club.

Soldato
To get your times down once you've got the distance you need to introduce some speed work.

e.g for one of your 3 milers, run a mile below target pace, run a mile at target pace, then slower again for one mile. Or some intervals 0.5 mile warm up, 0.5 mile fast, 0.5 recovery, 0.5 fast, 0.5 recovery/cool down.

Add a speed session once a week in place of your normal 3 miler. try that and you should be able to get those times down.

Soldato
Had a bit of a 'mare this morning. Newark half mara. Intention to use it as a fast training run and set off as such, decided that I didn't like that idea and upped the pace after 2 miles but the heat got the better of me and I faded at the 9 mile point. Finishing in only 1:32:18.

Lessons to be learnt and to be honest, I should know better :p

Soldato
I've signed up to the Great Capital 5K in september (sounds grand...but thought it would be longer?!) but 5k is just fine with me!

Started training/running properly about 2 weeks ago and last week I got recommended some Lunar Glides at the running store so bought a Nike+ dangly thing to go with it which is so great as a little tool to motivate. Anyone on here on Nike+ ? would be great to add as friends!

I ran 6mi on Sunday around town in just a tad under an hour, included a bit of walking I must say! Felt great though, and even though I was worn out, I wasn't collapsing on the floor like I thought I would after 2mi! Really feel like I'm making progress, I guess this is where the motivation really sets in!

On a boring treadmill tonight :mad: I'll try and go for speed, I want to be able to get under 25mins for the 5k in september, is that a long shot? at the moment I do it in about 30 mins :( I made the mistake of doing interval training twice last week and felt the pain on the second time lol.

Soldato
Had a bit of a 'mare this morning. Newark half mara. Intention to use it as a fast training run and set off as such, decided that I didn't like that idea and upped the pace after 2 miles but the heat got the better of me and I faded at the 9 mile point. Finishing in only 1:32:18.

Lessons to be learnt and to be honest, I should know better :p

I'd quite happily take a 'mare of a race and clock 1:32 ;) :D

Liverpool 10k at the start of October is next up for me. My legs are still sore from 6 laps for our team at Sleepless in the Saddle over the weekend, so easy tonight and then ramp up. I'm hitting just under 32 minutes for 4 miles, so really scraping the lungs out should put me around 50 minutes for 10k.

Soldato
Chris, if you are hitting 4 miles in 32mins then you should be able to get a fair bit below 50mins in the heat of the race.

I've Notts marathon next in 4 weeks time, but may drop back to the half as I've a few mates running the half and as I'm not looking for a PB on that day I may prefer the thought of a few beers and post race banter.

Kappa - I just bought a pair of Lunarglides, no nike+ kit though as it weighs too much ;)
I'm still undecided as to whether they are as good as my normal shoes, but have only been out twice in them.

Soldato
Kappa - I just bought a pair of Lunarglides, no nike+ kit though as it weighs too much ;)
I'm still undecided as to whether they are as good as my normal shoes, but have only been out twice in them.

I went to SheRunsHeRuns in Bluewater, apparantly they are good, they seemed very good, told me my gait was weird and the lunarglide would be dynamic enough to support both feet individually! O_o

Only ran 20km in them so far, seem great at the moment :D

However it was a couple of quid dearer than the Nike Store around the corner :mad: but they did analyse me so I thought it was worth it lol

r.e. nike+ gear, its only because I couldnt afford the Garmin forerunner i wanted lol

Soldato
grrr :(

I've only started properly running for a few weeks, but I think I keep over doing it, and the day after next when try I run again my calves KILL! So i have to leave it 2 days at least before I run again. I guess that will go over time as my muscles get stronger in my legs?

Soldato
grrr :(

I've only started properly running for a few weeks, but I think I keep over doing it, and the day after next when try I run again my calves KILL! So i have to leave it 2 days at least before I run again. I guess that will go over time as my muscles get stronger in my legs?

Im a noob when it comes to running, (only been doing it for barely 2.5 months) but I found that running at a slower pace as recommended by others on here helped my calves and also make sure you doing a proper stretching session after your run.

Soldato
Im a noob when it comes to running, (only been doing it for barely 2.5 months) but I found that running at a slower pace as recommended by others on here helped my calves and also make sure you doing a proper stretching session after your run.

Yeah, I guess on sunday I did go at a quite relaxed pace (switching between 8-10 mins/mi)

Definitely do try to stretch a lot afterwards, is it possible to stretch that part on the front of your lower leg?

Soldato
Yeah, I guess on sunday I did go at a quite relaxed pace (switching between 8-10 mins/mi)

Definitely do try to stretch a lot afterwards, is it possible to stretch that part on the front of your lower leg?

8mins/mile is a relaxed pace if you are a 3hr marathon runner :p

Google tibialis stretch.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't have any issues with my calves, its more my shins. They feel fine until I've run about 500 metres and they start hurting, after about 5 mins it all goes away and can run fine. But it would hurt in the morning. Not sure what to do about my shins, doesn't seem to go away no matter how much I rest.

Soldato
8mins/mile is a relaxed pace if you are a 3hr marathon runner :p

:0 jeez.... I did like 2-3 mins at 8min/mi then 5 mins at 10min/mi... I guess that was some form of tempo running even though I was just going for a long run, just wanted to change pace a little! not change the type of workout lol

Soldato
I don't have any issues with my calves, its more my shins. They feel fine until I've run about 500 metres and they start hurting, after about 5 mins it all goes away and can run fine. But it would hurt in the morning. Not sure what to do about my shins, doesn't seem to go away no matter how much I rest.

do you mean the bone itself? or the muscle on the front to the outer of the shin bone? because thats a killer for me at the moment and i need to rest for like 2 days otherwise it will hurt like hell!

Back
Top Bottom