Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

I started running a couple of weeks ago doing the C25K (couch to 5k) program and so far I'm really enjoying running. My progress is coming along quite nicely and I've changed my diet a bit to keep carbs and protein in the right places.

I'll take what's been said by the OP and steer myself towards doing more.

I *think* I would like to enter a half marathon or less at some point, just want to get to the point where I can run without stopping first, ultimate goal is a 10 minute comfortable mile. :p

My progress can be seen here:

http://connect.garmin.com/explore?owner=henleybailey

Some of the data is off because I sometimes forget to press the lap button at the start or end of a session so my warm up/warm down is included also (5 mins walking either side).

Last edited:
Thats a really good effort, I ran for the first time in ages today, i very rarely run except from when i play sport (5 a side and tennis) but I got on better than I thought I would.. 3 miles in 27 mins! Not a bad effort I rekon but ill be paying for it tomorrow id imagine.
I plan on really upping my running in a bid to lose weight, but i go on holiday next week and feel ill will probs be better waiting til i return so I can get into the right mindset.

Tis the race season. I have Newark half, Notts full and Cardiff half lined up. Will prob take Newark and Notts relatively easy and go for a PB in Cardiff, then everything will be geared towards a PB in the London Marathon next year.

Anybody running any races in the coming months?

Well, I have never raced, ever. Not even a 5k.

At this moment in time, I am only really running about 5-6k so as you can imagine, I am suitably worried about being the slowest person ever to finish a 10k! I am not sure I will be upto the standard in time and it certainly won't be a speedy run.

Well, I have never raced, ever. Not even a 5k.

At this moment in time, I am only really running about 5-6k so as you can imagine, I am suitably worried about being the slowest person ever to finish a 10k! I am not sure I will be upto the standard in time and it certainly won't be a speedy run.

I'd wager you'll not be the slowest. Standard pre-race panic. The excitement on the day will be enough to get you around - don't underestimate the positive effect the race atmosphere will have on your performance.

Good luck! :)

Bummer. :(

Heel pain can be due to a few things. Rest a bit then ease yourself back into running, if still painfull may have to see someone in the know - see if any of your GPs have a sports medicine background as that'd be the cheapest option

Its going away, I reckon it could be a mild form of plantar fasciabut that is a self diagnosis!!! So probably wrong!!

Its going away but very slowly. I am thinking maybe I pushed myself too hard too quickly. Going to step it down to doing 4.2km for at least a couple of weeks then take it in slower step ups. Its either that or bad shoes, but they don't feel uncomfortable....hmmmm....or maybe even not stretching enough, like pulling my toes towards my shins etc.

Thanks for the advice firstborn, appreciated.

Last edited:
When I asked about running shoes, you all slated Nike/Addidas etc and said I needed to go to a "real running shop." What exactly is this and how can I find one? :D

Other question. On the treadmill for long runs ie 45 mins, what is better - running at a slower speed but an incline (say 7.5%) or running at a higher speed with 0% incline.

When I asked about running shoes, you all slated Nike/Addidas etc and said I needed to go to a "real running shop." What exactly is this and how can I find one? :D

Other question. On the treadmill for long runs ie 45 mins, what is better - running at a slower speed but an incline (say 7.5%) or running at a higher speed with 0% incline.

I wouldn't have slagged Nike or Adidas for running shoes. I find Nikes suit me (based on testing lots of different brands in shops). My girlfriends sister was recently analysed and she bought a new pairs of running shoes, the brand I forget. First run out she was getting crippled by them. So she bought a new pair of trusty Adidas shoes (what she had previously) and no pain at all.

Hence IMHO, until you know what suits you, forgot which brand you want and buy on what feels best.

As for finding a shop, where do you live / work?

I think I slated the suggestion of Nike Shox for running. I'm a long time Asic's shoe fan, but have just bought some Nike Lunarglides to give them a try as they seemed to be getting good reviews.

But as Chris has said buy what suits and we can't suggest anywhere to go when we don't know where you are.

As for the treadmill, I'd stick to 0% and vary the pace intially as you've just started running by the sounds of things?? Later on vary the incline as well to give the workout you require. Just change one variable at a time in the beginning, keep it simple.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I live in Tonbridge but can easily make the trek to London for the sake of getting some decent ones.

I've been running for years but never seriously. I would go for 15-20 minute runs on the roads, I now run for 40-45 minutes on the treadmill/roads.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. I live in Tonbridge but can easily make the trek to London for the sake of getting some decent ones.

I've been running for years but never seriously. I would go for 15-20 minute runs on the roads, I now run for 40-45 minutes on the treadmill/roads.

Cheers

Runnersneed, run and become, up and running all have shops in London. Either would be a good start, based on experiences with their other shops.

Runnersneed, run and become, up and running all have shops in London. Either would be a good start, based on experiences with their other shops.

Cheers for that. I will certainly give one of them a try, they don't expect you to turn up in running kit though?

Back
Top Bottom