Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Tell yer what though. Just been for gait analysis in Oxford. Got some new trainers and just been for a run. They did the power of good, I felt so much better for them. Cost me a fair bit of dosh but I reckon it was worth it. I shall report back tomorrow to see if there was any shin pain incurred!

Soldato
oof! Just went for a quick run, switching between 9.30m/m and 7.30m/m, 5 mins then 4 mins.

Only covered about 5km in 27mins, but I am shattered!

Soldato
Just done my first run since friday.... started the day with a 5 mile ride this morning
then a 2 mile run in the gym, then another 2 miles on the bike........i'm shattered too

Andy

Soldato
Brilliant stuff!

I went to the gym for 'leg day' today, I think because of the morning run my legs felt powered up and I lifted loads without too much pain! I guess I'll feel it tomorrow though :/

Associate
Im planning on running the London Marathon next year.
Ive got a pretty good running level already, around the 7min/mile mark for up to 10 miles.
Im just wondering if there are any other sorts of excercises i should be doing?

Soldato
Im planning on running the London Marathon next year.
Ive got a pretty good running level already, around the 7min/mile mark for up to 10 miles.
Im just wondering if there are any other sorts of excercises i should be doing?

Planning? Have you entered via the ballot?

Anyway, 7 min/miling over 10 miles is a pretty good base to build from. What would be your aim time wise for a marathon?

As for any other exercises (unless you count stretching), can't help as I only run :p

Associate
Planning? Have you entered via the ballot?

Anyway, 7 min/miling over 10 miles is a pretty good base to build from. What would be your aim time wise for a marathon?

As for any other exercises (unless you count stretching), can't help as I only run :p

Yer ive entered via ballot.
Im hoping for a sub 3 hour time, but as its my first marathon im not too sure how likely I am to get it. Anything below 3:30 would be good.

Soldato
I finally went for a gait analysis when I went back home to the UK last week and got fitted for some proper shoes, just as well really because I found that I over-pronate quite badly which is/was probably the cause of my knee pain. Once the guy in the shop had determined that I over-pronate and picked out shoes that would give me support I tried about 20 pairs of shoes fine tuning the exact size and what felt most comfortable. I ended up with a pair of Adidas Supernova Sequence in 8 1/2 which fit my foot shape like a glove and give me the support I need. I can recomend Frank Elford Sports in Plymouth.

Now I have nice comfy shoes that will support my foot well all I have to do now is actually get myself out and run :)

The dude at the shop did say I have to take the first few runs easy to get used to the shoes but I'm really looking forward to it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not the usual comment for this thread but I feel we need to show our appreciation for Eddie Izzard who is running 1000 miles across the UK for Sport relief. It's a brilliant effort and just goes to show what anyone can do with the right mental attitude.

See link:

http://eddieizrunning.com/

I'd forgotten about this, but respect to the guy if he completes it.

Soldato
Yer ive entered via ballot.
Im hoping for a sub 3 hour time, but as its my first marathon im not too sure how likely I am to get it. Anything below 3:30 would be good.

Good luck with the ballot then, I failed 5 years in a row :( But now in on a good for age :)

Sub 3hr is a big ask. You'd be wise to get in a half in the next couple of months to see how things are, you'd be looking at a 1:25 around now if looking for under 3 for a full.

No idea how you train but 'advanced marathoning' by Pfitzinger is a good read and the training plans are pretty good.

I'm also hoping for sub 3hrs in London 2010 btw.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been having some trouble with my knees so went to see a physio.

She basically said my biomechanics simply aren't suited to distance running and that I should think about other forms of exercise :(

She did say that triathlon could be a good idea though - still get to do some running but less frequency and distance (I won't be doing any ironmans anytime soon!) so I'm looking into that.

Soldato
This may sound REALLY stupid, but some places on the internet suggest taking a time out of running say 3-4 weeks with shin splints but my question is, are there any exercises that you would recommend that may help build tendon strength to prevent shin splints in the future? I'm having a nightmare with them at the moment. Even the slightest bit of running brings them back.

Daft bit:
While I sit at my desk every day at work, I'm going to try keeping my heel on the floor and just lifting the front of my foot off the ground. This seems to work the shin muscle in question.....anyone care pass their opinion?

Soldato
Put a little variation on last night's run. My good lady is training for the Liverpool 10k in October and I run with her as a steady pace run. She's clocking around 10 min/mile.

She was going to run a 5km route - I did an extra loop of 2km after we'd run 2km together. Gave us both a target (me to catch her, her to get home without being caught).

I didn't catch her but once solo, it has to the longest run at a sub 5 min/km pace I've done. Was fun to mix up the run a bit as well.

Soldato
I didn't catch her but once solo, it has to the longest run at a sub 5 min/km pace I've done. Was fun to mix up the run a bit as well.

Always good to add a bit off variety, especially if it involves chasing a lady. :p

I have the Notts half this weekend, I predict a slow'un. I've had to drop the mileage owing to other commitments and so haven't had time for any decent speed work. I just have to stay calm at the start!

Soldato
...I have the Notts half this weekend, I predict a slow'un. I've had to drop the mileage owing to other commitments and so haven't had time for any decent speed work. I just have to stay calm at the start!

Fairly relaxed and controlled effort this morning coming in at 1:29, happy with that all things considered. Now 4 weeks or so until Cardiff half and hopefully a time I'm a lot more happy with.

Ooo, I managed to get my ugly mug in one of the photo's on the BBC Notts site, will leave you to work out which one I is :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content/images/2009/09/13/marathon_01_470x310.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Did the Great Capital Run today (5k). First ever race, and it was amazing for that but I performed terribly. It was nice and cool today, started off at a good pace 8m/mi (I was aiming for 25mins). I kept thinking I was going too fast, I was slowly getting tired also, the last km I tried to blitz it. In the end I got 27mins 09s.

Across the line I was still ok for running, nowhere NEAR as tired and destroyed after a training run, so just knew I could have got 25mins if I had tried.

Problem I had was constantly thinking I was going too fast and also thinking it was wrong passing so many runners.

Oh well.. live and learn! Was great fun though, can see myself getting addicted to this races :D

Soldato
I just did my first run today, not the best weather for it as it's 22C and sunny right now :( but I managed to do 3.05Km in 20 mins by doing 1 min running then 1 min walking. It's a start I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom