Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
do you mean the bone itself? or the muscle on the front to the outer of the shin bone? because thats a killer for me at the moment and i need to rest for like 2 days otherwise it will hurt like hell!

I think it's the muscle. I reckon from reading your posts I am about the same level as you but after doing anything more than 5k my shins would be nailed! Rest doesn't seem to really cure it either. Maybe it's just a matter of time. I am trying to cycle a bit more than run at the moment as it is a bit less of a high impact exercise, bring my calves up to pace and rest the shins. That's the plan anyway. Prefer running though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's the muscle. I reckon from reading your posts I am about the same level as you but after doing anything more than 5k my shins would be nailed! Rest doesn't seem to really cure it either. Maybe it's just a matter of time. I am trying to cycle a bit more than run at the moment as it is a bit less of a high impact exercise, bring my calves up to pace and rest the shins. That's the plan anyway. Prefer running though.

Might be your trainers? Before, with some pants £40 adidas running trainers my shins (well, the muscle on the front) used to really hurt after about 2 miles, every time, with the new trainers which I got analysed for, I can run pretty much forever it seems, only overall leg soreness and no real pain after running for 5+ miles. Hope that helps.

Associate
anyone recommend me a good watch as i need to start working on my 3 miler+5 miler times and need a watch that can:

1: give accurate distance reading
2: give accurate min/mile reading
3:tell the time.lol

Any suggestions? looking to spend no more than 100 quid. but want something thats accurate as i need to get my times/distances right.

new target is 3 miles in 20 below...

Soldato
The latest on my running is that I have picked it up again, but have stripped it back to much shorter distances. Only going to increase it a lot slower from now on due to problems with my shins. 3.5km so far. Gonna keep this up another week then notch it to 4km and keep that for about 2 weeks and so on.

I think I tried too much too quickly with those 5 and 6km runs. My shins were ruined and still haven't recovered properly.

Soldato
Woohoo, hit my land mark goal today running 5km in 29.58. I know its a slow time for some of you but not having run at all since school and am 38 and only started 2 1/2 months ago I feel my fitness is coming on leaps and bounds. The goal was to run 5km in 30mins or under.

I've recorded all my runs and my first 5km time was 34.03 !! Now Im going to up my distance slowly and my next milestone is 10km in an hour although its probably going to take quite a bit longer than 2 1/2 months to do it.

Soldato
Woohoo, hit my land mark goal today running 5km in 29.58. I know its a slow time for some of you but not having run at all since school and am 38 and only started 2 1/2 months ago I feel my fitness is coming on leaps and bounds. The goal was to run 5km in 30mins or under.

I've recorded all my runs and my first 5km time was 34.03 !! Now Im going to up my distance slowly and my next milestone is 10km in an hour although its probably going to take quite a bit longer than 2 1/2 months to do it.

Awesome stuff mate, my best is about 28mins at the moment, and that includes 1 or 2 walking breaks, I guess I'm trying to run too fast! :(

Gonna have a bit of an interval/tempo session later when it cools down a bit, 5 mins off, 4 mins on for about 30 mins.

Soldato
Awesome stuff mate, my best is about 28mins at the moment, and that includes 1 or 2 walking breaks, I guess I'm trying to run too fast! :(

Gonna have a bit of an interval/tempo session later when it cools down a bit, 5 mins off, 4 mins on for about 30 mins.

Thanks :) Weird thing is, is that if you run slightly slower and dont take walking breaks, you would probably get that time down quite easily.

Soldato

Excellent. Just a matter of slowly upping the distance on your long/slow runs and a couple of seconds quicker pace on your fast runs (assuming you do them) and you'll hit that hour goal. Don't go overdoing it though :)

Soldato
I am going to go to Up And Running in Oxford on Friday for gait analysis. Can anyone explain what actually happens and how this helps? Do they pick out a brand or a particular brand of shoe afterwards of just fit some innersoles to my existing trainers. Do trainers really vary that widely?

Soldato
You run on a running machine and someone watches how your feet land. Some video it and show it back to you. They then pick a batch of trainers and you can try them on while they analyse again. Once you have a couple which straighten up your gait you can pick the most comfortable.

Soldato
I am going to go to Up And Running in Oxford on Friday for gait analysis. Can anyone explain what actually happens and how this helps? Do they pick out a brand or a particular brand of shoe afterwards of just fit some innersoles to my existing trainers. Do trainers really vary that widely?

where I got mine I kinda already had an interest in the LunarGlides, but they helped check they would be good for me, so hopped on the treadmill with them, the treadmill had a screen on the front which showed my feet landing as I ran, and this chap watched me also.

I did think it was 'convenient' that they said the first pair I tried (the ones I indicated i liked) were right for me. But 40km down in these babies and I'm still going good! :D

Associate
I'm wondering if this is the issue I get. Basically for the last 2-3 years my shins feel really stiff if I run, or even if I walk very briskly for more than 10mins or so.

I never/very rarely used to get this when I was younger, so I figured it was just down to me doing very little exercise and having gained a fair bit of weight.

My hope is that if I start doing a bit of jogging (with stretching beforehand) that I'll be able to make it go away. I do walk a fair distance each day (30mins each way between the station and work) but this obviously isn't enough to restore the flexibility.

I have the exact same problems, im going to see my gp about it tommorow, ive never had this problem when i was younger

Soldato
Another n00b here to say hello.....

Decided to get fit, so started with some gentle running last week. A week on and I can see
a massive improvement, so am feeling posistive.

Need to start to push myself more and sort my diet to loose some inches.

Andy

Soldato
Another n00b here to say hello.....

Decided to get fit, so started with some gentle running last week. A week on and I can see
a massive improvement, so am feeling posistive.

Need to start to push myself more and sort my diet to loose some inches.

Andy

Just don't overdo things as it's easily done. Other than that, g'luck!

Soldato
As a fellow running noob, I can personally vouch for what firstborn is saying. I have pushed myself harder than I should have done and as a result I've had a lot of trouble with my shins.

Back
Top Bottom