Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I started about two weeks ago doing 3 1/2 miles 3 times a week, as I need to get fit to join the Navy (haha at the oncoming gay jokes).

I started really slowly, had to stop a couple of time around the route the first time I ran it and the third time (was hot and midday), I think I started doing it in about 40 minutes (first time without stopping) but that was barely jogging :D

Just did the 7th run tonight and it took 30:48, on thursday it took 31:59 so improvement is happening.

I dont really feel knackered tonight so maybe I could have pushed a little bit earlier, or should I keep within the realms of relative comfort?

Next step is to go and get some new running shoes, where do I go in oxford to get them done properly?

Associate
I normally run 3 x 6 miles per week and just last weekend did a 10K race in 46m17s, is it realistic to consider doing a half marathon in two weeks time? The furthest I've ever run is 7 miles.

Soldato
I normally run 3 x 6 miles per week and just last weekend did a 10K race in 46m17s, is it realistic to consider doing a half marathon in two weeks time? The furthest I've ever run is 7 miles.

Yes. Don't go off to quiclyk and expect it to be uncomfortable towards the end, no shame in run/walking the last few miles if necessary. But you may surprise yourself. Get an entry in and good luck :)

Soldato
After talking to my hairdresser last night about getting fit in time for my friends wedding (I'm the best man) she mentioned that she had started running. She mentioned a running shop in Leicester that does gait analysis so I might be popping over there tomorrow to have a chat with them and start running. Not sure what to expect but I need to start getting fit, also tempted to join the local running club as that will give me more motivation to keep going.

Luckily there is a new running/cycling route near to where I live now so I have somewhere to run.

How does everyone know how long the run is? I was going to use google maps to plot a route and go off that, but not sure if there is a better way.

Soldato
Ok, I'm currently running on Wednesdays and Fridays so today I should be getting out for a run but my legs are still obliterated from playing football on Monday (just aching from working hard, no injuries)

I know that I should allow the muscles to heal but I feel that I'm just wimping out and should go out and run regardless.

Should I postpone the run until tomorrow and the Friday run to Saturday or just go out tonight and take it easy? I'm thinking the former is the wise choice.

Soldato
Ok, I'm currently running on Wednesdays and Fridays so today I should be getting out for a run but my legs are still obliterated from playing football on Monday (just aching from working hard, no injuries)

I know that I should allow the muscles to heal but I feel that I'm just wimping out and should go out and run regardless.

Should I postpone the run until tomorrow and the Friday run to Saturday or just go out tonight and take it easy? I'm thinking the former is the wise choice.

What's aching? If it's just your quads then I'd say go out and take it gently at first and see how it goes?

If it's everything from your toes up then perhaps give it a miss.

Soldato
My race pack for the Liverpool 10k (this Sunday) arrived yesterday.

Thanks to a heavy cold my 5k run on Wednesday night was the first time I've run in about two weeks. Bang goes trying to get under 50 minutes - grrr!

Soldato
Just this morning recieved my race pack for Cardiff half and Virgin London Mara. acceptance! Yay.

Plan to take it easy in Cardiff then back to basics prep for London. Only other event I've entered is the kilomathon in March (26.2 km), which should provide an indication of how things are looking for a decent sub 3hr in London.

Associate
just started running /jogging longer distances, did 30 miles yesterday at a admitadly very slow pace of 7 and 30 hours although for me thats faster then my usual 0mph sat on a chair :p (i walked the road bits) with no sign of hurt shins :D but if i was to do 6 on a road can feel my shins, any idea why that would be?

hoping its underdevloped calf muscles and so on, got some insoles for my feet already from the podiatrist to help with my weird feet but still not mcuh effect running on concrete.

Associate
yes but it just confuses me how my shins don't hurt now, but if i was to jog almost at a fast walking speed/similar pace on the road for 7 miles they would be in agony, trying to find a way to be able to road run a little for example i would like to be able to do 10km races and so for motivation and fitness, without worrying going to cripple myself for a month with shin splits(possibly)

Soldato
yes but it just confuses me how my shins don't hurt now, but if i was to jog almost at a fast walking speed/similar pace on the road for 7 miles they would be in agony, trying to find a way to be able to road run a little for example i would like to be able to do 10km races and so for motivation and fitness, without worrying going to cripple myself for a month with shin splits(possibly)

Its probably that your bone density isnt high enough for the discomfort to go away as well as under developed leg muscle. I can happily run no problems at all on a treadmill but road running makes my shins hurt and makes by legs burn (maybe because I cant pace myself easily unlike on a treadmill and run too fast).

Dont know if its true or not but a friend of a friend joined a running club whilst not having done hardly any excercise and was told not to run on the road for a least a year.

Soldato
52:53 for the Liverpool 10k this morning.

Not bad given the previously mentioned lurgy. Must have got my skates on for the last km as my split at 9km (on my watch) shows as 48:48

Soldato
just started running /jogging longer distances, did 30 miles yesterday at a admitadly very slow pace of 7 and 30 hours although for me thats faster then my usual 0mph sat on a chair :p (i walked the road bits) with no sign of hurt shins :D but if i was to do 6 on a road can feel my shins, any idea why that would be?

hoping its underdevloped calf muscles and so on, got some insoles for my feet already from the podiatrist to help with my weird feet but still not mcuh effect running on concrete.

Are you saying you covered a distance of 30 miles in 7.5 hours? Which would more or less mean you walked all or most of the distance?

Back
Top Bottom